The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Looks like a great appointment. Only concern I have is I don't know how much he benefited from what Jack Ross left at Alloa. He's coming to a pretty big club with sizeable expectations and he's got to build something from the ashes of our shocking last season in the top flight, so probably a very different and more demanding challenge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Looks like a great appointment. Only concern I have is I don't know how much he benefited from what Jack Ross left at Alloa. He's coming to a pretty big club with sizeable expectations and he's got to build something from the ashes of our shocking last season in the top flight, so probably a very different and more demanding challenge.

We need to get behind him and be patient. He will get time if he tightens up our defence and gets some dig in midfield. Hopefully Miller and Nelson will get the goals.

Ok, I'll be the first to say it......if we do indeed appoint him this week, it'll be the first Goodwin we've had in a long time 😜

Could be much worse of course, could've continued on from the McIntyre days and appointed Jim Badloss 🙈

• Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I was looking at what happened with Alloa during Ross's & Goodwin's time there, but I've no idea about players they signed/released & how many changes they made.

• Ross followed Danny Lennon's resignation in Dec of 2015/16 & they were relegated to Div.1. When Ross left for St.M after just 10 months, in Oct 2016, they were 2nd in Div.1. He had 2 windows as manager.
  • Goodwin kept them in 2nd place, but they missed going up, Brechin won the playoffs. In 2017/18, they finished 3rd in Div.1, and went up to the championship via the playoffs.
  • It's hard to say if Ross did enough in 10 months to be handing over a strong squad to Goodwin, who then had 6 months & a whole season (3 windows) before getting them back up, then a full season (2 windows) after which he kept them up with a strong end-of-season run.

Assuming it is Goodwin we hire, he's had a season & a half to deal in players good enough to get them up, then a season of business in the league we're seeking to win, or get to the playoffs. He's also played much of his career in the SPL, I think. Whether or not this is enough relevant experience, to rebuild our team to challenge at the top in his first, or second season, only time will tell....but it'll certainly be a demanding challenge.  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

I was looking at what happened with Alloa during Ross's & Goodwin's time there, but I've no idea about players they signed/released & how many changes they made.

• Ross followed Danny Lennon's resignation in Dec of 2015/16 & they were relegated to Div.1. When Ross left for St.M after just 10 months, in Oct 2016, they were 2nd in Div.1. He had 2 windows as manager.
  • Goodwin kept them in 2nd place, but they missed going up, Brechin won the playoffs. In 2017/18, they finished 3rd in Div.1, and went up to the championship via the playoffs.
  • It's hard to say if Ross did enough in 10 months to be handing over a strong squad to Goodwin, who then had 6 months & a whole season (3 windows) before getting them back up, then a full season (2 windows) after which he kept them up with a strong end-of-season run.

Assuming it is Goodwin we hire, he's had a season & a half to deal in players good enough to get them up, then a season of business in the league we're seeking to win, or get to the playoffs. He's also played much of his career in the SPL, I think. Whether or not this is enough relevant experience, to rebuild our team to challenge at the top in his first, or second season, only time will tell....but it'll certainly be a demanding challenge.  

Most of his games were played outwith Scotland I think but he did still play a fair chunk of his games up here. I think he's got 100+ apps for St Mirren which is a pretty decent amount.

• Like 1

I see he started out at Celtic alongside Wieghorst, Douglas,  Lynch,  Fotheringham and Burchill.

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Ok, I'll be the first to say it......if we do indeed appoint him this week, it'll be the first Goodwin we've had in a long time 😜

Could be much worse of course, could've continued on from the McIntyre days and appointed Jim Badloss 🙈

Or the Russian, Evana Shot-Willdo

Goodwin spent 6 years playing in the SPFL after 8 years in England so he has decent experience here. If talk of him having dossiers on players and teams is true then hopefully he knows who (at least from the lower leagues) are good and can do a job for us. How much knowledge he has of the few players we still have signed up is another question.

He hasnt signed yet but at least we know after yesterday's news that Csaba wont be coming back to the city 😊.

As we all know, a successful future ahead for any club/team, is never guaranteed whatever manager is in place.

However, although there is nothing yet on the Official, it does appear the DFC/JN are doing everything right towards

getting Dundee on Road to Success. Team of Goodwin/McPake/Miller/Strachan (whatever the permutation) spells

hope, ambition, possible success to me. Maybe not next season. But parts will be in place...Exciting times ahead?

Looking forward to seeing JG at Dens. A young guy looking to make his mark on the game, and by all accounts it sounds like he is very thorough in his management style.

What does need to change though, is our expectations. We are, and imo, have never been a Top 6 club, and should adjust what we expect based on merit. This severely hampers those who come in to work for our club as they feel the supporter pressure of a level we are nowhere near.

At best we are a top of the bottom 6 club.

• Like 7
  • Star Post 1

3 hours ago, SM1893 said:

Looking forward to seeing JG at Dens. A young guy looking to make his mark on the game, and by all accounts it sounds like he is very thorough in his management style.

What does need to change though, is our expectations. We are, and imo, have never been a Top 6 club, and should adjust what we expect based on merit. This severely hampers those who come in to work for our club as they feel the supporter pressure of a level we are nowhere near.

I would agree with this and another thing one gets fed off hearing is that we are a Premiership club. We are but we have to earn the right to be that. At the moment we are a yo-yo club which reveals instability. I have no doubt that Nelms and Keyes are working towards sorting this out. The sooner we become an established Premiership club the better. It is only then that we can start planning ahead having that foundation underneath.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SM1893 said:

I'd agree with that view....we suffered so much damage in that decade of 2 Admins, took a long time to recover, but weren't really strong enough (off the park as much as on) to re-establish ourselves in the top league. The first 6th place was a bit 'false' with big clubs missing, and we've seen how hard it is to maintain a consistent level above the bottom two places.

Although emulating County would be nice, I'd be happy enough to see us take our time to rebuild the foundations properly (maybe 2 seasons), by which time we might have the distraction of will we / won't we have the Camperdown stadium resolved.....and then aim for steady progress in the bottom 6. 

There are 5 clubs with resources/investment/annual income well beyond the rest, probably remaining so, barring one having a huge disaster, but they all appear much stronger businesses now. There will probably be constant competition & challenges for that 6th place....but even that isn't such a huge 'grail' over 7th or 8th...you get a bit more placement money & 2-3 higher home gates, but that's about it....probably the main thing is no risk of relegation!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I'd agree with that view....we suffered so much damage in that decade of 2 Admins, took a long time to recover, but weren't really strong enough (off the park as much as on) to re-establish ourselves in the top league. The first 6th place was a bit 'false' with big clubs missing, and we've seen how hard it is to maintain a consistent level above the bottom two places.

Although emulating County would be nice, I'd be happy enough to see us take our time to rebuild the foundations properly (maybe 2 seasons), by which time we might have the distraction of will we / won't we have the Camperdown stadium resolved.....and then aim for steady progress in the bottom 6. 

There are 5 clubs with resources/investment/annual income well beyond the rest, probably remaining so, barring one having a huge disaster, but they all appear much stronger businesses now. There will probably be constant competition & challenges for that 6th place....but even that isn't such a huge 'grail' over 7th or 8th...you get a bit more placement money & 2-3 higher home gates, but that's about it....probably the main thing is no risk of relegation!

The new stadium, if it ever happens, will be a great thing and will likely see us, initially, kick on. I'm guessing that the brand spanking new facilities will be a big draw for players, fans and businesses. I can't help thinking that all the grand talk has held us back somewhat though and created an unhealthy distrust of FPS from some quarters. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose, I just wonder whether concentrating solely on the team and working quietly on the new stadium development in the background until something solid was fit for a public airing would've given FPS a slightly easier ride than they've had to date and had, almost, everyone pulling in the same direction. It's felt like they're stringing us along and moving the goalposts at every stage which has led to question marks over their long term plans for us and maybe held us back from giving them our absolute all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

The new stadium, if it ever happens, will be a great thing and will likely see us, initially, kick on. I'm guessing that the brand spanking new facilities will be a big draw for players, fans and businesses. I can't help thinking that all the grand talk has held us back somewhat though and created an unhealthy distrust of FPS from some quarters. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose, I just wonder whether concentrating solely on the team and working quietly on the new stadium development in the background until something solid was fit for a public airing would've given FPS a slightly easier ride than they've had to date and had, almost, everyone pulling in the same direction. It's felt like they're stringing us along and moving the goalposts at every stage which has led to question marks over their long term plans for us and maybe held us back from giving them our absolute all.

On the other hand, how secret could it have been kept? There was a bit on here that was starting to leak out and the circle was going to get bigger.

It maybe raised people's expectations too much but I think we'd have seen that anyway and the board hammered on here for being dishonest.

Another thing is that the early stage consultation was essential sooner or later regardless so I'm not sure how much longer it could have been delayed for. Other clubs have followed quite similar timelines thusfar.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

On the other hand, how secret could it have been kept? There was a bit on here that was starting to leak out and the circle was going to get bigger.

It maybe raised people's expectations too much but I think we'd have seen that anyway and the board hammered on here for being dishonest.

Another thing is that the early stage consultation was essential sooner or later regardless so I'm not sure how much longer it could have been delayed for. Other clubs have followed quite similar timelines thusfar.

Yeh I get that Harry. Having a distrust of outsiders, if I can call FPS that, is built into most of us. I just think the Dens buy back (which most thought was doable) suddenly changing to a brand new stadium, with a reiteration of the Dens buy back regurgitated halfway down FPS's new preferred route had many of us wondering about their motives. Maybe issuing a statement along the lines of Dens being unsustainable long term and the buy back cost maybe diverting financial resources away from more important areas ie the team would've won them more backing. As things stand most people don't see us being any closer to our, two?, goals.

32 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

That's what I was thinking (re the distraction/held us back), Rev, and you might also be right about this adding to wariness of being prepared to trust FPS too much - our history perhaps fuelled that too.

It would be good if the timing of key events would 'fall into place' for the next 2-3 years. If the new manager can positively 'distract us' enough with what's happening on the pitch, maybe we can give FPS/DBH a wee bit of peace to progress Camperdown slowly but steadily.

If Strachan agrees to get involved with DFC, as a way of progressing his youth development project with us, a couple of years from now we may be heading into a very positive time for the club, on all 3 fronts (team, stadium, youth dev). Is that maybe too many 'ifs' & too optimistic for Dundee? 

• Like 1

If we don't have our answer from Strachan or even the role he's going to be filling, I imagine Goodwin wouldn't want to be rushing into signing on without meeting with him. It's a pretty big detail to try and skim over IMO.

I may have misunderstood but I was in the shop yesterday and thought I saw an official pop in to get a tie and scarf to take into the main entrance so I did think we'd maybe get something yesterday.

2 minutes ago, teddydfc62 said:

I'm hearing he turned us down

Any more to that rumour?

Seemed a dead cert then we get news that Strachan is looking likely then all of a sudden Goodwin is rumoured to have turned us down.

If true we don't seem a very attractive move for player or manager these days

A blow if this turns out to be true. Was looking forward to his appointment to be fair.

12 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Any more to that rumour?

Don't know, was my mate who told me.Was apparently last night, could be to do with Strachan coming in,who knows.The person he gets his information from is usually on the  money 

The Sun at its rotten best again?

6 minutes ago, teddydfc62 said:

Don't know, was my mate who told me.Was apparently last night, could be to do with Strachan coming in,who knows.The person he gets his information from is usually on the  money 

Does he drive a taxi, cut hair or work in a pub?

• Funny 1