The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

It’s would be so much Dundee Fc if we take all this time to appoint a manager and it is McPake 😀

• Like 1

Could be a number of things

My hunch he knows dees backs are to the wall on this, could easily be holding out for a bigger budget/bigger wage..then leaks it to the press and suddenly the club are under pressure.

5 minutes ago, bjs said:

It’s a step up yes, but maybe we have agreed personnel terms but the problem is he wants a bigger budget than we’re offering to sign players. Another option is the club want him to have McPake and/or Miller as part of his coaching team but he’s refusing to have them. Another reason could be he doesn’t want a director of football and therefore doesn’t want to work with Strachan. The list of reasons are endless. For me it’s simple, for whatever reason, if he doesn’t want the gig we move on, I want whoever gets the job to really want it.

Agreed. If he turns us down that's a good thing because clearly his heart isn't in it. If we keep throwing him incentives and he reluctantly accepts that might prove bad for him and us.

Also, there are no guarantees he'll be able to step up. Kerno was spectacularly successive at Clyde. In his first-ever season in management he won 72 points and finished second in the Championship. The following season they were runners-up again, missing out on the title by a single point. He then went to Dens and helped us towards the worst season in our history.

We need to find the right fit. Ideally someone who is passionate about being successful at Dens but also has the tools to make it happen. If it takes time to appoint the next manager so be it. Both McCann and McIntyre appointments seemed a bit rushed, desperate and ill-thought-out. Hopefully we get this one right.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

100 plus candidates and the best they can come up with is a youth coach with absolute zero experience at any senior level as a Manager? 

Plus the fact that we have a massive rebuild on our hands.....

Pathetic. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

With the betting suspended a couple of days ago, various media stories strongly suggesting it'll be Goodwin, articles saying how good he'll be for Dundee, everyone here has had a couple of days to get used to the idea. If it falls apart now, and they appoint McPake, it's not hard to see a lot of fans feeling disappointed, as a consequence. That, of course, would very unfair on McPake. 

And will be viewed as another bungled episode, I suspect.

15 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

100 plus candidates and the best they can come up with is a youth coach with absolute zero experience at any senior level as a Manager? 

Pathetic. 

Plus the 2 that didn't apply and bolted as soon as approched .

• Like 1

Everyone thought Barcelona were nuts to snub Champions League winner Mourinho and instead give the job to their reserve coach Guardiola. Sometimes the solution is already at the club.

I'll be quite excited to see what McPake can do if he gets the job. He'll have learned a lot from watching the mistakes of previous Dundee managers and he certainly has the leadership qualities.

It would certainly be a risk but why can't Dundee be a club that creates good managers? Alex Neil took Accies to the top of the Premiership. If you have an ability to motivate and organise players you don't necessarily need experience and an impressive CV.

• Funny 1
  • Like 1
  • Star Post 1

10 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

Pathetic. 

Probably 85-90 of the applicants weren’t serious ones.

17 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

With the betting suspended a couple of days ago, various media stories strongly suggesting it'll be Goodwin, articles saying how good he'll be for Dundee, everyone here has had a couple of days to get used to the idea. If it falls apart now, and they appoint McPake, it's not hard to see a lot of fans feeling disappointed, as a consequence. That, of course, would very unfair on McPake. 

It’s certainly not going to shift a lot of season tickets.

24 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

And will be viewed as another bungled episode, I suspect.

Yes, it probably would, and yet not really of their making, if that happens. 

[ ...and there it is, the bit quoted in post 206 ^^^^ & 212 vvv ....and that's even before any sort of progress or decisions are even mentioned by the board, far less announced...all on the basis of rumour, heresay, forum chat & paper talk :spock: ]

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

Pathetic. 

We've not appointed a manager yet tbf and the most recent national team manager was reportedly at Dens today. Let's see how things pan out.

• Like 6

So far I've heard that Strachan is signed and sealed and the McPake just isn't quite ready yet.

Would Nelms really make the same mistake twice of trying to appoint a coach who isn't wanted?. You'd think after the Dodds fiasco that he'd have covered all bases before offering a job Strachan, if indeed he has.

I'm guessing that the playing budget is maybe less than was expected after relegation and then Strachan's wage has  to be considered too.

There were rumours of Goodwin favouring Jimmy Nichol as his assistant, would we be willing to employ both Nichol and Strachan?.

Lots of speculation. Personally I think we'll end up with McPake and A.N.other with Strachan supporting. We'll then get the old 'McPake was always our preferred choice' trotted out.

I'd rather have Goodwin without Strachan than Strachan without Goodwin.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Agreed. If he turns us down that's a good thing because clearly his heart isn't in it. If we keep throwing him incentives and he reluctantly accepts that might prove bad for him and us.

Also, there are no guarantees he'll be able to step up. Kerno was spectacularly successive at Clyde. In his first-ever season in management he won 72 points and finished second in the Championship. The following season they were runners-up again, missing out on the title by a single point. He then went to Dens and helped us towards the worst season in our history.

We need to find the right fit. Ideally someone who is passionate about being successful at Dens but also has the tools to make it happen. If it takes time to appoint the next manager so be it. Both McCann and McIntyre appointments seemed a bit rushed, desperate and ill-thought-out. Hopefully we get this one right.

I don't think we'll take our time. If Goodwin turns us down then Nelms will sh*t a brick and immediately appointment McPake imo.

7 minutes ago, harry94 said:

We've not appointed a manager yet tbf and the most recent national team manager was reportedly at Dens today.

Jeez Harry, if that is the case then thats gives me the fear...no way do i want Alec Mc Leish near Dens.😀😀

• Funny 1
  • Like 1

No other media organisation is running the story about Goodwin (so far). It's just the Sun with no substance or anything. Let's just wait and see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

26 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

Pathetic. 

Come on, be fair. Nothing is settled and IMO you are being unnecessarily critical. Why post your views and your assessment before the details are known?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gowrie Dee 1962 said:

Nobody knows what's going on?!

Really?  Looks like a few folk have decided already.  2 + 2 = 22

• Funny 2

26 minutes ago, kendo491 said:

I'd rather have Goodwin without Strachan than Strachan without Goodwin.

You've got that  the wrong way round 😀

The day I take a headline from the sun as gospel will be a sad day.

29 minutes ago, harry94 said:

We've not appointed a manager yet tbf and the most recent national team manager was reportedly at Dens today. Let's see how things pan out.

Yes, we need to wait and see. It might all turn out well.

Recent history has dictated that there is a lot of pessimism still around. 

44 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

Pathetic. 

Bit harsh j? 

• Like 1