The Dark Blues
Cobra

Worst Goals of the Season

Rate this topic

37 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I had a feeling DFC might feature in this compilation.

https://streamable.com/w2vxg

Is that worst goal we've scored....or worst goal we've conceded? I suspect we've excelled at both. :o  

[ Just finished watching....a lot of very hilarious goals, and Jack Hamilton's in exalted company, some very big teams & famous names in there. I'm anticipating a proposal from the goalie's union to have pass-backs banned completely :happyyes: ] 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Is that worst goal we've scored....or worst goal we've conceded? I suspect we've excelled at both. :o  

[ Just finished watching....a lot of very hilarious goals, and Jack Hamilton's in exalted company, some very big teams & famous names in there. I'm anticipating a proposal from the goalie's union to have pass-backs banned completely :happyyes: ] 

If goalkeepers had had their way they'd still be able to pick up backpasses. The law change in the early 1990s was a huge shock to the many keepers who couldn't control the ball with their feet. Jim Leighton comes to mind.

30 minutes ago, Rumple said:

If goalkeepers had had their way they'd still be able to pick up backpasses. The law change in the early 1990s was a huge shock to the many keepers who couldn't control the ball with their feet. Jim Leighton comes to mind.

I remember the chaos the change caused, and how, even after a few months of practice, some excellent safe-handed goalkeepers suddenly became nervous wrecks when a ball was passed back to them. That really set Leighton back a long way, his confidence vanished & it took him some time to adjust. 

At the time, I recall wondering why coaches didn't just focus on getting their defenders to just hoof the ball anywhere away from goal...and same for the keeper if it did come their way. Mind you, even that was a challenge to some of those keepers!  

When a 'keeper throws the ball in the goal or does something stupid, I get it. Humans just do daft things sometimes, I even remember Edwin van der Sar (probably the most consistent top class 'keeper in the world at that point) throw a gentle cross at a strikers feet under no pressure at Man Utd once.

The ones that get me are when the shiteness just seems to infect the team. I'll nominate the goal we lost against Hearts in our last fixture, we lost 1-0 and tbh our form was actually quite reasonable going into that game. You always feel that you're one wee result away from things changing and a bit more confidence!

I really shouldn't laugh but the whole thing is so comical from start to finish.

Garuccio has a throw in on the left side and has two near targets, Djoum and Vanecek, being marked by Horsefield, Dales and Woods. Good stuff, we've got them well marked out the game and will even have the throw in taker closed down quick if they get a ball back. Of course, they have zero positional awareness between them and Hearts manage to find a wee bit of space and get a few nice touches and then end up in a position to swing a dangerous ball across goal.

All good, we've got the three attackers in the box well marked with an extra man spare to defend....one gets a flick on and all turns to chaos as the ball lands equidistant between about half the team and they all respectfully wait their turn to try a failed hoof attempt each. After they each miss, we let the Hearts boy have his try and he succeeds.