The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  

Gordon Strachan - Technical Director.

Rate this topic

Thought I'd make a new topic away from the managerial topic.

Dundee has made an approach to Gordon Strachan to become the clubs technical director. His job would be to oversee the youth academy, he is not interested in the managerial post. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4271017/celtic-gordon-strachan-dundee-technical-director/

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/897479/dundee-approach-gordon-strachan-for-dens-park-return/ 

Even being there overseeing the academy would open the door for McPake as Strachan I’m sure would offer support and advice. Great move by the club if it comes off as also takes move pressure/work off Nelms.

Edited by bjs
  • Like 1

Think this would be a great appointment in my opinion, and could help Jazza find his feet as a manager, could be a master stroke, and would like to see this happen!

This could be a huge step forward for us if we could persuade him to join. Stephen Wright is head of development so I’m sure so he wouldn’t be directly in charge of youth but more of an overview of the whole system at the club. Whilst being able to assist the first team with his massive experience and contacts within the game. 

Strachan would be a great appointment in that role and give Nelms support with football matters so he can concentrate on the stadium project. 

Developing our own players is key to becoming successful again in the long term. I think I'd prefer Goodwin to Mcpake in this role as has more experience. Mc Pake assistant manager and ideally ready tp take over from Goodwin when he goes to a bigger club after winning the Scottish cup!

While I'd really welcome this, I'd be a bit cautious not to get carried away with things. Good news but I think this might end up being sold as something it isn't.

As far as the article goes, it sounds like he'd be some sort of part-time consultant who sits on the board with a few non specific duties for the youths. That's brilliant and gives us a great footballing mind on the board which I don't remember us ever having before.

The limit to it that I see is it doesn't necessarily change any of the structure for recruitment in itself, it could do if Strachan is going to involve himself but we don't know that yet as his passion does seem to be with youths and he's not been involved in that capacity for a long time. As it stands, our next manager is going to be spending a huge amount of time in front of a computer gambling on players with limited insight unless they get fortunate and get all of their first choices or find some amazing trialists.

Player manager ? Would stroll into our midfield.

• Funny 1

Yes f**cking please Dundee. Please get this one over the line. Best move we could make to get fans on board and progress the club. Would also make a mcpake/miller/Goodwin type appointment make sense.

Get it done Mr Nelms!!

48 minutes ago, dblair said:

This could be a huge step forward for us if we could persuade him to join. Stephen Wright is head of development so I’m sure so he wouldn’t be directly in charge of youth but more of an overview of the whole system at the club. Whilst being able to assist the first team with his massive experience and contacts within the game. 

Yes. After only recently hiring Wright, I'm sure the focus for WGS would be mentoring McPake (or another young Manager),  and taking more of the footballing duties away from Nelms.

Edited by Dondeh

16 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Player manager ? Would stroll into our midfield.

Not tall enough, imo! 

Genetics and all that 😉.

God, this takes me back to 1975-77. 

Strachan and John Martin supping pints in the Barn by the puggy machine. 

No matter how part-time his role would be, a big shot in the arm, badly needed. 

1 minute ago, blueboy said:

God, this takes me back to 1975-77. 

Strachan and John Martin supping pints in the Barn by the puggy machine. 

No matter how part-time his role would be, a big shot in the arm, badly needed. 

You'd think even if it was just a casual advisory thing it could still be a plus. Say what you will about WGS he must still have a wealth of football contacts around Britain that we could potentially gain from.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, harry94 said:

While I'd really welcome this, I'd be a bit cautious not to get carried away with things. Good news but I think this might end up being sold as something it isn't.

As far as the article goes, it sounds like he'd be some sort of part-time consultant who sits on the board with a few non specific duties for the youths. That's brilliant and gives us a great footballing mind on the board which I don't remember us ever having before.

The limit to it that I see is it doesn't necessarily change any of the structure for recruitment in itself, it could do if Strachan is going to involve himself but we don't know that yet as his passion does seem to be with youths and he's not been involved in that capacity for a long time. As it stands, our next manager is going to be spending a huge amount of time in front of a computer gambling on players with limited insight unless they get fortunate and get all of their first choices or find some amazing trialists.

If this is correct and a role is offered to GS it needs to be one where he can correct the obvious weaknesses that exist in the running of the club.

Identifying new signings, contracts, PR, supporting the manager and building bridges with the support immediately come to mind.

Hopefully it’s a sign that FPS have realised that new thinking and new ideas are urgently required if we are to progress.

• Like 1

Hopefully WGS is interested enough to put forward his own ideas about how the role would work and he and Nelms can then come to some sort of compromise. 

I wonder if getting him onboard only applies depending on the type of Manager appointed?. 

31 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I share your cautious approach Harry. Great name to have associated with the club but in what capacity?. Being a wee bit cynical it looks like Nelms might just be ticking the boxes that we feel are needing ticked and then making it public. We already informally seek assistance from a series of wise old heads according to Nelms but, previously, we've not made it public. Same with the interviews. We're being very public this time after criticism of our approach to managerial appointments in the recent past.

Even if it is on a part time basis then no harm. I'm sure our previous managers would have benefited from advice from a respected old head. Its not as if he has to be sitting in the dugout every week 

It is great news that has to be welcomed with caution as Harry points out until we find out what exactly his role will be. He has his own youth foundation down south so he is not inexperienced in dealing with the youth side. We need to build foundations that will last for years on the youth front, foundations that will produce fruit in providing us with first team players on a regular basis. I think it is a step in the right direction depending on what his role will be and as long as he leaves behind his ideas on genetics.

Presumably he'd help coach the youths as well as advising the new coach. His presence alone would raise the profile of the club.

• Like 1

This would be a masterstroke  that I’m not sure Nelms is capable of.  Strachan is used to earning vast amounts of money his entire career, very very rarely does someone give back in football what we are asking Strachan to do. Would genuinely be shocked if he takes the job.