The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

What do folks consider an acceptable finish for the club next season, regardless of who the new management team is?

Say we finish 4th but get beat in the play offs, finish in the last 8 of both cups and win around 10 out of 18 home league games.  Is that an acceptable finish for a 1st season back in Championship?

34 minutes ago, Attilio said:

What do folks consider an acceptable finish for the club next season, regardless of who the new management team is?

Say we finish 4th but get beat in the play offs, finish in the last 8 of both cups and win around 10 out of 18 home league games.  Is that an acceptable finish for a 1st season back in Championship?

I think that'll depend on how that comes about. If we put together a squad that has a lot of potential, plays entertaining football, scores a few goals, wins some home games and clearly looks capable of having a stronger tilt at the title the next season then yes, I'd accept that, although it wouldn't be ideal.

I've no doubt that for many, though, anything less than promotion and for some, the title, will be acceptable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barkblue said:

I think that'll depend on how that comes about. If we put together a squad that has a lot of potential, plays entertaining football, scores a few goals, wins some home games and clearly looks capable of having a stronger tilt at the title the next season then yes, I'd accept that, although it wouldn't be ideal.

I've no doubt that for many, though, anything less than promotion and for some, the title, will be acceptable. 

All of the first part is fair enough and more or less where I am coming from myself.  Like you say I've no doubt that there are a good number that will view my scenario as a failure and probably worthy of another sacking and change of regime. Expectations.

• Like 1

I want to win the league first time, but not very confident 

3 minutes ago, gblue said:

I want to win the league first time, but not very confident 

We all want to win the league first off G but in the event we don't and we finish 4th ete etc as in my scenario.  Is there a possibility we should be looking for a new manager?

Win the league by Christmas and lift the Scottish Cup after waiting 110 years 😎...... Seriously though if we can make the playoffs then that would be considered reasonable success... there's a lot of battle hardened clubs in that league that know how to scrap while we're away to build a new team from scratch , it's going to be tough 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Attilio said:

We all want to win the league first off G but in the event we don't and we finish 4th ete etc as in my scenario.  Is there a possibility we should be looking for a new manager?

If we're, say, 25 points off top and maybe 8 points from 9th, then yes, but if as I described above then I'd certainly hope not. 

If there are clear signs of progress then the constant change needs to stop. I hoped we'd still have Hartley at this stage and then more recently I'd hoped that McIntyre would have at least shown enough, even if in relegation, to hint that he might be the answer, but it wasn't to be unfortunately. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wackyjim said:

Win the league by Christmas and lift the Scottish Cup after waiting 110 years 😎...... Seriously though if we can make the playoffs then that would be considered reasonable success... there's a lot of battle hardened clubs in that league that know how to scrap while we're away to build a new team from scratch , it's going to be tough 

If we're not top  4 I'd call that a poor season next year. Unless of course we're playing a bunch of 15 year olds like some have suggested, then I'd call it a massive success.

• Funny 1

40 minutes ago, Attilio said:

That’s the problem with us Dundee fans we do want instant success, we do think it’s our right I think we have to get a man in that can build a team that can get us promoted within 2 seasons 

who that man is I don’t know 

• Like 1

at least play offs.. 

Right now I’d settle for making the play offs considering the huge upheaval our playing squad and management are about to go through. However come this time next year if we finish 4th I’ll no be a happy bunny probably 😆

• Like 2

I would be happy with play offs 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Attilio said:

Ayr United are a much smaller club than Dundee. They finished fourth in the league and lost out in the play-offs. Ayr have won five of their last 24 games. If Dundee had that kind of form in the second tier the support would be absolutely livid and screaming for the manager's head. We know that for sure because that's the kind of run Kerno had.

Therefore I think it's fair to say that Dundee having a season like Ayr just had would probably be unacceptable. 

We really need to be challenging for the title. Scraping into the play-offs will be a poor season unless we somehow get promoted.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

I am hoping for the promotion but fearing a battle to prevent relegation. 

I don't get this.....

I cannot remember the last time that we were in the Championship or the 1st Division over the last 20 years that we were even close to being relegated from those divisions. Even when we were docked 25 points we still ended up mid table.

Let's be honest, this is what you want because it will be another reason for you to beat FPS with a stick.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I don't get this.....

I cannot remember the last time that we were in the Championship or the 1st Division over the last 20 years that we were even close to being relegated from those divisions. Even when we were docked 25 points we still ended up mid table.

Let's be honest, this is what you want because it will be another reason for you to beat FPS with a stick.

I have previously posted that normally when a team is relegated their supporters think that most of the players will be kept on as they are good enough to win promotion the next season. 

However the current Dundee team has been full of loan players and players who are out of contract at the end of this season. 

Unless there is a miracle and our new manager signs almost a whole new team who immediately gel I fear for next season. 

Dundee FC are historically slow starters in their league campaign and if it is another slow start then it will be a difficult season especially as there are will be several teams playing in the Championship who are former Premier League teams. 

Hopefully the club will not go on a pre season overseas trip as in my opinion they are a waste of time and money. 

Like any club, any season and in any division avoiding relegation is the first and most important target, will we be able to do that? Who knows but I'd say we have a right to expect not to be relegated.

We have no right to expect to be promoted automatically however that has to be what we dream of going into the season otherwise it's not worth bothering.

Reality is that the club has been subjected to some atrocious decision making, appointments and signings over the past two / three years and it now looks a shambles top to bottom. The clear out has started, albeit about two months too late, so it does give some hope for next season. I know the next move I want to see but we'll hold off on that one for now.

If we have an effective clear out and bring in the right manager and the right type and mix of player we should be aiming to firstly survive and then hopefully book a play off spot. That will give a base to kick on into the next season. If it goes wrong again and we end up with the statistically correct and cheap, easily available managerial option who signs more journeymen, loans and disinterested players we could be in for another long season.

In summary I expect not to be relegated, hope to finish top four and would dream of a straight back up season. Anything less than top four is disappointing whilst relegation could easily finish the club.

Maybe we should just not get too excited about cups until we see how the squad shapes up?

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

Bare bare minimum is top 4

We get told how tough the Championship is, but it’s a relative walk in the park compared to when there was no play off route on offer...

Two clubs in Inverness and Dunfermline slashing there budget, Falkirk out the league also it’s not as tough as it may well look at first glance.

All this depends on recruitment and who the next manager, let’s hope we get them right as compared to last season.

Edited by Mr Sensible
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I don't get this.....

To be fair didn't Patrick Barclay not fear the same and I'll bet Jags fans didnt think they would be fighting relegation when they went down.

I feel sick saying it but I hope United go up now. We can do without another club in the league with a budget to match ours. Could also do without the distraction of 4 Derby games. In saying that I’ll still be pishing myself in they lose to Inverness or St Mirren/Hamilton. I’m hoping to win the league obviously but a play off place has to be the absolute minimum. 

It's going to be difficult as we will be up against some really good sides.  The championship is much stronger than it used to be and we will be up against any two from United, Inverness, St Mirren or Hamilton.  Any of them will be likely to challenge strongly and I can't see Partick having such a poor season again.  The likes of Ayr United and the rest are pretty decent sides as well so I can see it being very competitive and very tight between top and bottom.  Having said that, one side will now probably romp home and win the title by Christmas.

Acceptable season is promotion, be that via the play offs or automatically. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Like any club, any season and in any division avoiding relegation is the first and most important target, will we be able to do that? Who knows but I'd say we have a right to expect not to be relegated.

We have no right to expect to be promoted automatically however that has to be what we dream of going into the season otherwise it's not worth bothering.

Reality is that the club has been subjected to some atrocious decision making, appointments and signings over the past two / three years and it now looks a shambles top to bottom. The clear out has started, albeit about two months too late, so it does give some hope for next season. I know the next move I want to see but we'll hold off on that one for now.

If we have an effective clear out and bring in the right manager and the right type and mix of player we should be aiming to firstly survive and then hopefully book a play off spot. That will give a base to kick on into the next season. If it goes wrong again and we end up with the statistically correct and cheap, easily available managerial option who signs more journeymen, loans and disinterested players we could be in for another long season.

In summary I expect not to be relegated, hope to finish top four and would dream of a straight back up season. Anything less than top four is disappointing whilst relegation could easily finish the club.

Maybe we should just not get too excited about cups until we see how the squad shapes up?

Aye that’s a good post there PB but cut to the chase - are you renewing or no?

7 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

I have previously posted that normally when a team is relegated their supporters think that most of the players will be kept on as they are good enough to win promotion the next season. 

However the current Dundee team has been full of loan players and players who are out of contract at the end of this season. 

Unless there is a miracle and our new manager signs almost a whole new team who immediately gel I fear for next season. 

Dundee FC are historically slow starters in their league campaign and if it is another slow start then it will be a difficult season especially as there are will be several teams playing in the Championship who are former Premier League teams. 

Hopefully the club will not go on a pre season overseas trip as in my opinion they are a waste of time and money. 

Historically slow is like having a bogey team. It’s nonsense new players should be affected by the past as I doubt they have any knowledge of the past

• Like 1

Play offs minimum for me. Decent budget/ parachute payment/ new management team/ 9 point bonus off the filth when they make an a**e of play offs