Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
WoodStein

Re Scott Bain's Fallout At Dens....

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

This Tom English article has just surfaced, with a fair bit about his time at Dens & his departure, thought I'd add it here, rather than in the 'death zone' area.

A couple of bits to quote....

(Bain): "Football has a funny way of cream rising to the top".....I heard him say that after the cup final & wondered what might be going through Rivers' mind :o

(English): "Rodgers used to say that, for the life of him, he couldn't understand how any manager could fall out with Bain, who he saw as a model pro."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48542794

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

This Tom English article has just surfaced, with a fair bit about his time at Dens & his departure, thought I'd add it here, rather than in the 'death zone' area.

A couple of bits to quote....

(Bain): "Football has a funny way of cream rising to the top".....I heard him say that after the cup final & wondered what might be going through Rivers' mind :o

(English): "Rodgers used to say that, for the life of him, he couldn't understand how any manager could fall out with Bain, who he saw as a model pro."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48542794

 

Regardless of what happened, there are lot's of managers who could start fights with air conditioning units

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not as if I never said - repeatedly - he'd go on to be Scotland's number one and play at a much higher level than Dundee. B)

 

Edited by WeighorstsWang
Can't tag Rivers. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Bain is an a**e it seems but he probably got a raw deal from the whole situation while at Dens. Just a guess.

 His comments since moving on have lacked class though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was one of the few guys that were decent under MCann, probably his big ego and big mouth were his downfall with the manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

 

(Bain): "Football has a funny way of cream rising to the top".....I heard him say that after the cup final & wondered what might be going through Rivers' mind :o

 

 

Good keeper but what a belter he is.

Scott Bain's a bit of a cracker too.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bain was a problem he even had issues with the fans.

its a pity we didn’t get a fee for him. I honestly think he

had an  attitude problem.  But soon realised at Celtic he

had to keep his big mouth shut fu cking a**e hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not got a problem with Bain. He came here, did alright and won himself a move to the biggest club in the land. I'm just disappointed that we didn't manage his situation better and land ourselves some financial compensation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ivan Drago said:

Let’s not forget that Bain had an absolute shocker the day of that Hamilton game. He was also in “questionable” form up to then. He’d also allegedly fallen out with Hartley, a man he pretty much owes his career too  

The fact that Parrish came in and kept more clean sheets than him also speaks volumes.

if he’s the best the nation has we’ve fallen a long way since the days of Andy Goram.

with such a inflated sense of self importance I’m happy he’s found the perfect club  

 

 

Missed your input Ivan. Spot on for me

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bain is certainly not as good as he thinks he, just look at the goal he flogged at Ibrox a few weeks ago. We'll see how good he is when Celtic are in Europe and he has more than five minutes of action to deal with and the Celtic fans have ago at him.

DFC and McCann made  a right mess of the situation but I know what would happen if I told my boss to go and see to himself, so McCann had very little options and the club was up against it if Bain wouldn't pay the fine, for me you can't have players overruling the manager.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dblair said:

Missed your input Ivan. Spot on for me

Agree with both parts 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It pisses me off that we failed to get either Bain or Kamara sold with a year left on their contract. Both stayed at Dens unhappy, caused disruption and ended up in the first team of one of the Old Firm with Dundee gaining little or nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good keeper but IMO both Rangers keepers are better than him so I think he’ll be lucky to be first choice at Celtic next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cobra said:

It pisses me off that we failed to get either Bain or Kamara sold with a year left on their contract. Both stayed at Dens unhappy, caused disruption and ended up in the first team of one of the Old Firm with Dundee gaining little or nothing.

Cobra, these type of players poisoned the dressing room, add Caulker into the mix and we have probably let £2m slip through the net because they were poorly managed latterly by McCann however the Bain issue was prevalent before Hartley departed. Whilst the loss of cash was bad, the impact to the dressing room has been greater and probably a significant contributor to our current situation. I hope that James McP is focussed on Scottish based young blood with a spine of experienced players   At CH, CM and CF with the likes of McGowan and Miller providing the spine.  We can look forward to a team that will be on the front foot and give us something to shout about. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least his a**e hole will be nice and clean after English licking it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A better than average keeper that is protected by the best defence in the league, was found out in Kazakhstan when having an average Scotland defence in front of him.

I don't imagine it's too difficult for a keeper to keep a clean sheet at Celtic when you're facing 5 shots on target most weeks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Not got a problem with Bain. He came here, did alright and won himself a move to the biggest club in the land. I'm just disappointed that we didn't manage his situation better and land ourselves some financial compensation.

Sadly no one could have managed that move Rev. It was a series of circumstances that coincided in a short snap shot in time, a pure fluke. Karma even. I still can’t believe his good fortune and I bet he has to poke his eye every now and then too (if you’ll pardon the expression). 

I was once told that, after the industrial decline in Dundee, the 3J’s in modern times stood for Junkies, Jakey’s and Jammy b*****ds. No prizes for guessing which one of those Scott is. 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cream comment is in the usual poor taste Bain makes a lot of these 'proclamations' in. However, the tone of English's whole column is exactly what's wrong with coverage of the Scottish game up here. 

He's looking for a story, he's looking to big up the Glasgow clubs and he's looking to belittle us. 'An older voice at the club sizes up the situation and concludes that the over-arching issue here is that Bain needs away, that he has outgrown Dundee, that his talent is such that it should be deployed at the top of the table not the bottom. He needs to fly. ' What the f**k is this? Aesop's Fables? 

Utter bulls**t top to bottom.

Bain was a good keeper. Better than anything that's come since at the club anyway and by some distance (Parish was decent on his day, to be fair). Fans gave him stick for his cocky play at the back, but in the cold light of day the keepers that have come since have tried the same and gotten away with a lot less than he did. Bain didn't like the stick and told them so - fair enough.

Fair to suggest that McCann's man management was hardly impressive and if he'd handled the situation better, then maybe we'd at least got a fee for him rather than basically pulling the plug on our season on deadline day. 

I've no great love for Bain and no real interest in what he does with the rest of his career but I won't be treating him like the pantomime villain because he likes himself way too much. There are plenty arrogant sportsmen and women out there and a lot of them tend to end up doing better than OK. 

  • Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, barkblue said:

The cream comment is in the usual poor taste Bain makes a lot of these 'proclamations' in. However, the tone of English's whole column is exactly what's wrong with coverage of the Scottish game up here. 

He's looking for a story, he's looking to big up the Glasgow clubs and he's looking to belittle us. 'An older voice at the club sizes up the situation and concludes that the over-arching issue here is that Bain needs away, that he has outgrown Dundee, that his talent is such that it should be deployed at the top of the table not the bottom. He needs to fly. ' What the f**k is this? Aesop's Fables? 

Utter bulls**t top to bottom.

Bain was a good keeper. Better than anything that's come since at the club anyway and by some distance (Parish was decent on his day, to be fair). Fans gave him stick for his cocky play at the back, but in the cold light of day the keepers that have come since have tried the same and gotten away with a lot less than he did. Bain didn't like the stick and told them so - fair enough.

Fair to suggest that McCann's man management was hardly impressive and if he'd handled the situation better, then maybe we'd at least got a fee for him rather than basically pulling the plug on our season on deadline day. 

I've no great love for Bain and no real interest in what he does with the rest of his career but I won't be treating him like the pantomime villain because he likes himself way too much. There are plenty arrogant sportsmen and women out there and a lot of them tend to end up doing better than OK. 

BB, a good keeper on his day, ego to big for his bootsand his perceived talent, at Dens we have been blessed with some very good goalkeepers, Ally Donaldson, Thomson Allan, Bobby Geddes and of course big Rab, IMO he has not passed them in the ranking of good DFC keepers. Scott Who ??. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ivan Drago said:

Let’s not forget that Bain had an absolute shocker the day of that Hamilton game. He was also in “questionable” form up to then. He’d also allegedly fallen out with Hartley, a man he pretty much owes his career too  

The fact that Parrish came in and kept more clean sheets than him also speaks volumes.

if he’s the best the nation has we’ve fallen a long way since the days of Andy Goram.

with such a inflated sense of self importance I’m happy he’s found the perfect club  

 

 

Totally agree. 

Bain is lucky we aren’t blessed with keepers at moment. In the days or Goram, Leighton, McGregor, Marshall, Gordon etc he would get nowhere near the starting 11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am amazed that he is where he is.   He is not big enough for a top class goalkeeper and consequently he is unable to command his box.

He was responsible for quite a few goals when he was with us because he would not come off his line nor attack the ball.

  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WoodStein said:

This Tom English article has just surfaced, with a fair bit about his time at Dens & his departure, thought I'd add it here, rather than in the 'death zone' area.

A couple of bits to quote....

(Bain): "Football has a funny way of cream rising to the top".....I heard him say that after the cup final & wondered what might be going through Rivers' mind :o

(English): "Rodgers used to say that, for the life of him, he couldn't understand how any manager could fall out with Bain, who he saw as a model pro."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48542794

 

Scott Bain was a sad loss to the Club. Great to see him be so successful and his ability as a keeper was never in doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.