The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
gblue

Neil McCann

Rate this topic

He signed some very good players in Ralph, hendry and kamara but many of his signings were flops.

By the sound of it he needs to learn to treat his players like adults and not go in the huff with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

He could be but nothing he did for us would support that. I'm not looking to rake over coals but surely we saw enough to put a big question mark over his management skills? Both he and McIntyre were culpable in turning us into relegation fodder so it's hard for me to see a future for McCann. McIntyre at least has something on his CV. 

Rookie manager - kept us up over last few games when he came in, consolidated by keeping us up again the season after a bad start. Another bad start the season after and he didnt get a chance to keep us up a third time. 

For someone cutting their teeth at the top level in Scotland i think he done well always seemed to get the results when needed ie Hamilton in October - i still think if we stuck with him we would have survived and could have parted ways this off season as a premiership team

11 minutes ago, Dayster said:

Rookie manager - kept us up over last few games when he came in, consolidated by keeping us up again the season after a bad start. Another bad start the season after and he didnt get a chance to keep us up a third time. 

For someone cutting their teeth at the top level in Scotland i think he done well always seemed to get the results when needed ie Hamilton in October - i still think if we stuck with him we would have survived and could have parted ways this off season as a premiership team

I think it is no coincidence that McCann's decline ran concurrently with the introduction of his own players. Last season there was still a sizeable nucleus of Hartleys players - Bain, Holt, Haber, Gowser, Kerr, Vincent, Meekings, Elbak and O'Dea to work with. Although some of them struggled they were gradually replaced with much worse by McCann.

Alleged personality clashes with Bain, Wighton and O'Dea wouldn't have helped either if true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DFC1974 said:

I think it is no coincidence that McCann's decline ran concurrently with the introduction of his own players. Last season there was still a sizeable nucleus of Hartleys players - Bain, Holt, Haber, Gowser, Kerr, Vincent, Meekings, Elbak and O'Dea to work with. Although some of them struggled they were gradually replaced with much worse by McCann.

Alleged personality clashes with Bain, Wighton and O'Dea wouldn't have helped either if true.

Who could avoid a personality clash with Bain? He thought Dundee revolved around him. He is now the darling of the media. You cannot  pick up paper where  he is not commenting on something. He is lapping it all up. How he gets into the Scotland team ahead of Clark and Kelly is a puzzle but off course he plays for Celtic.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

Who could avoid a personality clash with Bain? He thought Dundee revolved around him. He is now the darling of the media. You cannot  pick up paper where  he is not commenting on something. He is lapping it all up. How he gets into the Scotland team ahead of Clark and Kelly is a puzzle but off course he plays for Celtic.

Always been that way, of course.....but the winds of change have just been invited to step into the manager's office at Hampden

• Like 2

I liked that McCann had a plan, everyone could see what he was trying to achieve. I liked the way how he treated Dundee FC, always putting us first & giving us good PR at any opportunity. He had an eye for a player as well. The biggest downfall for Neil was he needed an experienced guy next to him from the start.  

Hope he does well in the game! 

• Wowzer 1
  • Like 8
  • Star Post 1

I'm just surprised we're still discussing NM at all.......

• Star Post 1

9 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I'm just surprised we're still discussing NM at all.......

Part of the healing process WoodStein. Some of us still trying to understand what the hell just went down.

I think Bain gets in ahead of Clark because he's a much, much better goalkeeper. 

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

26 minutes ago, GregTeamDee said:

I liked that McCann had a plan, everyone could see what he was trying to achieve. I liked the way how he treated Dundee FC, always putting us first & giving us good PR at any opportunity. He had an eye for a player as well. The biggest downfall for Neil was he needed an experienced guy next to him from the start.  

PR wasn’t always the best....Saints mess, but I wish him well (he did a huge amount for us as a player and did his best as a manager) churlish to do otherwise imo. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I think Bain gets in ahead of Clark because he's a much, much better goalkeeper. 

Bain is a good keeper, but he shouldn't be between the sticks for Scotland and if Scott thinks McCann was a hardass wait until he crosses Steve Clarke and he gets his scrawny wee neck wrung (figuratively speaking of course) and placed on the bench pronto like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stampguy said:

Bain is a good keeper, but he shouldn't be between the sticks for Scotland and if Scott thinks McCann was a hardass wait until he crosses Steve Clarke and he gets his scrawny wee neck wrung (figuratively speaking of course) and placed on the bench pronto like.

You prefer crap keepers ????

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

You prefer crap keepers ????

No I prefer better than 'good' when it comes to Scotland. Did you see the Kazakh game? There are four guys I would have instead of Bain starting with David Marshall, but I'm happy for you to prefer Bain. I hope you'll be fine with my opinion in return.

10 minutes ago, Stampguy said:

No I prefer better than 'good' when it comes to Scotland. Did you see the Kazakh game? There are four guys I would have instead of Bain starting with David Marshall, but I'm happy for you to prefer Bain. I hope you'll be fine with my opinion in return.

Calm down dear, its only the internet. I was being a smartar5e, Yes I saw the Kazakh game, it was a shocker but its not like he was the only crap player, it looked like we were treating it like a training game.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that its a polar thing, I know life is simple if its a black/white thing but life ain't simple.

Yeh he made a lot of mistakes but I think we would have escaped relegation if he had stayed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stampguy said:

Bain is a good keeper, but he shouldn't be between the sticks for Scotland

He's the best Scottish goalkeeper (behind McGregor who has retired) so, for me, he kind of should be in the goal for Scotland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeighorstsWang said:

He's the best Scottish goalkeeper (behind McGregor who has retired) so, for me, he kind of should be in the goal for Scotland.

He is not even better than Gordon never mind Kelly and Clark. Did you see his blunder last Saturday?

• Like 1

Where was this McCann love in when he was still our manager? The clamour for him to be binned when he was, was pretty deafening. 

Fascinating how McIntyre's utter shambles has made people forget just how bad we were under McCann last season and this. I genuinely believe that this season has seen the worst bottom three in the top flight since the split was introduced and McCann took us to that level, that McIntyre somehow made it worse shouldn't disguise where the rot set in and that was from this pre-season, if not last pre-season.

Throw enough brown stuff and the wall and some of it will stick. For every Hendry or Kamara there's a Wolters, Deacon, Spence, Mendy, NGwatala, Inniss, Moussa or Kallman. Eye for a player? Well, if you're basically allowed to sign as many as you want, you're sure to get some right. 

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Calm down dear, its only the internet. I was being a smartar5e, Yes I saw the Kazakh game, it was a shocker but its not like he was the only crap player, it looked like we were treating it like a training game.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that its a polar thing, I know life is simple if its a black/white thing but life ain't simple.

Sorry precious, I know that you Bain fans can be quite fragile, just like the guy himself. I thought that I made the very point that it is not a black/white thing by stating that I thought Bain was a 'good' keeper (I didn't rubbish him), but that I don't rate him for Scotland,  and I also stated that I was quite happy that you (and others) see Bain differently.

Edited by Stampguy

3 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

We disagree, but that's fine I just hope that whomever is in goal for us (including Bain) in the June games plays better than Bain did against the Kazakhs. Just like Dundee, I never cheer against a player that dons the Scotland jersey. 

I guess we're straying from the named topic here, but it'll be interesting to see what Steve Clarke will do when he names he the June squad.

5 hours ago, Iain T Campbell said:

He is not even better than Gordon never mind Kelly and Clark. Did you see his blunder last Saturday?

Gordon is absolutely finished. 

Bain hasn't played on a Saturday for a few weeks so you'll need to narrow it down, but anyway - Clark has made numerous blunders all season. I've no idea who Kelly is, if you mean the Livi goalie then I'm just not going to discuss this further. He's nowhere near their level, no matter how much the media want to portray him as just because Livi have had a phenomenal season. 

12 hours ago, GregTeamDee said:

Agreed on the last part, and actually a fair bit of the first paragraph too but not sure that makes him a potential good manager.  

7 hours ago, Stampguy said:

Sorry precious, I know that you Bain fans can be quite fragile, just like the guy himself. I thought that I made the very point that it is not a black/white thing by stating that I thought Bain was a 'good' keeper (I didn't rubbish him), but that I don't rate him for Scotland,  and I also stated that I was quite happy that you (and others) see Bain differently.

Still not getting it.

Didn't have a problem with Bain having a go back at the fans, but I do recall the goals we lost in his last game were a bit odd, as if he wasn't putting himself out too much. They just kinda rolled in. 1-3 v Accies.

1 minute ago, blueboy said:

Didn't have a problem with Bain having a go back at the fans, but I do recall the goals we lost in his last game were a bit odd, as if he wasn't putting himself out too much. They just kinda rolled in. 1-3 v Accies.

To be fair to the guy, we were conceding a ridiculous amount of crosses into the box and although Parish come in and was steady, we changed the way we played a bit and literally transformed from having the worst record at wingers delivering crosses to the best in the league - Cammy and Spanish Jon/Holt were pretty much better than anyone else making blocks from that point.

I think he's probably a decent enough top flight 'keeper with a couple of weaknesses (which everyone has) and maybe just lost his confidence a bit with how things were going around him. For me, the fan thing isn't a problem, fans are arseholes and will scream sh**e but I think the part that worried me was that he felt the need to confront it - the very best just rarely do that. The social media stuff was a bit stupid too and made him come across as a bit of a child and he badly let down Hartley by airing our dirty laundry into the public. I don't doubt that there were maybe difficulties around him or he maybe had cause to feel hard done by and meant well (people have said some very nice things about how he made an effort with the kids etc) but it doesn't excuse that.

He probably suits what Celtic need in a domestic league 'keeper in terms of being totally fearless and being able to be trained into a good distribution 'keeper. Past that though, I think he struggles a bit more when under pressure from crosses into the box against physical sides and there are a few others with better shot stopping ability.

• Like 2