The Dark Blues
harry94

League Cup 19/20 Thread

Rate this topic

With the Scottish season coming to an end yesterday, I thought it'd be a good idea to have a look at how seeding is shaping up for the 2019/2020 League Cup. Seeding for tournaments this season is based on our finish in the previous year so despite being relegated, we'll be seeded ahead of Ross County.

It's not been confirmed but a few sports journalists are saying that the draw will be conducted via a live stream tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon.

Who are we all wanting? For me, United for a bit of extra cash and then the three weakest unseeded sides - I'd rather just get through and hopefully get a televised last 16 tie with a big crowd again to help the books, maybe Elgin or Cove (just moved into a new stadium and strongly rumoured to be taken over by Hartley in the coming days) would be nice to tick off the ground list. The horrible scenario would be Ross County, Arbroath, Raith and Peterhead - a group we should still easily qualify from but two of the better unseeded and then a Peterhead side who seem to always pump higher division sides.

We have been drawn in Group D

Group D

Dundee (12) 

Inverness CT (15)

Raith Rovers (25)

Peterhead (33)

Cove Rangers (HL) 

Fixtures

Sat 13th July – Raith Rovers vs. Dundee – 3pm
Wed 17th July – Cove Rangers vs. Dundee – 7.45pm
Sat 20th July – Dundee vs. Peterhead – 3pm
Sun 28th July – Dundee vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle – 3pm

If Goodwin got the job then his knowledge of Alloa as the 2nd seed opponents may be useful. 

Dundee, Dun Utd, Cove, Elgin Stenny

Being selfish I’d go ICT, Elgin, Peterhead and cove. But I reckon we’d do better having a strong group to focus on so bring on Utd, Arbroath, Raith and Forfar.

• Like 1

Yet another awful group for a terrible tournament. 

Dundee are in group D for the Betfred Cup and will face 🏆

Inverness CT 
Raith Rovers 
Peterhead
Cove Rangers

*The group stage will start on the 13/14 July.

A tough group.

We'll be at home to Inverness but I don't think the rest of the games have any set order. We'll be away to at least one of Cove or Peterhead, though. Hopefully the former to tick the ground off.

20 hours ago, bjs said:

Being selfish I’d go ICT, Elgin, Peterhead and cove. But I reckon we’d do better having a strong group to focus on so bring on Utd, Arbroath, Raith and Forfar.

Must've been a smudge on your crystal ball, that's almost spot on.👍

• Like 1

Decent tough draw. Good games before the league kicks off! 

Two hours on from the draw, and BBC Scotland / Scottish Football / Scottish League Cup web pages have no mention of it.

No OF > No interest > No-one bothering to type the article?

3 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Two hours on from the draw, and BBC Scotland / Scottish Football / Scottish League Cup web pages have no mention of it.

No OF > No interest > No-one bothering to type the article?

At least STV made the effort to put the draw online.

Other than the usually-difficult ICT, it's not a bad draw....but is our ball tied to Peterheid's by elastic?

It's a pity we don't play home & away....it's a good 'rowing boat charity challenge' from Kirkaldy round to Inversneckie. Visiting Cove would be good, first visit to the new stadium, roughly the site of an old junior/amateur pitch (where I played in an Aberdeenshire amateur cup final), and near my old house in Redmoss.

19 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Other than the usually-difficult ICT, it's not a bad draw....but is our ball tied to Peterheid's by elastic?

It's a pity we don't play home & away....it's a good 'rowing boat charity challenge' from Kirkaldy round to Inversneckie. Visiting Cove would be good, first visit to the new stadium, roughly the site of an old junior/amateur pitch (where I played in an Aberdeenshire amateur cup final), and near my old house in Redmoss.

2 minutes from my front door in Creel Drive,  Cove v Dundee used to be a pre season friendly. 

21 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

You will know the boozers and chippers then?

• Funny 1

Just now, Huggs66 said:

2 minutes from my front door in Creel Drive,  Cove v Dundee used to be a pre season friendly. 

Pre match fan zone?

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Pre match fan zone?

The langdykes is the local pub, fine food at the Cove Bay hotel, the Wellington is just doon the road and if you want to pay a fortune for a drink then the Altens hotel is right on the circle. 

4 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

The langdykes is the local pub, fine food at the Cove Bay hotel, the Wellington is just doon the road and if you want to pay a fortune for a drink then the Altens hotel is right on the circle. 

Some ex Dee’s played at Cove after leaving Den’s , Paul Tosh and Gerry o’Driscoll; we shouldn’t underestimate the margin that they won by against Berwick, 7-0 flattered Berwick they will be a real handful that early in the season, more so they will be playing an established 11 against our team of newbies. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

You misunderstood...I meant your hoose!

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

You misunderstood...I meant your hoose!

Pre match perty @Huggs66 hoose.😂🍻

9 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Pre match perty @Huggs66 hoose.😂🍻

Gents, are you all right wi dugs, I have three, they will love you all to death, hopefully I am home for the game. Will speak to the wife for permission re. Dee Perty. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huggs66 said:

Gents, are you all right wi dugs, I have three, they will love you all to death, hopefully I am home for the game. Will speak to the wife for permission re. Dee Perty. 😂

I will bring the crisps and nuts!👍😂

1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

You will know the boozers and chippers then?

That part of Aberdeen is largely the Tullos (mainly oil & gas) industrial estate, with huge areas of new housing & some more industrial areas added along the Wellington Rd dual carriageway, bridging what was left of the gap between Tullos & Cove. I'd be surprised if there are any new pubs in that area, or takeaways. Maybe the Cover 'gers have a wee social club?

The closest walking distance pub/restaurant to the ground is the Wellington Hotel (formerly the 'Gay Gordon'/greasy spoon)....or the featureless Altens Hotel, both probably expensive.

There's two pubs in Cove, and one in each of the villages just off what's now the A92 (Muchalls, Newtonhill, Portlethen), but Stonehaven's probably the best stop (10-15 minutes away) on the way there/back (the Carron chipper is great...the 'home' of the deep fried mars bar). The Cove stadium's only about 50 minutes from Dundee, though, now the AWPR has split the traffic. 

Huggs66 is 'local', he'll know the pubs (years since I was in them), and if there are any new watering holes.

Just had a look at the stadium on google street view....it's only 200 yards up Redmoss Rd from my old house....which looks like the folk I sold it to in 1982 haven't done anything to it....not even cut the grass :o 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Must've been a smudge on your crystal ball, that's almost spot on.👍

My crystal ball gave out dual letters and I went for Borough Briggs and Elgin, should have realised it was the easy option and raith rovers 😂