Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Lovejoy

Cammy Kerr.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

I don't think the skill of crossing is easy. You have a player running at a certain speed, the ball at another and a forward, presumably, running into a space. All have to match to be a goal scoring opportunity. Of course countless practising should help. 

But can be practiced relentlessly. The more you practice the better you would get surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

But can be practiced relentlessly. The more you practice the better you would get surely?

I'd rather the back 5 practised relentlessly. Dabs conceded very very few goals in last 10 games. Winning most 1 nil. Our whole back 5 was a shambles last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerr is poor top league wise, no one in that league would go anywhere near him.  Our league now maybe.

  • Confused 1
  • Wowzer 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Densparker said:

He's one of our own!

Honestly think this stuff adds an extra burden that he really doesn't need. I agree with @Blue4evr in that  he should just be treated like any other player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe it's a given that Cammy will re-sign. From a purely selfish point of view I'd love him here next season and beyond but I think it would be best for him personally if he moved on. It'll be a bit of a coup for McPake imo if he can persuade Cammy to stay as I know he's been urged to move on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

Kerr is poor top league wise, no one in that league would go anywhere near him.  Our league now maybe.

Why give an opinion as if its a totally hard fact? A forum is for opinions. In my opinion! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

Kerr is poor top league wise, no one in that league would go anywhere near him.  Our league now maybe.

Not too sure about that , I know that terms were agreed for him to move to Ross County last season. It'll be interesting to see whether they come back in for him now that he's a free agent. I'd think if he moved though it probably wouldn't be there as I doubt they'd pay too much more than us, or not enough for him to consider it anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think last season is a true reflection of Cammy's ability. With no protection in front of him and centre-backs changing on a weekly basis, it's no great surprise that his form and confidence suffered.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue4evr said:

I'd rather the back 5 practised relentlessly. Dabs conceded very very few goals in last 10 games. Winning most 1 nil. Our whole back 5 was a shambles last season.

That is obvious too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, harry94 said:

Cammy certainly got a bit of extra credit from a lot of the support and I do think some of the hype around him when he hit the scene was really a bit ridiculous but he did improve a lot through his first proper season and ended it looking very capable. I think it's fair in that instance to cut him a bit of slack and maybe presume that a lot of it is tactical, no one becomes poor overnight.

The extra credit is certainly something that Kerr gets due to his life-long affiliation to the club; however, is that a bad thing? Was the hype he got that rediculous or was it a good motivational tool? I think part of Kerr’s initial form was arguably aided by the ‘one of his own’ hype. Hitting the scene with the crowd (that he was once part of) getting right behind him would have been an absolute buzz.

Let’s not forget that both Darren O’Dea and James McPake commented on Kerr ‘bleeding dark blue’ as well. I think it was O’Dea that said while he might not be technically the best, his work rate and determination is more for the club than it is for himself.  I think a decent player playing for the jersey is probably better value to the club than a journeyman or non-league nobody who walks up the tunnel at the end of each game not really caring if we win lose it draw so long as he’s picking up a wage.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Dees give a bit of extra credit to one of our own giving everything for the club? Watch back that horrific, half-arsed performance by a team of mostly loan players as we were relegated at Dens by Accies, and you have the answer.

  • Like 3
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerr's a confidence player, with the way he was dropped after poor results regardless of how he had actually played it's no wonder that his form dipped. If he re-signs then I think we'll see a much more confident and better player. 

  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

IMO Cammy has been his own worst enemy because he's just so accepting of whatever is offered up (McCann has a lot to answer for) which has been detrimental to his career. I've a feeling that McPake will make him captain and play him in a position that suits his game and without the pressure of having to do multiple jobs whilst the underformers slope off undetected. We just can't ask him to charge up the park and deliver pinpoint balls and goalscoring passes AND get back and defend against incoming crosses whilst expecting perfect performances. Someone else needs to fill in and take some of the pressure off him when he's up the park and others need to do their bit in tracking back and doubling up if necessary. The laddie just needs to play his natural game in his proper position for an extended period and then we'll see exactly what we've got on our books. 

Captain would be a big mistake imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cammy would do a job in the championship but agree his crossing needs to improve, by that I mean  deeper curling crosses with pace, maybe is trying to be too accurate rather than just sticking the ball in,  as for defending it didn't help he had Jessie Curran playing in front of him now there's a footballer that's clueless at the art of defending.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul McGinn was Cammy,s predecessor and has just won't ST Mirrens player of the year.

Cammy is very similar-there are not many  better full backs  in the premiership than  Cammy.

Most teams out with the to 5 would grab Camy with open arms.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the fact that Cammy's crossing has not been great, but not many wide men get the better of him. He is still one of the best one on one defenders we have. When one looks back on the Hibs game we lost 4-2 Horgan was going past Horsefield as if he wasn't there. McGowan was having to try to cover for Horsefield's inadequacy with the result that Kunsunga was left on his own in the middle. If Cammy had been there he could easily have matched Horgan for pace and Hibs would not have enjoyed the freedom they had down the left. I think Cammy can recover his initial good form and can become a valuable part of the team. I have no qualms with those like PB who criticise because he has not been at his best in the last two seasons, and better informed than me have given their views for the reasons behind this. I think however we saw a bit of the old Cammy in the last game playing a role that suits him. We need players like him who have a bond with the fans.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

Captain would be a big mistake imo.

Depends on the backing that he's recieving from his gaffer. I agree with you but I also think that with the right support he's capable of taking it on. Out of the current candidates Cammy is the most likely one to be on the park every week too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

Captain would be a big mistake imo.

Making him captain so early was a big mistake,  but nowadays he looks so much more mature in the interviews. I think he could do the job well now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever is made captain for next season should be the best candidate for the role and not just the longest serving player or most local player to Dens.  As we have still to sign around a  dozen or more players that decision is best left for July.

The year he won the award, CK fully deserved to be POTY.  Great performances combined with undoubted potential at the time.

Since then there has generally been an obvious drop in the level of his performances, to the point he just needed to be dropped/rested. He had become a liability.  Having said that I reckon all players go through these phases and its more how they deal with them and come out the other end.  It could also be said that his loss of form coincided with various of our teams falling apart tbh.  Making him captain/vice captain at that time was a nonsense and I'll never understand the decision. 

I'll agree that he hasn't been helped in recent years by the lack of assistance in front of him but as a full back you must know this is often going to happen and you have to be able to deal with it.  If a full back is going to get skinned when one on one most times the opposition attacks, you are not going to be much use as a defence.  

CK has a good number of attributes and more than just merits a new deal at this football club.  Things will not be that much easier for him in the Championship next season and he needs to step up to the plate.  Forget about being captain, forget about attacking and defending in the same breath, forget about crossing balls like Beckham and forget about being one of our own.  Start by doing the basics really, really well.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anybody can get him to stay it will be McPake, if he is successful I expect CKs form to vastly improve under Jimmy Nichols guidance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Attilio said:

Whoever is made captain for next season should be the best candidate for the role and not just the longest serving player or most local player to Dens.  As we have still to sign around a  dozen or more players that decision is best left for July.

The year he won the award, CK fully deserved to be POTY.  Great performances combined with undoubted potential at the time.

Since then there has generally been an obvious drop in the level of his performances, to the point he just needed to be dropped/rested. He had become a liability.  Having said that I reckon all players go through these phases and its more how they deal with them and come out the other end.  It could also be said that his loss of form coincided with various of our teams falling apart tbh.  Making him captain/vice captain at that time was a nonsense and I'll never understand the decision. 

I'll agree that he hasn't been helped in recent years by the lack of assistance in front of him but as a full back you must know this is often going to happen and you have to be able to deal with it.  If a full back is going to get skinned when one on one most times the opposition attacks, you are not going to be much use as a defence.  

CK has a good number of attributes and more than just merits a new deal at this football club.  Things will not be that much easier for him in the Championship next season and he needs to step up to the plate.  Forget about being captain, forget about attacking and defending in the same breath, forget about crossing balls like Beckham and forget about being one of our own.  Start by doing the basics really, really well.

 

Cammy's confidence was shattered, he knew that he wasn't wanted by his manager and that he'd be the first one to get a hammering after defeats. I've heard  this on very good authority. McPake will treat him with respect and make it clear to him how valuable he is, if he chooses to re-sign. I think if he's still here next season we'll see exactly what Cammy is all about.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Cammy's confidence was shattered, he knew that he wasn't wanted by his manager and that he'd be the first one to get a hammering after defeats. I've heard  this on very good authority. McPake will treat him with respect and make it clear to him how valuable he is, if he chooses to re-sign. I think if he's still here next season we'll see exactly what Cammy is all about.

Fully agree, Rev....after a terrific year that ended with the fully-deserved POTY awards, it puzzled me to see his game go a bit backwards, and his confidence appear to take a bit of a dip. Having been a positive example to the youths, he seemed to then become too easy a target for managers 'tinkering' too much & removing whatever strengths had been built up the previous season.

I bumped into Cammy outside Dens during the week before the St.M game, and only had time for the briefest of chats with him, but left with the certain feeling that he really wants to stay. I didn't have time to mention that, should he decide instead to take up an offer elsewhere to improve his career, I don't think anyone around Dens is ever going to criticise him for that, given how he was treated. 

McPake probably knows Cammy well enough to know how to motivate him, and will make good use of him as a role model pro, for the young guys. As Spiritof62 says (below), McPake also has one of the best full-backs from a couple of decades of the English/Scottish game as his assistant, and this is a great opportunity for Cammy to use Nicholl's coaching to build up his game, and restore his confidence.

5 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

If anybody can get him to stay it will be McPake, if he is successful I expect CKs form to vastly improve under Jimmy Nichols guidance.

Re the much-discussed 'crossing' aspect, two of Cammy's strengths in his first season were the 'direct at goal' runs he made, which often ended with him earning a free-kick close to the box, and getting beyond the left-back to get the ball across goal. The spell when his crossing appeared to go wrong, to me, seemed to be both PH & NM discouraging him from making those runs, leaving him to deliver balls from no further forward than around 10 yards over halfway (ie, roughly in front of where they were standing at the dugout), and diagonally to the far post, where an underhit ball will be cut out, and an overhit ball is going to go out for a goal-kick. I'm confident we'll see this bit of Cammy's role change, worked on with Nicholl.

  • Like 4
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bobby123 said:

Paul McGinn was Cammy,s predecessor and has just won't ST Mirrens player of the year.

Cammy is very similar-there are not many  better full backs  in the premiership than  Cammy.

Most teams out with the to 5 would grab Camy with open arms.

 

So why have they not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.