The Dark Blues
Cobra

Most Damaging Signings

Rate this topic

Which signings hurt the club? Caballero might be a contender (despite his brilliance) as he cost £700k and I think we had real problems financially after the dabs targeted him and got him seriously injured.

More recently the three-year deals for Williams and Vincent felt like a noose around our neck once we realised we didn't want them in the team.

NM's #9

Moussa

Edited by Dondeh

We paid Stephen Hughes a fair bit of cash for 45 minutes of football.

• Like 1

Just now, Dondeh said:

NM's #9

Moussa

That's an interesting choice. He only really spent one season in our first team and played a key role in keeping us in the division, even if he did drive people nuts with some of his misses.

• Like 3

Stephen Hughes , Colin Cameron , Darren Young , Vincent , Williams , Bob Malcolm - all spring to mind as they would be on good money (dundee wise) and we`re either finished or goosed injury wise.

Would never put Cabby in that given how much of a joy to watch he was and anyway it was Ivano who paid the 700k on him  😉

• Like 2

Neil McCann and most of the dross he subsequently signed. A truly shocking appointment at the time that we're paying for with interest now.

• Like 2

Just now, Prince Buster said:

Neil McCann and most of the dross he subsequently signed. A truly shocking appointment at the time that we're paying for with interest now.

PB, I would argue that we were in a more favourable position when McCann left than when we took over.

We were in freefall after 7 straight defeats including the 7-0 horror show and we were preparing for the Championship when McCann came in. When he was sacked we were almost level with St Mirren, Hamilton and Motherwell with 25 games to play.

I'm not trying to make out McCann was a success but this idea that he destroyed the club, it's simply not true IMO, and I suspect the board wanted those filthy cheap lower league signings to cut costs.

• Like 4
  • Star Post 1

Craig Burley and Ravenelli..didnt help the finances too much

I don't know what Fan Zhiyi was earning but it felt like he was on a holiday at times. Why did we pay £200k for him? I think Peter Marr thought he was going to sell Dundee shirts in China. Who knows?

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

I don't know what Fan Zhiyi was earning but it felt like he was on a holiday at times. Why did we pay £200k for him? I think Peter Marr thought he was going to sell Dundee shirts in China. Who knows?

Yes exactly this plus hoping the Chinese in Scotland would come and support us

I think we also paid £200k for Jim Leighton, the greatest goalkeeper of his generation, and because he wasn't comfortable with the new backpass rule he sat on the bench behind Paul Mathers in the First Division!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJ45 said:

Burley was a distater - horrible human in every way , Ravanelli i dont have issue with esp after hearing how he took time with the youth players , you`d think the opposite of a world wide name coming to little ole dundee but heard he was a class act , think he would have ended up a cult hero at dens had he been able to stay a season - was just glad i got to see him in a Dundee shirt.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Aye dont think Fan really cared for Dundee , can see why the marrs did the deal tho in hoping we`d make a fortune in china as he was like the david beckham of his country but aye we never did crack China 😁

Just now, gblue said:

Yes exactly this plus hoping the Chinese in Scotland would come and support us

Apparently Son Heung-min is the most popular sportsman in Asia and that must rake in the cash for Spurs.

Dundee signing China's captain potentially could have made us a serious wedge of cash but for some reason we just never brought in the money back then.

Rangers took Kamara recently but the Old Firm never came if for Nemsadze. We should have made half a million from him. He was sensational.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

Rangers took Kamara recently but the Old Firm never came if for Nemsadze. We should have made half a million from him. He was sensational.

Mind back then the old firl had brilliant central midfielders , scotland standard back then was something else but aye im sure celtic did enquire about Nemsadze

Just now, CC33 said:

Mind back then the old firl had brilliant central midfielders , scotland standard back then was something else but aye im sure celtic did enquire about Nemsadze

Rangers and Celtic had ridiculous quality at that time. Larsson and Laudrup were unplayable at times.

For me Georgi on his day played on Laudrup's level and he'd probably walk into the current Celtic team. I suppose the OF just didn't need that kind of player at the time.

15 minutes ago, CC33 said:

Burley was a distater - horrible human in every way 

This. I work with a boy who was youth when Burley was there. Swanned around the club telling everyone how much of a shitehole it was, how he had a better gym in his 'second home in Derby' and belittling everyone from players to the folk doing the kits. 

Run up a massive bill in a hotel as he refused to rent or buy and then fucked off. Apparently when they emptied the room they got a fair amount of suits out of it. 

1 minute ago, WeighorstsWang said:

This. I work with a boy who was youth when Burley was there. Swanned around the club telling everyone how much of a shitehole it was, how he had a better gym in his 'second home in Derby' and belittling everyone from players to the folk doing the kits. 

Run up a massive bill in a hotel as he refused to rent or buy and then fucked off. Apparently when they emptied the room they got a fair amount of suits out of it. 

Aye doesnt surprise me in the slightest then Ravanelli by all accounts was the opposite and look at the difference in what they did in the game... still cant stand Burley to this day

I worked at Parkhead in 1999 and I remember Burley taking shots from 30-35 yards before a game. He nearly took my head off. The power and accuracy of his shooting back then was astounding.

By the time he came to Dens he was a mercenary though. He was of no use to Dundee.

And judging by his punditry he's a first class c**t.

• Like 1

I've just had a notification through YouTube app pop up on my lock screen and it's Craig Burley on ESPN having a pop at the boy Woodward at Man Utd. :huh:

Freaking out now! 

• Funny 1

32 minutes ago, CJ45 said:

I think the damage was done by then, I was chuffed to say I saw Ravenelli in a Dundee top though. God knows what we were thinking but I think a lot of us were maybe delusional about just how much the Marr's were worth. Big fish in a small pond really but maybe they were naive as we were to lap it up. Not having a go, we all know how it panned out but it was fun while it lasted.

• Like 1

Sorry, but Jim McIntyre for me is the worst signing in years!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cobra said:

PB, I would argue that we were in a more favourable position when McCann left than when we took over.

We were in freefall after 7 straight defeats including the 7-0 horror show and we were preparing for the Championship when McCann came in. When he was sacked we were almost level with St Mirren, Hamilton and Motherwell with 25 games to play.

I'm not trying to make out McCann was a success but this idea that he destroyed the club, it's simply not true IMO, and I suspect the board wanted those filthy cheap lower league signings to cut costs.

All about opinions on here of course and, while I readily admit McCann pulled off an impressive achievement in keeping us up post-split following seven defeats in a row under Hartley, I feel we were an utter shambles this season before McCann was rightly punted. Last season was a mixed bag but largely depressing-particularly at Dens. This term we were miles off the pace against Dunfermline and Ayr. The “if my auntie had baws” conjecture about what might have happened with the rag tag bunch of English non-league misfits and dubious foreigners McCann lumbered us with is largely pointless. Much like his team.

Also, McCann for me was an embarrassment with his constant berating of officials and a liability for his fall outs with players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

All about opinions on here of course and, while I readily admit McCann pulled off an impressive achievement in keeping us up post-split following seven defeats in a row under Hartley, I feel we were an utter shambles this season before McCann was rightly punted. Last season was a mixed bag but largely depressing-particularly at Dens. This term we were miles off the pace against Dunfermline and Ayr. The “if my auntie had baws” conjecture about what might have happened with the rag tag bunch of English non-league misfits and dubious foreigners McCann lumbered us with is largely pointless. Much like his team.

Also, McCann for me was an embarrassment with his constant berating of officials and a liability for his fall outs with players.

Good post GoatLord. I was very critical of McCann for playing a team with 5 or 6 new players on the opening day of the 2017/18 season against Ross County at Dens. County were a poor side but they deservedly left with all three points and I felt that we should played a more settled team. That set us up for a difficult few months and it wasn't until November that we pulled away from dropzone. This season again McCann was reckless in how he set us up at the start of the season. Too many changes. Too many risks. I think he had too much belief in himself. If he was more cautious and humble I think he might have kept himself in a job and kept us in the league.

I agree the blame game was tiresome and unhelpful. I was relieved when McCann was sacked because I was fed-up listening to his bulls**t.

For this season, two for me stand out as being terrible. McCann signed Mendi as our lead striker when we were desperately and evidently  short of fire power. He was hopeless. Then McIntyre signed Woods when we needed a  fighter in our midfield who could combat other teams' central midfields.  Again hopeless. Would agree about Burley as being one of the worst. Wage stealer. Fan Zhiyi could have worked  but as a player  he was stinking for us. The inverness squad were another terrible bunch of signings.