The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

He didn’t have doubts...

The club rejected him last minute 

Is that the official line mate? As interested as we all are, it was the media who had him all but appointed and as usual the club has gone about it’s business quietly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Yeah we had a poll started last night, the first one in recent weeks.

The 'We haven't had a poll for a while' joke probably only works when there's been a lot of recent polls.

Oops, missed that one. Must have missed it in the excitement yesterday. I'll have a mosey on over now and see what the story is. 

2 hours ago, Parcbara said:

We need to wait and see what has and will transpire. As it stands, it sounds like another complete botch up to me though.  We need to hear the full and proper story.

We might want to because we're a bunch of sweetie wifies but we don't "need" to hear the full story.

It would be very unprofessional for starters.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

We might want to because we're a bunch of sweetie wifies but we don't "need" to hear the full story.

Chomp, agreed, let’s move on and relish what looks like a solid base to start next season with.

Need a couple of solid signings and a boost if we can retain some of our youngsters including the likes of Ralph who may see the positives of the decision taken by the board.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

Chomp, agreed, let’s move on and relish what looks like a solid base to start next season with.

Need a couple of solid signings and a boost if we can retain some of our youngsters including the likes of Ralph who may see the positives of the decision taken by the board.

I'd imagine there will be fairly early confirmation that Kerr & J Curran, and maybe Waddell, will have new deals offered.

I'd be happy if he persuades Ralph to stay, they can always offer him a slightly improved deal, if his agent's getting better offers for him that his 'relegation clause' figure.

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

I meant the official announcement not the detail behind the scenes. Couldn't give a sh!t about what went on. Nelms always seems to make  us look not too clever in such events, hence the comment about botch up. But then again that is hearsay. Done now, lets hope  the big man does us proud.

• Like 3

There were 6 candidates that were interviewed, some more than once. Background checks were also done on those candidates. Some of the candidates weren't what they were looking for and perhaps some candidates withdrew from the process of their own free will. We'll never know exactly, nor are we privy to that information.

Seems to me that any prospective candidate has had to put forward a proposal, e.g. their own backroom staff and a structure on how they want to operate, potential signing targets etc. Jimmy Nicholl is very much McPake's appointment.

No-one has had their feet up these last 3 weeks that's for sure.

• Like 8

On 31/05/2019 at 10:54, Mr Sensible said:

He didn’t have doubts...

The club rejected him last minute 

Perhaps wanted to appoint own no.2; didn't want to work with Strachan; possible St. Mirren vacancy.

22 minutes ago, Pierre said:

Perhaps wanted to appoint own no.2; didn't want to work with Strachan; possible St. Mirren vacancy.

None of them...Mcpake became 1st choice albeit late on in the process...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Sensible said:

None of them...Mcpake became 1st choice albeit late on in the process...

Money perhaps when it came down to final details. 

29 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

I’m pretty sure that the way John Nelms was talking was that it went down to the day before his appointment to make the decision between the 2. The fact that the media had everyone believing he had been offered the job and was set to be announced has lead everyone to assume that he turned us down. As far as I’m aware he wasn’t ever offered the job

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

Goodwin never turned it down 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Goodwin never turned it down 

Interesting.

In a one-on-one contest with an 'up and coming' Manager, McPake came out tops. 

9 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Interesting.

In a one-on-one contest with an 'up and coming' Manager, McPake came out tops. 

Could easily list a couple of things that may have swayed the decision in Mcpakes favour. He’s been at the club 5 years and knows it inside out and so there is no “transition” or settling in period. He knows the clubs youth set up inside out and doesn’t need time to asses the potential for progressing them to the first team. He knows the remaining first team squad players already. He has managed to bring in one of the most experienced assistant managers within Scottish football history. He has a close relationship with Strachan. 

You could list more, but for me the thing that probably swung it against Goodwin was the potential for him to bring in the DAB Connolly as his number 2. Well played John, well played 

• Like 4

While I'm sure all Dees would have got behind Goodwin if he got the job, is it not fair to say he was one of the most disliked players in the last 25 years for being a dirty bassa?

Imrie and McKinnon would make the list. Any others?

1 minute ago, dblair said:

1) He has managed to bring in one of the most experienced assistant managers within Scottish football history. 2) He has a close relationship with Strachan. 

3)to bring in the DAB Connolly as his number 2. 

That's the way I saw it with (1) and (2).

If (3) is true,  then that's an added bonus 👍

3 hours ago, dblair said:

He has managed to bring in one of the most experienced assistant managers within Scottish football history.

I'm led to believe that Nicholl is a real character and someone who'll be great to have around the club. 

about to be catapulted into the top league with a 3 year deal as manager of St Mirren. 

Wonder if he got a whisper from Fitzpatrick of this job coming up for him whilst he was in talks with us

2 minutes ago, jack12895 said:

Wonder if he got a whisper from Fitzpatrick of this job coming up for him whilst he was in talks with us

That was what Tam McManus suggested, at that time. We didn't, though, offer Goodwin the job, so the Board must have changed their mind about that during the 2nd interview.

I heard before that part of the issue was that both parties had different expectations on contract. Goodwin has a full-time job which he's done since he went part-time and seems to be happy with it. It seems like, since McCann and Hartley getting big pay offs, we've went down the route of trying to protect ourselves with rolling deals and he'd have preferred something with longer security. He's got a three year deal at St Mirren.

I was reading the other day that David Moyes' Man Utd contract runs out this week. Amazing that they gave him a six-year contract. Bomber had not long taken over at Dens when Moyes was appointed at Old Trafford. Feels like an awfy long time ago that.

• Wowzer 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

That was what Tam McManus suggested, at that time. We didn't, though, offer Goodwin the job, so the Board must have changed their mind about that during the 2nd interview.

In jimmy Ns interview the other day he mentioned that he asked Owen K a question which he didn’t get an answer to which partly influenced his move to us. It’s seems pretty clear that Goodwin was approached/lined up just as we were about to decide. 

Upshot everyone’s happy! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Valentke said:

In jimmy Ns interview the other day he mentioned that he asked Owen K a question which he didn’t get an answer to which partly influenced his move to us. It’s seems pretty clear that Goodwin was approached/lined up just as we were about to decide. 

Upshot everyone’s happy! 

Aye, there have been a few comments in recent weeks, re Kearney's position in particular, than started to look like they were trying to manipulate things to try to keep Goodwin aware he was their choice, while they tried to discourage Kearney from staying.

Really unusual ending, though, that we're happy with the outcome & building a management/coaching team that looks very strong, and with an interesting squad rebuild ticking along quietly. Then there's Strachan, the Youth Development project, and maybe some stadium plans update to follow.

Has optimism decided to visit Dens & hang around a while? 

• Like 3