The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

If it is him, at least he will know the teams in the league. He probably has identified some decent players that would be out of the budget of Alloa, but within a Dundee budget. But who knows. It's Dundee and  anything can happen.

• Like 2

Hope McPake will be his assistant. Don’t know if he’ll want to be, though.

Mmmm not to sure about this if true another trainee manager, just hope GS comes in too. 

12 minutes ago, bp33 said:

Hope McPake will be his assistant. Don’t know if he’ll want to be, though.

Would be very surprised if he didn't. It's a natural progression for him, he's not ready yet to be our manager.

Not sure he is anymore a trainee than Hartley was and he is certainly more experienced than Miller and McPake who would appear to be the only others now in the running.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Sensible said:

According to bookies it looks like he’s the man.

1/5 now.

The bookies know nada. They're reacting to bets to protect themselves from losses. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

The bookies know nada. They're reacting to bets to protect themselves from losses. 

Boys backing Goodwin at 1/2 will obviously force price down even shorter....

When managers go as short as this it’s more than likely he will get the job...

Just wonder if the St M job will be up for grabs soon.

Edited by Mr Sensible

Very possibly the St Mirren job will come up and very possible he would prefer that to Dundee, probably more so if they stay up. 

• Like 1

Think we can do a lot worse that Goodwin and would rather see an ambitious young guy like him as opposed to one of the usual merry go round suspects. 

He is a young manager but been in charge of Alloa best part of three years so wouldn’t consider him a rookie. As with any appointment it’s a risk but I would be quite encouraged by him. 

• Like 3

The thing that gets me is they say we had over 150 applications for job and if we do end up with Goodwin what does that say about quality of the other applicants 

5 minutes ago, gblue said:

The thing that gets me is they say we had over 150 applications for job and if we do end up with Goodwin what does that say about quality of the other applicants 

They could've been very good applicants and out of our price range. Just depends on how full you think your glass is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

They could've been very good applicants and out of our price range. Just depends on how full you think your glass is.

I know what your saying but this is all about our future get it wrong and could cost us a lot more in the long run, if we bring in GS I will be more confident about Goodwin 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Boys backing Goodwin at 1/2 will obviously force price down even shorter....

When managers go as short as this it’s more than likely he will get the job...

Just wonder if the St M job will be up for grabs soon.

Hes rumoured to be Hearts next manager. 

29 minutes ago, gblue said:

I know what your saying but this is all about our future get it wrong and could cost us a lot more in the long run, if we bring in GS I will be more confident about Goodwin 

I'm guessing that the Americans are spending just enough to keep us relatively competitive until they get to the make or break stadium build. That's where they'll make their dosh and I think they'll try and keep us ticking along until a final stadium decision is made. I just don't think they can justify spending biggish money on a manager knowing that the pot of gold at the end of their rainbow doesn't come with any guarantees.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gblue said:

What calibre of a manager should a basket case yo yo club that has just been relegated and needs a complete overhaul be expected to attract? 

• Like 2

At this stage I'm guessing the bookies are reacting to the fact that very little seems to be happening on this front and they have to do something with their odds etc.

I doubt there are thousands of folk sticking money on who our next manager will be.

21 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

What calibre of a manager should a basket case yo yo club that has just been relegated and needs a complete overhaul be expected to attract? 

Depends on how much we want to spend ultimately.

26 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

There are only 11 clubs in the whole country who finished above us last season, we probably still have one of the top 10 playing budgets in the country, a decent fanbase and our board clearly back their managers. Why would managers all be avoiding us.

Not aimed at you particularly mate, but this woe is us stuff that's coming from Dee's right now is doing my head in. 

• Like 3
  • Star Post 2

9 minutes ago, barkblue said:

There are only 11 clubs in the whole country who finished above us last season, we probably still have one of the top 10 playing budgets in the country, a decent fanbase and our board clearly back their managers. Why would managers all be avoiding us.

Not aimed at you particularly mate, but this woe is us stuff that's coming from Dee's right now is doing my head in. 

We (people that is) do like to get our quota of drama out of things, doesn't matter if its football, soap operas or sadly our politics, we need the drama.

We are in a state of transition and have just sacked or last two managers in this past season. We need to be realistic about our attractiveness at the moment certainly as compared to every other SPL side as it stands. Excluding the arabs of course if they go up. Nobody is going to come down the way and that's what we need to be realistic about. Out of jobs or lower standard is where we are for prospective managers. Maybe it's better thay we are rebuilding and hopefully sorting ourselves out.

12 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

We are in a state of transition and have just sacked or last two managers in this past season. We need to be realistic about our attractiveness at the moment certainly as compared to every other SPL side as it stands. Excluding the arabs of course if they go up. Nobody is going to come down the way and that's what we need to be realistic about. Out of jobs or lower standard is where we are for prospective managers. Maybe it's better thay we are rebuilding and hopefully sorting ourselves out.

You'd hope that any manager with some ambition and self belief would look at our potential and think they could be the guy to take us up and establish us. I really am struggling with this notion that because we've sacked some managers (like every club does) that we're suddenly undesirable. The whole managerial world relies on other managers getting punted. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Im not meaning this as a sense of woe but I think so fans need a reality check when they are having a downer on a manager like Jim Goodwin. He has had a solid couple of years at a part time club and is obviously looking to make the next step. 

I get we have apparently had a 150 application and I imagine probably about 80% of these will be absolutely sh**e or fantasists.

I just think realistically what calibre of manager do we expect? As I said previously I would much rather has someone on the up like Goodwin as opposed to the usual suspects.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Im not meaning this as a sense of woe but I think so fans need a reality check when they are having a downer on a manager like Jim Goodwin. He has had a solid couple of years at a part time club and is obviously looking to make the next step. 

I get we have apparently had a 150 application and I imagine probably about 80% of these will be absolutely sh**e or fantasists.

I just think realistically what calibre of manager do we expect? As I said previously I would much rather has someone on the up like Goodwin as opposed to the usual suspects.  

I think the thing for me is that if the best calibre of application we can attract is Jim Goodwin, then we really aren't trying. There are managers in and around the English game, for example, with loads of contacts that would maybe like a challenge or to grow their stock with a promotion and then maybe a solid top flight season or two, or maybe who are looking for their first 'big' job after years as a well served assistant. Something along those sort of lines. 

Goodwin comes across well, and I won't be devastated if it's him, but I don't think we should be curbing our enthusiasm for a more left field, but maybe wider ranging appointment. There are more options out there than the current list of out of work Scottish managers or those at smaller Championship sides. Why should we narrow things down to basically no options?

• Like 1