The Dark Blues
Cobra

Players Dundee Nearly Signed

Rate this topic

Or at least were heavily linked with a move to Dens.

Robert Snodgrass, Georgi Kinkladze. Any others?

26 minutes ago, deesforever1893 said:

Don mackay turned down the chance to sign Michael Laudrup 

True it may be, but for some context, Michael Laudrup was only 18 when Don McKay left Dens, and was just started in his pro career....though his international debut was at that age. I'd guess McKay was aware of him through the Danish youth system, as he managed a lower-league team in Denmark before we hired him.

McKay was building a pretty good team, got us to the LC final v 'them', when we were in the 2nd level....but had a fallout with the board over selling some of his best players. Another bad board decision.

28 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Chris Kamara. Reported £50k transfer from Luton Town fell through if I mind right.

Miss out on signing Chris Kamara for £50k and sell Glen Kamara for £50k, it doesn't get more Dundee than that :D

• Funny 4

1 minute ago, WoodStein said:

True it may be, but for some context, Michael Laudrup was only 18 when Don McKay left Dens, and was just started in his pro career....though his international debut was at that age. I'd guess McKay was aware of him through the Danish youth system, as he managed a lower-league team in Denmark before we hired him.

McKay was building a pretty good team, got us to the LC final v 'them', when we were in the 2nd level....but had a fallout with the board over selling some of his best players. Another bad board decision.

Exactly right Woodstein,I’m just following the theme of the thread

we nearly signed Michael Laudrup

9 minutes ago, deesforever1893 said:

Exactly right Woodstein,I’m just following the theme of the thread

we nearly signed Michael Laudrup

Aye....my comments were just in case people thought we might have turned him down while he was a fairly big name. Like Snodgrass, though, we could have had him & both of those players didn't take long to become household names.

Wonder how Laudrup's career might have gone, had he taken the route Weighorst took a few years later? 

I think Attilio Lombardo was on our radar at the time we had other Palace players (Billio, Del Rio). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Edgar davids 😂

When I saw the thread title this was the first name I thought of, I mind (I think) The Sun photshopping him into a Dundee jersey and I kept the back page (stolen from work) for years, might still have it somewhere.

Maradona agreed to play for Dundee for one game  in 2001. That could have been quite a year for Scottish football as that same year Ronaldinho also agreed to join St Mirren and of course Caniggia was already at Dens.

1 hour ago, DFC1974 said:

I think Attilio Lombardo was on our radar at the time we had other Palace players (Billio, Del Rio). 

Both Lombardo and Roberto Mancini. 

Mark Lillis - came up, watched a game, didn't fancy it.

John Durnin - went to Portsmouth instead.

Paul Harvey - Stuart Cosgrove actually announced his signing had gone through on Off the Ball.

Ivan de la Pena - didn't turn up at the airport for Giovanni, or am I imagining that one?

Alex Bunbury - red tape stopped him signing.

Jackie Dziekanowski - I'm sure cowboy tried to get him in. Red tape again.

Stipe Plazibat

Toni Martinez

Carlton Cole

Macauley Bonne

Lewis Shankland

Edited by Dondeh

2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Ronaldhino on loan was proposed once

That was St Mirren.

Edit : unless you mean at the end of his career?

Edited by WeighorstsWang

Djalminha from Deportivo didn't turn up at Edin airport to meet Duffy when Di Stefano was at the club , he did one of best tricks id seen in a la liga game

• Love 1