The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
CC33

Caniggia / Ravanelli / Larsson

Rate this topic

Was blethering in pub with a tim who loved Larsson obv - i said that Dundee had bigger names which led to a debate (he and his mates thought i was at the wind up- i wasnt) all 3 in there prime i put Larsson behind CC33 and Ravanelli

Caniggia and Ravanelli both had their best days at a much higher level than Larsson and were very successful going on to become huge names world wide. Larsson had his best days in our shitty little league before having a short and relatively unremarkable spell in England.

I think you're right and your Celtic supporting mate is suffering the OF blinker syndrome where they believe winning the Scottish league is on a par with winning the English, Italian, Spanish or German leagues.

22 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

think you're right and your Celtic supporting mate is suffering the OF blinker syndrome where they believe winning the Scottish league is on a par with winning the English, Italian, Spanish or German leagues.

Larsson won the Spanish and English league. Alongside the Champions League. 

• Like 9

I moved to London at the turn of the century and folk down there were convinced Larsson only looked good because he was playing in Scotland. I was adamant that he was one of the best players in the world and he could play in any team, and I think he proved that in the end.

His control of the ball was exquisite. I've never seen anything like it. I probably should have enjoyed watching him but I hated Dundee getting beat so I couldn't.

I always remember getting into Parkhead one time at five past three to be greeted by the sight of Larsson turning Barry Smith in knots. Penalty and red card and Dundee were two down after five minutes.

33 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Larsson won the Spanish and English league. Alongside the Champions League. 

I know, sill not the player Caniggia or Ravenelli were in their primes.

Edit - mistake didn't mean Larsson wasn't the player they were just that he wasn't the 'name' they were - of course Larsson was a very special player.

Edited by Prince Buster

Caniggia was a special player. 

Larsson was a special player. 

Ravanelli was ten a penny. 

• Like 2

Ravanelli is probably the biggest name out of the 3, cc33 was the most controversial and Larsson potentially could have been regarded as the best out of the 3 but imo left it to late in his career to move away from Scottish football. He will never get the recognition he deserved.

The goal he scored at dens when he turned and side footed it over speroni is one of the best I've ever seen

Edited by ThelegendthatisBeto

You could maybe compare Caniggia to Larsson. Two sublimely gifted footballers.

I don't think you can compare those two to Ravanelli though. It's like comparing Messi to Lewandowski. Totally different skillsets.

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

I moved to London at the turn of the century and folk down there were convinced Larsson only looked good because he was playing in Scotland. I was adamant that he was one of the best players in the world and he could play in any team, and I think he proved that in the end.

His control of the ball was exquisite. I've never seen anything like it. I probably should have enjoyed watching him but I hated Dundee getting beat so I couldn't.

I always remember getting into Parkhead one time at five past three to be greeted by the sight of Larsson turning Barry Smith in knots. Penalty and red card and Dundee were two down after five minutes.

Sadly, this parochial view in england is widespread....players only become great once they've played there.

I think Larsson's performances for Sweden in a few WC/Euro tournaments, and his partnership with the very young protege that was Zlatan, convinced most doubters that he was a hugely talented player. 

• Like 2