Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The Play-offs

Cobra

The dabs  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want United to stay down?

5 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

You see now why McCann was trying to make Dundee a passing team. The football in this play-off has been appalling but let's face it this is what we will be facing next season. We could not compete with Saints and Hamilton because of bad tactics and a manager who came to the end of the season not knowing or having a clue what was his best team.

It was a interesting idea of McCann's to make us Scotland's passing team. It might have paid off eventually but like De Boer at Palace and Caldwell at Partick, it's suicidal to implement that on day one and force ordinary players to try and play in that way.

The "I won't compromise on my principles" line is not acceptable at a club in danger of relegation. The confidence of the players will collapse if other teams take advantage before the philosophy starts to work.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
42 minutes ago, Cobra said:

After reading Harry's view on tonight's game I'm relieved Saints are still in this. He seems pretty clued-up on the Championship and fancied United to stroll it.

On Sunday afternoon we can all gather to (hopefully) laugh at United staying doon for good.

To be fair, I haven't seen United a huge amount apart from the BBC Scotland games and I wouldn't be reading too much into what I say about anything! I usually do brace myself for the worst when it comes to United. I can't remember the particular stats but St Mirren and Hamilton have been pretty much the worst in history (aside from us) on so many metrics this season in terms of passing success and general ability to attack and defend, in any normal year they'd have been straight down so I think it's a great year for United to have this opportunity,

I still fancy them away from home when St Mirren start attacking more, you could see that they were very very cautious about retaining possession - only really McAllister had any sort of spark and although Connolly got a bit wound up, I didn't think that Cooke boy was really much of a problem whereas Safranko come on and won a few things in the air. Good management from Kearney though with the whole Hodson on McMullan - it reminded me a bit of when Cadden was ripping teams apart so we put Cammy on him at left back and he never got a sniff (I'm sure we lost a shitfest of a goal to lose that game though).

Hoping for some United tears in front of the BT Sports cameras. A repeat of the boy in the glasses giving the camera the finger would be superb.

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

To be fair, I haven't seen United a huge amount apart from the BBC Scotland games and I wouldn't be reading too much into what I say about anything! I usually do brace myself for the worst when it comes to United. I can't remember the particular stats but St Mirren and Hamilton have been pretty much the worst in history (aside from us) on so many metrics this season in terms of passing success and general ability to attack and defend, in any normal year they'd have been straight down so I think it's a great year for United to have this opportunity,

I still fancy them away from home when St Mirren start attacking more, you could see that they were very very cautious about retaining possession - only really McAllister had any sort of spark and although Connolly got a bit wound up, I didn't think that Cooke boy was really much of a problem whereas Safranko come on and won a few things in the air. Good management from Kearney though with the whole Hodson on McMullan - it reminded me a bit of when Cadden was ripping teams apart so we put Cammy on him at left back and he never got a sniff (I'm sure we lost a shitfest of a goal to lose that game though).

Hoping for some United tears in front of the BT Sports cameras. A repeat of the boy in the glasses giving the camera the finger would be superb.

Yeah I know you were just giving an off-the-cuff view of things Harry, but you seem more knowledgeable of the lower leagues than most of us so it made me think that maybe United would do better than I expected.

It's good to read your comments on other teams because I tend to focus 95% of my attention on Dundee. During the seven years we spent in the First Division I completely lost touch with the top division. I remember United played Aberdeen and I didn't know any of their players because I stopped following the league.

Hopefully I'll have a reason to find out about the United team in the summer.

As for them being in tears I'm not sure that'll happen. From what I remember they seemed to accept the play-off defeat to Accies without much fuss. Maybe a last-minute defeat is needed to really make them suffer!

10 hours ago, Budgem said:

Reynolds and Connolly.

They're certainly great at 'hoofing' the ball forward ffs!! Fu##ing brutal!!😯

Connolly is quite comfortably one of the worst CH's I've ever seen. No idea where the 'great business' line has come from. Hecan barely run, can't pass nor can he read a game. He slashes at nearly everything and likes to blame everyone else around him. 

St Mirren were very comfortable last night, playing it about at the back. Heaven knows the keeper got enough touches :lol:

Can't see anything but a comfortable win for them - might be closer if United drop Sow for Safranko and push Robson up to left midfield. 

Neilson looks like a rabbit in the headlights tbh. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Head Shaker said:

I agree that it was a painful watch but one player stood out for me, not McMullan who is a pest to defences but the Algerian lad Bouhenna, if they have the expected clearout in the summer we can do a lot worse than him.

I think Dab keeper is also very decent. Reads the game very well and has strong hands. Definetly a keeper that will earn a club points over the course of a season rather than costing them. 

• Like 1

I would imagine after last night's result Arabs will be hopeful rather than optimistic or pessimistic. St Mirren grew into the game and home advantage may be crucial. McMullen causes problems with his pace and directness up front but Sow showed why he has only scored once for them. Pawlett was annonymous. I was very impressed with Saints McAllister, and MacKenzie at the back plus Cooke could be more of a handful in Paisley. Roll on Sunday.

1 hour ago, DFC1974 said:

I think Dab keeper is also very decent. Reads the game very well and has strong hands. Definetly a keeper that will earn a club points over the course of a season rather than costing them. 

What a god awful game last night.

Is this the quality of players that will be available to us next season?

Pray to god our new manager can find some decent players from somewhere.

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

It was a interesting idea of McCann's to make us Scotland's passing team. It might have paid off eventually but like De Boer at Palace and Caldwell at Partick, it's suicidal to implement that on day one and force ordinary players to try and play in that way.

The "I won't compromise on my principles" line is not acceptable at a club in danger of relegation. The confidence of the players will collapse if other teams take advantage before the philosophy starts to work.

You have to start somewhere, even with ordinary players. We had our moments with the passing game against St. Mirren, Aberdeen, St.Johnstone and Motherwell where we imposed ourselves on the opposition. Fair enough against Motherwell I think we were 2 down before we got into the game. The passing game had it's downside as well. We dominated Hibs for half an hour and yet in that time we did not create a single chance leaving there goalie without having to make one save. I am not defending McCann, I was as frustrated as the next person by his changes of personnel and formation for each match, but I fully believe that the way we play football is what is behind our demise in Europe and at international level. For instance you have MacKenna at Aberdeen saying it is imperative for Aberdeen to get into Europe. What have Aberdeen done in Europe these last years. They have gone out in the first qualifying round each time and this season against a very average Burnley team. They are supposed to be one of our better teams and when it comes to Europe they are miserable failures. Celtic have been a complete embarrassment when it comes to playing the top sides in Europe. It did not use to be like that. Dundee, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline along wth the OF used frighten the living daylights out of European teams. They just simply did not want to be drawn against us. Now Scottish teams are looked upon as being an easy passage to the next round even by average European teams. We simply have to improve technically and especially our running off the ball as well as our running with it. Last night's game showed all that is ugly about our game hoofing the ball up the park hoping for the best.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

While I detest the delusionist dayglows next door and love to see their pain,  in some ways I wouldn't be that troubled at them going up after today, avoiding us the distraction of derbies as we are forced to rebuild with extra pressure on a new manager of doing better than them in the table. On saying that, staying down would severely hurt them financially. It's a tough one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

While I detest the delusionist dayglows next door and love to see their pain,  in some ways I wouldn't be that troubled at them going up after today, avoiding us the distraction of derbies as we are forced to rebuild with extra pressure on a new manager of doing better than them in the table. On saying that, staying down would severely hurt them financially. It's a tough one.

A season that's remembered for the season when we crashed doon, whilst at the same time, the ither lot got their promotion, is gonna be really hard tae swally for me. So right from the outset, I'll lay my cards on the table ... Eh want them to get hammered fae St. M. today.

But I think I can see whar ye are coming from Parcabra. Were they to get promoted, it should be the case (theoretically) that it might open the door a little more, for us to get that promotion spot ... But of course there is no guarantee of that (as we know from past experience) I do not see the possibilities of "Derbies" doon there as a distraction. It's a chance for both clubs to make a good bit more gate money ... And of course there is the added excitement. And if all goes according to plan, with the recruitment of the new manager (& team) we should be thinking of new players that will & can rip the erse of teams such as the Arabs.

If the Arabs do win today, the big gloatin' will start .. And I don't think I am ready for that quite yet.

On the other hand, if they do get beat, it will be near impossible for them to take...Shame that :excited:

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 06:47, WeighorstsWang said:

Connolly is quite comfortably one of the worst CH's I've ever seen. No idea where the 'great business' line has come from. Hecan barely run, can't pass nor can he read a game. He slashes at nearly everything and likes to blame everyone else around him. 

St Mirren were very comfortable last night, playing it about at the back. Heaven knows the keeper got enough touches :lol:

Can't see anything but a comfortable win for them - might be closer if United drop Sow for Safranko and push Robson up to left midfield. 

Neilson looks like a rabbit in the headlights tbh. 

Well called 😆

Adblock Detected