Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Who do you think will be next?

Who do you think will be the next manager?   

114 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the new manager of Dundee FC?

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I just worry that directors judging coaches and managers on how they come across is not probably not a good basis for deciding what makes a good manager. Our board couldn't have been very impressed with Jim McLean's interpersonal skills as they let him cross the street.

Last season one of the Killie players said that Steve Clarke took three weeks to organise the defence and that all the players now know exactly what to do. You couldn't find that information out from interviewing Clarke or from looking at win percentages. You need first person accounts from the training ground. Does Nelms have the contacts to do some proper investigations to find the right man? I'd be surprised.

Brian Rice wasn't appointed at Hamilton because of a win % or an interview. He he was headhunted for the job after Accies used their contacts to unearth a very promising coach building a reputation for himself at another club.

I see where you are coming from. I thought that helping with the interview process was the right thing to do because it seemed to me that the board had maybe failed to dig deep enough into the actual performances of the teams that the candidate had managed. Actually getting some background information from third parties could be a better approach. I'd far rather we were looking to employ someone who had a job and was performing well in it at a level that was the equal of our Championship than pick some currently available manager who may have had impressive win percentages that had been earned by the candidate taking over someone else's players.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The problem is people like McCann and McIntyre have the gift of the gab and can tell a good story.

I think that’s why we have to go by the managers experience and how they have done in management before rather than them telling us how good they are.

44 minutes ago, BCram said:

Was wondering if we could help JN by giving him a few questions that he should be asking the candidates, maybe help him with the due diligence side of things.

1 how many players did you sign at your last job? Who were they? Then go and check if they are still playing and at what level they are playing.

2 When was your last job as a full time manager and who was it with? Who was your assistant? What budget did you have? Why do you want to come to Dens? I'm hoping that we won't be employing someone who has been unemployed for more than 1 month.

Any competent intervew panel would have all that information before meeting the candidate.

My questions would include;

1 In your last job, why do you think you lost the dressing room?

2.What made you think that the You Tube signings you made were better than the players you let go?  Had you seen them?  Was it co-incidence that they all came from the same agency?

3.Why do you think allowing your assistant to yell at the fourth official is going to make a difference.

4. Are you allergic to silverware?

5. In your last job, why do you think that you needed seven centre backs?

6. In your last job, how many of your nine loan signings had you seen?

7.Under what circumstances would you take off your best striker when you need a goal most?

8.How will you react if the window cleaner starts washing the dugout during the game.

6 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

BBC first out with quotes from today's press meeting with Nelms......

Some interesting words used, eg "toxic environment".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48264364

Probably more later this afternoon, maybe in the late Tele?

Sorry posted a bit woodstein in another thread - the main point being the criteria are changing!

2 hours ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Sorry posted a bit woodstein in another thread - the main point being the criteria are changing!

It was a challenge to work out the best topic to post it in! 

I think 'the criteria' will become JN's particular 'albatross' for his years in Dundee....I think it's fair to say they are 'evolving' with each & every appointment ;)

If Nelms is going to be going by certain criteria I hope he'll consider how good players can dramatically alter a manager's stats.

Stewart and Hemmings papered over the cracks for Hartley. Irvine and Boyce papered over the cracks for McIntyre.

If a manager is relying on star players to compensate for his own failings, you're asking for trouble if you parachute that manager into a new club with a crap squad.

19 minutes ago, Cobra said:

If Nelms is going to be going by certain criteria I hope he'll consider how good players can dramatically alter a manager's stats.

Stewart and Hemmings papered over the cracks for Hartley. Irvine and Boyce papered over the cracks for McIntyre.

If a manager is relying on star players to compensate for his own failings, you're asking for trouble if you parachute that manager into a new club with a crap squad.

Very true. Whoever parachutes into Dens next month is not going to find a crap squad, he's going to find hardly any squad at all, and no star players!  

1 minute ago, WoodStein said:

Very true. Whoever parachutes into Dens next month is not going to find a crap squad, he's going to find hardly any squad at all, and no star players!  

Precisely, so a history of turning water into wine should be in the job advert.

David Hopkin turned to water into Buckfast at Livi. It wasn't very enjoyable but it got the job done.

Not a lot in tonight's online Tele, seems it's tomorrow's printed edition that'll have the full story.....

by George Cran

May 14, 2019, 3:04 pm

Anger from the stands was a “big part” of Dundee’s decision to sack manager Jim McIntyre, according to club chief John Nelms.

The Dark Blues brought an end to McIntyre’s reign at the club on Sunday a week after the club’s relegation was confirmed with a 10th-straight Premiership defeat.

During that 1-0 loss to Hamilton at Dens Park, home fans made their feelings clear on the future of the manager.

And Nelms says he took that into account when the decision was made with owner Tim Keyes to part company with McIntyre.

Nelms said today: “Of course, that was a big part of the decision. You always take that into account.

“It’s a big deal. We want to entertain fans and we want the best for them.

“We’re gutted when we lose.

“It’s one of these things where it’s very emotional. We want it to be the best it can be.

“But when you lose 10 games on the trot it’s hard to be successful, although we did rebuild in a window that’s probably not the best to rebuild in.”

Dundee’s managing director says it’ll be next week at the earliest before the board decide who to charge with getting the club back up at the first time of asking.

He added: “We are going to collect at the information and then next week we will be making phone calls and shrinking our list down as we go.”

Reserve team coach James McPake will take the team for the final Premiership match of the season, this Saturday at home to St Mirren.

Grab an Evening Telegraph tomorrow for more from John Nelms.

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Precisely, so a history of turning water into wine should be in the job advert.

David Hopkin turned to water into Buckfast at Livi. It wasn't very enjoyable but it got the job done.

Ideally, we hire someone to do that, to get us out of the Championship....but get them to stay long enough to start adding on the 'better players' bit, when we get back up. 

Adblock Detected