The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
GregTeamDee

Who do you think will be next?

Rate this topic

Who do you think will be the next manager?   

114 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the new manager of Dundee FC?

3 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Making it personal?

By saying you were a voice of endorsement for McIntyre? 

I'm pointing out to you what you said, I'm hardly "making it personal". 

Of course the first priority is to get enough points, I fully expect the same soundbites to trotted out in a few months from the same people. If that's the peak of their ambitions, I'd want them nowhere near Dens either. 

Have you been on the juice! When you include the word "you" in a sentence,  as a quote, its personal. Do you understand? When did I give support to McIntyre? You're pointing out to me what I said? Dream on. 

3 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I'd like to be the first to say the next guy is a disgrace and not fit to enter the doors of Dens. You know, so when I'm proved right (as history tells us) I can be all smug and remind people how right I was*.

*I won't remember or care to be honest, a shake of the head and a "glad we've been put out our misery" is usually enough for me (as history tells us). :(

I'm not a serial gloater but when it was so glaringly obvious, and 99% of people were saying how great the appointment was because he was an ex player, loved the club, knew what he was doing, could spot a player blah blah blah I feel entitled to gloat a bit over the McCann situation but I promise never to mention it again 🤐

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prince Buster said:

I'm not a serial gloater but when it was so glaringly obvious, and 99% of people were saying how great the appointment was because he was an ex player, loved the club, knew what he was doing, could spot a player blah blah blah I feel entitled to gloat a bit over the McCann situation but I promise never to mention it again 🤐

Let's be honest I think everyone knew that he wasn't ready to be our manager, but I think at the time maybe Nelms bought into McCann's gift of the gab and one can hope JN has learnt a lesson from that.

Just now, TheDarkBlues said:

Let's be honest I think everyone knew that he wasn't ready to be our manager, but I think at the time maybe Nelms bought into McCann's gift of the gab and one can hope JN has learnt a lesson from that.

We can indeed only hope, it's all we have right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Its just that whoever gets the gig, there will be a section of the support that will slate them. McCann was a bit leftfield but talked the talk and did have some limited experience in the dugout. He wouldn't have been my first choice but being the cabbage I am, I try and get behind whoever is in the big chair. I'd have made a great 'SS camp guard', I blindly follow der leader. :lol:

1 hour ago, Spiritof62 said:

Some bad stories are doing the rounds about his time at Tanny.

I've heard bad things about robbo too. All I can judge him on is his record which is decent.

For me he ticks the most boxes.

Burley has a good record too and I wouldn't be against him being DoF or assistant but he's been out of the game for 5 years now.

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Erm.... it is Morten Wieghorst :)

Would you like me to change your name now or later? 🤣

To what, WeighorstsWong. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

50 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

Have you been on the juice! When you include the word "you" in a sentence,  as a quote, its personal. Do you understand? When did I give support to McIntyre? You're pointing out to me what I said? Dream on. 

No. No. No. At time of appointment. Yes. Hopefully. 

3 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

No. No. No. At time of appointment. Yes. Hopefully. 

I can hardly remember what I had for dinner last night, yet you can remember what I said 8 months ago. Wow! Do you keep notes what all posters say? Don't know if that's paranoia, obsession or just main stalking. Either way it's plain weird. Sorry I can't return the compliment. 

There are certain posters I remember things of at key times. You personally, anyone just has to mention Cammy Kerr in a bad light and marauding through the crowd comes thee like a red rag to a bull. 

You can think of it as stalking though. Those slippers need replaced, x.

2 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

There are certain posters I remember things of at key times. You personally, anyone just has to mention Cammy Kerr in a bad light and marauding through the crowd comes thee like a red rag to a bull. 

You can think of it as stalking though. Those slippers need replaced, x.

Wondered how long it would take! So predictable. Yes I would stand up for a player I like. What a crime. Not long ago you were gloating when Cammy was dumped for Horsefield, sure you remember him, and saying we were a much better team with him in it. Still stand by that.? You constantly preach that Kerr isnt good enough to be in the team yet 3 of the last 4 managers have made him captain. Wonder who's got the better judgement? Night troll.

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Wackyjim said:

I understand that.... Generally though when a club makes a request to a club to get permission to speak to their manager then nine times out of ten it's because that's the man they want?.... It's just an observation and that perhaps robbo is the preferred choice? 

Not necessarily. They need to speak to all to find out if they are passionate about wanting to manage the club.

The back page of tomorrow's Courier has us approaching Gordon Strachan to be "technical director".

If we have Strachan in then I'm thinking its Mcpake or Goodwin as manager 

5 hours ago, markthedee said:

The back page of tomorrow's Courier has us approaching Gordon Strachan to be "technical director".

We've just been relegated and we're struggling to shift season tickets because nobody wants to pay £350 or so to watch Alloa and Arbroath. How are we going to afford a name like Gordon Strachan in any capacity? 

23 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

We've just been relegated and we're struggling to shift season tickets because nobody wants to pay £350 or so to watch Alloa and Arbroath. How are we going to afford a name like Gordon Strachan in any capacity? 

My query would be : what is a technical directors role, who has been doing it previously and why now, in the Championship, is one required? 

• Like 1

Dundee have asked Alloa for permission to speak to Goodwin (Daily Mail). 

1 hour ago, Prince Buster said:

Exactly... Just paper talk, a case of don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see 

22 minutes ago, GregTeamDee said:

Dundee have asked Alloa for permission to speak to Goodwin (Daily Mail). 

AS I understand it we have asked permission to talk to several people.

1 hour ago, travellingdee said:

AS I understand it we have asked permission to talk to several people.

".....Derek Adams, George Burley, John Robertson, James McPake and at least two others are also on clubs radar...."  (as well as Goodwin)

Ref: Social media

Edited by Dondeh

We have to ask permission to interview anyone who is in a job so I wouldn't read too much into it - it does mean they are in the running though

4 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

It wont be if we can afford him, its more likely to be will he do it for the salary offered. When players go down a league they can hardly expect a top league salary, etc. The man does not need money but in saying that I think a bit of passion can go a long way to compensate for just cash.

I think it's amusing that Nelms appears to now be exploring the options that most of us have debated & suggested, but is still criticised/questioned when he does it ;)    

I thought it was clear in Nelms half-hour press conference last week that the Board would be likely to be considering various combinations, depending on the experience level of the short-list of management contenders....ie, experienced manager + his assistant / younger, less experienced manager + experienced mentor/dof. 

Strachan (& others, who may also be contacted) may be interested in some form of part-time/call-off 'consultant' role, which would also help resolve the widespread view on here that Nelms should focus more on the Camperdown development & hand over the hands-on football stuff to someone more experienced in it. We already have Eric Drysdale as Club Secretary, with years of football league/sfa admin experience, so we probably don't need a full-time 'DoF' type, but more an experienced 'mentor'....similar to Craig Brown's role with Aberdeen, as just one example.

We can only guess at what it might cost to establish that, but as it probably won't be anything like full-time, I'd bet it's less than the potential waste of squad budget having an inexperienced manager doubling up on all 11 positions as his insurance policy, constantly swapping them around, and paying half of them off next window. It seems unlikely we'll be running a reserve team while in the Championship, so that reduces our squad requirement down to roughly what Wattie was suggesting on another topic.

I think the Board are taking a sensible approach to this recruitment, with a few people involved in reviewing applications & whittling the list down from 150+ to the first 'short list' of first-stage interview candidates.....then seeking clubs permission to talk to one of their employees who appears to have applied....getting out & interviewing that list of varying-experience guys.....then reducing to a final 'short-list', with second stage interviews. If they conclude this & make the appointment next week, they'll have worked through the process in 3 weeks, and completed it by end of May, when player contracts expire. I'm fairly sure that's what most of us were looking for, isn't it?

.....but we'll still not all be happy with the choice(s), of course :)   

• Like 4
  • Star Post 5

27 minutes ago, GregTeamDee said:

A good interview about Jim Goodwin, saying he has the same philosophy as Jack Ross. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/alloa-athletic/jim-goodwin-from-midfield-hardman-to-sweetie-salesman-1-4432724

....but hates managers using the term "philosophy" :)  👍 

Written 2 years ago....time flies, I'd forgotten he's already been there over 2 years, taking Alloa up through the playoffs & keeping them up for 2 seasons as (I think?) the only part-time team. Believes in continuity within a club.....now that's something we've not seen much of for a while.