The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Do we really need a training camp with half a squad. I hope Keyes is footing the bill!

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, travellingdee said:

Do we really need a training camp with half a squad. I hope Keyes is footing the bill!

We've got half a squad today, I'd imagine that won't be the case when we arrive in Spain. 

• Like 3

How can anyone see a negative in this ? Deary me ☹️

• Like 4
  • Star Post 2

The fact we only have half a squad from last year and a new gaffer is more the reason to have one to allow gelling. 

Edited by Deestruction
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, travellingdee said:

They aren’t travelling over there for another 4 weeks! I’d like to think we’d have most of our business done by then

• Like 3

If we hadn't sold our flat in Spain in January we would gave been a 15 min drive from the training camp. Timing damn timing. It should be nice and hot for the players then - any carrying extra weight will soon loose it.

1 hour ago, travellingdee said:

I think its safe to say Keyes has been footing the bill for the last 5 years. Are you thinking of organising a whip round to help ????

• Funny 3
  • Star Post 1

Has a training camp ever benefited us

for the new season I don’t think it has.

27 minutes ago, WESTENDDEE said:

Newcastle have used the same facilities and look how it benefitted them. 😒

18 minutes ago, WESTENDDEE said:

It is a good opportunity for bonding but I remember Austria 2016 cost us Harkins and left us with zero creativity that season. We narrowly avoided the drop but we've been a bit of a shambles ever since that summer when we lost Stewart, Hemmings and Harkins. The loss of GGH was probably avoidable.

Players not used to being away together will get on the beers and might end up overdoing it and saying things they shouldn't.

Hopefully Spain will pass without incident though and prove beneficial for the squad.

It's a really fine line for these camps imo. As @Cobra has said above, some guys can go OTT with the bevvy when given a night off, other guys who are not as outgoing may lock themselves away when they are not training.

The boys will be living in each others pockets, which is a great opportunity for them to bond and become really close teammates. I'm a big fan of it as team-spirit can make up for a lack in quality.

There's a great video out there of Harry Redknapp telling how he basically pummelled his Southampton team and then they all enjoyed their night off after working hard.

Having the players at his disposal for 10-12 hours a day will really help Jazza imo, he can really put in the work to get his squad to buy into his ideas / methods.

Who's flying out for the friendly? I'm tempted.

20 mins from the old Murcia Airport (San Javier) A dawdle once you land and worth staying in Los Alcazerez and combining with the gowf.

Plus Gordon Strachan lives just doon the road at La Manga.

Edited by Billy Campbell's Ghost

40 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Players not used to being away together will get on the beers and might end up overdoing it and saying things they shouldn't.

Maybe I’m wrong but just maybe Mcpake might be the leader of a few beer together as a squad night off? Maybe way off the mark but he seems to be the kind of guy who wants to be close with the players which isn’t always the case with Hartley for example

5 minutes ago, dblair said:

Maybe I’m wrong but just maybe Mcpake might be the leader of a few beer together as a squad night off? Maybe way off the mark but he seems to be the kind of guy who wants to be close with the players which isn’t always the case with Hartley for example

I do dislike the beer culture of footballers. Athletes?

6 minutes ago, dblair said:

According to KT, Hartley was a bit of a recluse who kept himself to himself and didn't bond with the players so you can see how a week in Europe might lead to a fall-out. Like you say McPake is probably going to more comfortable with a situation where the players are having a few beers and getting a bit lairy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Beer (or a nice shiraz) can be the glue that helps build that mythical team spirit. We've seen in recent years that UK teams have been fairly successful with a drinking culture. I'm not advocating it but if its what makes thing work then fair enough, I'm not dead set against it. Saying that, I doubt it will be happening, the 'fashion' is to copy the big teams so no drinkipoos will be encouraged.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I wasn’t alluding to a beer culture but simply a team “get together” outside training etc. Who knows, I just get the feeling that Mcpake will be a manager that’s closer to the players and as such not worried about a potential fall out on a preseason trip

9 hours ago, chomp my root said:

I think its safe to say Keyes has been footing the bill for the last 5 years. Are you thinking of organising a whip round to help ????

I've started with 50p. What can I put you down for?  Is Keyes not expecting his money back at some point I'm sure I read on here the money he put in was only  loan at a very good rate of interest

Edited by travellingdee

9 hours ago, dblair said:

They aren’t travelling over there for another 4 weeks! I’d like to think we’d have most of our business done by then

Sorry got a bit ahead of myself there forgot about the timeline. But I still don't see the need to go to Spain when the same thing can be done nearer home. And was the excesive heat not one of the excuses used for our poor showing in the friendlies last year.

Edited by travellingdee

3 minutes ago, travellingdee said:

I've started with 50p. What can I put you down for?

I'll stick to 50p travel' ...

I've reached a crucial stage in the negotiatiatons with Mrs G, with regards the renistating, of my £5 per week, Pocket Money.

However, based on past experience, I do not see this reaching a fruitful conclusion. She has now just about cut back on the

Physical Punishment side of our relationship (Margaret found the prolonged daily beatings, too tiring and time consuming)

However, she has now delved deeper into the psychcological approach, on the basis it's much less effort...And more fun :tears:

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

It is a good opportunity for bonding but I remember Austria 2016 cost us Harkins and left us with zero creativity that season. We narrowly avoided the drop but we've been a bit of a shambles ever since that summer when we lost Stewart, Hemmings and Harkins. The loss of GGH was probably avoidable.

Hopefully Spain will pass without incident though and prove beneficial for the squad.

And then there was the Caulker episode which couldn't have helped squad morale. 

Hope this works out well for McPake and Nicholl. 

2 of us booked up, belter of a route to get there - hope the friendly isn't closed doors 🤣 🍻

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dondeh said:

And then there was the Caulker episode which couldn't have helped squad morale. 

Hope this works out well for McPake and Nicholl. 

With that management team, there will be no nonsense, they will also be close to the team to build the relationships needed going forward it could well be the best summer camp that club have had in many years. 

3 hours ago, travellingdee said:

Is Keyes not expecting his money back at some point I'm sure I read on here the money he put in was only  loan at a very good rate of interest

When FPS put funds in to cover any imminent shortfall, it will initially be in the books as a loan. They've subsequently had those loans converted to shares.

The Club reached the end of the unissued shares late last year, leading to the Shareholders General Meeting last month, where the total share capital was increased from £2m to £4m....so whatever the FPS loans in the accounts were at the end of the recent season can now be converted to part of the new £2m available. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

When FPS put funds in to cover any imminent shortfall, it will initially be in the books as a loan. They've subsequently had those loans converted to shares.

The Club reached the end of the unissued shares late last year, leading to the Shareholders General Meeting last month, where the total share capital was increased from £2m to £4m....so whatever the FPS loans in the accounts were at the end of the recent season can now be converted to part of the new £2m available. 

Thanks for that Woodstein. I can see you've got a much better business sense than me, most of that went right over my head.