The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

McPake

Rate this topic

James McPake taking over  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with James McPake being handed the manager's job?

Local and national press saying McPake is taking over. Are you happy with the decision?

They also have been saying Goodwin all week! I’ll abstain until it’s official 😉

• Like 2

Just now, Gowrie Dee 1962 said:

Depends who Assistant is?

McPake is to be unveiled tomorrow. We could be waiting a while to find out who the assistant is. The club are apparently still working on trying to get Strachan onboard.

If he's joined by Nicholl and Strachan then yes. 

Definitely not expecting automatic promotion now though. I said with Goodwin and I'll say with Mcpake, we have to give him time and not crucify him for a few bad results otherwise we will get nowhere. 

Happy for Mcpake and I really hope it works out for him. Massive risk but possibly get the rewards if we are patient.

• Like 8

If it's McPake, let's give him a little time to get things right. He has the manner and making of a real leader that can take a squad on the journey with him. The fans need to allow that to happen though. 

If it's him of course. 😉 

• Like 2

Had reservations at first in regards to the lack of experience as manager at first team level. However management is much more than being a manager at a previous club to earn your stripes. Man management is key and McPake has the respect of the players & he knows the club. With Jimmy Nichol at his side and who knows, Callum Davidson or someone like him, helping McPake as well he will have the experience around him. Something McCann lacked. 

Then we have Gordon Strachan who will have contacts & knowledge to help our club using his blueprint for our youth academy. 

I have a feeling this will be our last summer of signing 11+ players & we will really start building a team for the future. A team thriving for success & playing for the badge 💙 

Excited! Roll on the new season 💙

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, dblair said:

They also have been saying Goodwin all week! I’ll refrain until it’s official 😉

They were right that Goodwin was being offered the job and in advanced talks but he surprising said no.

The job is now being offered to McPake and I think we can assume he's going to accept. It's a fantastic opportunity for a recently retired player and he's already a Dundee employee. I suspect it's been shook on already with papers signed tonight.

1 minute ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

If he's joined by Nicholl and Strachan then yes. 

Definitely not expecting automatic promotion now though. I said with Goodwin and I'll say with Mcpake, we have to give him time and not crucify him for a few bad results otherwise we will get nowhere. 

Happy for Mcpake and I really hope it works out for him. Massive risk but possibly get the rewards if we are patient.

Most of the type of candidates we'd be interested in would be a gamble mate. Man management, imo, is absolutely crucial. Get that right and the players will give you their all. Tactics and formations can come with on the job coaching. Hopefully McPake gets enough points on the board early doors to get the confidence up and to give him a fighting chance of lasting at least until to the end of the season.

• Like 2

If he can build a rapport with the fans and get them onside, he has a chance.

He must turn Dens into a fortress and get the team winning with attacking football.

We are sick to death of negative anti football.

I’m happy with McPake and hope he gets an experienced assistant manager however Ross County proved you don’t need to be an experienced manager to win the championship.

Not convinced bringing Strachan in is a good move 🤨

If it is Mcpake then I think we will see a lot of young home grown talent given a chance and that long term is a good thing. It will be a a huge struggle next season and certainly not confident we'll get promotion but I do believe if he gets experienced support from the likes of a Strachan or Nicholl and the fans have patience then maybe the future is brighter than we think 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Most of the type of candidates we'd be interested in would be a gamble mate. Man management, imo, is absolutely crucial. Get that right and the players will give you their all. Tactics and formations can come with on the job coaching. Hopefully McPake gets enough points on the board early doors to get the confidence up and to give him a fighting chance of lasting at least until to the end of the season.

McCann's biggest problems were coming up clever tactical managers, facing quality players and having horrible runs of fixtures.

McPake won't have those problems next season. If he gets the man-management part right like you say, the results will come.

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

McCann's biggest problems were coming up clever tactical managers, facing quality players and having horrible runs of fixtures.

McPake won't have those problems next season. If he gets the man-management part right like you say, the results will come.

So, McCann's biggest problems was that we played games against teams in the same league we were in? 😉 

• Funny 1

Massive gamble, I'm not convinced and it's unrealistic to think he'll get time, he needs to get a few early victories to settle us fans as at this level we should be competing for the championship, no ifs no buts.

I've said in another post this appointment scares me more than enthuses me, just not convinced Mcpake is good enough to build a squad and then make them competitive in a few months, I really hope it works for our sakes as it doesn't take much to find yourself in the wrong playoffs in this division.

Think McCanns problem was he was too stubborn & had an inexperienced assistant that only seemed to look puzzled & argue with linesman

Edited by DFC#1

4 minutes ago, DeeVinci said:

Massive gamble, I'm not convinced and it's unrealistic to think he'll get time, he needs to get a few early victories to settle us fans as at this level we should be competing for the championship, no ifs no buts.

I've said in another post this appointment scares me more than enthuses me, just not convinced Mcpake is good enough to build a squad and then make them competitive in a few months, I really hope it works for our sakes as it doesn't take much to find yourself in the wrong playoffs in this division.

So who is then?

Just now, barkblue said:

So, McCann's biggest problems was that we played games against teams in the same league we were in? 😉 

If you look at the first half of last season for United. Three defeats to Alloa (two on pens), a shoot-out defeat to Arbroath, a 5-0 battering at home to Ayr and a 2-0 defeat at Somerset. Those are the kinds of defeats can destroy confidence and it's incredibly difficult to recover if you've got Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in your tougher games. Luckily for Neilson (and McPake) there's an endless stream of winnable games to get yourselves back on track. Plus there's the play-offs, which mean your season is very likely to stay alive until May even if one team pulls away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

So who is then?

I'm no sure Billy, I'd love to make out I do, Mcpake may well work out just fine and maybe we're moving to a different model were say Strachan sources the players and Mcpake trains and picks the team, I really hope it works out but I'm too long in the tooth to expect it just will.

Edited by DeeVinci
  • Funny 1
  • Like 1

if it is to be mcpake then he'll get my support. massive risk i think but all depends on who the assistant will be. plus the added help from strachan. could be a good mix but also could be a complete disaster and yet another heros name tarnished by failing as manager. I really hope for him that this is a success. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cobra said:

If you look at the first half of last season for United. Three defeats to Alloa (two on pens), a shoot-out defeat to Arbroath, a 5-0 battering at home to Ayr and a 2-0 defeat at Somerset. Those are the kinds of defeats can destroy confidence and it's incredibly difficult to recover if you've got Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in your tougher games. Luckily for Neilson (and McPake) there's an endless stream of winnable games to get yourselves back on track. Plus there's the play-offs, which mean your season is very likely to stay alive until May even if one team pulls away.

So you mean like a home defeat to Dunfermline or Ayr United when they are the league below us? The biggest problem last season was that we constructed two below average Championship squads to play in the top flight.

The Championship is a notoriously difficult league to compete in. Everyone will see us as a scalp, including United, and most teams will allow us to make the running in games and sit in tight, looking to exploit on the break. Just as United found last season and we found when we were last down there. I don't think there'll be any easy run of games next season and no respite. Previous experience should tell us that. 

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

25 minutes ago, Cobra said:

They were right that Goodwin was being offered the job and in advanced talks but he surprising said no.

Questions have to be asked why, if true, talks were so advanced and then fell down ? Strachan ?

Massive risk as others have said...

He may be highly thought of and loves the club but that doesn't mean he's gonna be any good.

Neil McCann loved the club and he is half of the reason why we are now in the championship.

I obviously want him to succeed but once again the club leaves me disappointed. I take it the criteria Nelms talked about is a load of bollocks?

McPake giving the youths a chance is that supposed to make him a good manager? They do actually have to be good enough to improve the team and not just based on their age. 

The Sun says by the time Goodwin came back from holiday the board were more open to appointing MacPake as manager. What is true and not true we do not know and probably never will. I have no complaints against this appointment. He will give 120% to bring success on that we can depend and his loyalty to Dundee F.C. is not in question. With an experienced assistant MacPake could turn out to be an inspired appointment. The way he had the team playing against St.Mirren was promising and we would have won if it had not been for the sending off. We need to give him our full backing.

13 minutes ago, barkblue said:

So you mean like a home defeat to Dunfermline or Ayr United when they are the league below us? The biggest problem last season was that we constructed two below average Championship squads to play in the top flight.

The Championship is a notoriously difficult league to compete in. Everyone will see us as a scalp, including United, and most teams will allow us to make the running in games and sit in tight, looking to exploit on the break. Just as United found last season and we found when we were last down there. I don't think there'll be any easy run of games next season and no respite. Previous experience should tell us that. 

Hartley was sacked after seven defeats in a row. Seven defeats on the bounce got McCann sacked and then McIntyre was fired after 10-in-a-row. That's not going to happen to McPake next season. There will be games when we are rotten and come away with three points. If we drop points at home to the likes of Arbroath that will result in a lot of criticism but the fixture list is not going to have us trembling, even though teams will of course make it difficult for us.