Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Directors of Football?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I suppose the need for a DOF will depend entirely on who is appointed as manager, I would imagine a rookie like Jim Goodwin might appreciate and benefit from one but someone like Tommy Wright wouldn't. From your selection I think I would go for Jim Duffy 

Because it's an unusual set-up in Scotland we would need to make sure the DoF and manager are very compatible to avoid conflict.

Jefferies/McCann for example might have worked out because the trust would have been there from the start.

It was interesting to hear JN respond to the questions (in the 30 min video from Dens) regarding possible DoF. They appear to have used guys like Craig Brown periodically for advice, but it doesn't sound like a DoF is a short-term option....I guess it would delay hiring a new manager, as we'd presumably want the DoF to be very much key to the selection process?

JN suggested that, if they liked a less-experienced younger manager, they'd consider pairing him with a DoF-type / Jeffries-type assistant.  

[by this I mean they'd be looking positively at a young manager who had already found his potential 'mentor' to work with him....I don't mean we'd hire the mentor independently]

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Because it's an unusual set-up in Scotland we would need to make sure the DoF and manager are very compatible to avoid conflict.

Jefferies/McCann for example might have worked out because the trust would have been there from the start.

I can't see us getting a DoF in, its basically an admission that they're not ready as a manager. If we had a DoF in first then the First Team Coach would be applying for that job but I'm not sure we're 'mature' enough behind the scenes yet for it to work.

The Dof does not necessarily need to be an elder gentleman, part of his role should be going to watch  players play football throughout the country, I can’t see someone in there 50s or 60s being enthused about watching reserves or 18s.

The role is needed to stop the likes of Moussa,Yordi, Madianga and countless others being signed over a best bits video.

knowing the Scottish market and the going rate for players is also essential.

For me the DoF needs to be the person who ensures we stick to a set strategy for player recruitment regardless of who the manager is and therefore protects the club from continual high player turnover. Looking at what has happened over the last 3-4 years, its almost become imperative that we get a DoF  asap!!!

23 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

If we need a Director of Football, then it means that the manager should be no where near the club as he won't be good enough.

DOF is just a fancy word for baby sitter.

It's a wage we don't need at Dundee. 

A good manager with contacts and who has a good & his own backroom team (Assistant, scout etc..) will not need a DOF. 

Also, a DOF won't be useful if we have a manager that doesn't want one or is too stubborn to use him. Didn't Nelms rule out having a DOF this week? If a manager wants to seek advice, pick up the phone. 

We need a manager that has experience of rebuilding teams and has contacts. We need a manager for the long term. It's a very attractive job Dundee; A new manager can bring in their type of players instantly without waiting a season or two. New training ground and in the future, new stadium (if they last that long).  They should finish at least in the play-offs (Csaba did with United...) and have a great chance of instant success (promotion). Dundee have a good budget, stable ownership and an excellent fan base. 

Gary Naysmith and Kenny Miller both stated, its a very attractive job for managers out of work, but also in work. 

Adblock Detected