The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Dondeh

Scotland V Cyprus

Rate this topic

D8jldJXXoAE2S0x.jpg

FFS pic limit¬†ūüė°

Scotland team news in

Steve Clarke has handed Eamonn Brophy his Scotland debut for the national team manager’s first game in charge.

There’s no place for Scott McTominay in the starting line-up, while goalkeeper Scott Bain has been dropped in favour of ex-Celtic shotstopper David Marshall.

Scotland: Marshall, O’Donnell, Robertson, Mulgrew, McKenna, McLean, Forrest, McGinn, Brophy, McGregor, Fraser.

Substitutes: Bain, McLaughlin, Palmer, Souttar, Findlay, McTominay, Russell, Armstrong, McNulty, Cairney, Burke, Taylor.

Edited by Dondeh

Brophy left Hamilton because he couldn't get in the team at New Douglas Park and now he's apparently the country's best option up front.

That's 10 years since Efrem wore dark blue. Very decent player.

What a hit!

https://streamja.com/wwyo

Some player Robertson has turned out to be. Apparently he's valued at £75m. The dabs will be thinking they should have made more out of him.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

We really do make defending look so difficult... https://streamja.com/7yAR

media and tartan army darling scores a screamer but is clearly at fault for equaliser- still the fans at Hampden tonight could see him do no wrong. Incredible strike but Fraser was MOM from my seat. 

• Like 1

I've been very vocal about O'Donnell but I get that there's not many other options so he can kinda be forgiven for taking a place. 

Brophy though!? Stop this nonsense right now. There's not a hope in hell he should be in a Scotland squad never mind first eleven. 

When Scotland appoint a manager from a provincial club they seem to feel obliged to cap guys who served them well at club level even though nobody else would consider them suitable for international football. This being a classic example...

kenneth.jpg.de426a1802c40c5420f5d22cfd37e8b9.jpg

Just watched the Finland goals there and I was wondering if Kamara would be playing in a key role in their latest impressive win.

https://streamja.com/wwn7

https://streamja.com/BzPl

The answer is yes.

Kamara is a special player but I don't think he gave us everything in the same way e.g. The Pole and the Great Dane did.

Maybe I'm being harsh. Maybe he just lacked quality players around. I just get the feeling watching clips of him for Finland that he could have imposed himself more in dark blue.

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

Just watched the Finland goals there and I was wondering if Kamara would be playing in a key role in their latest impressive win.

https://streamja.com/wwn7

https://streamja.com/BzPl

The answer is yes.

Kamara is a special player but I don't think he gave us everything in the same way e.g. The Pole and the Great Dane did.

Maybe I'm being harsh. Maybe he just lacked quality players around. I just get the feeling watching clips of him for Finland that he could have imposed himself more in dark blue.

I think Glen was a different sort of player to those guys though.

People really didn't appreciate his vision. I remember watching him in the second League Cup derby and a lot of stuff he did was just on a different level to anyone else on the pitch but he did it so stealthily. A throw in for Cammy Kerr on the right and he's screaming at Parish to come out and Cammy to put the ball back, moves like that easing a lot of pressure. When he did take the ball and move it on in a tight space, he'd often make a pass to his team mate that was perfectly weighted and set them up to have a very good first touch, even if they were a bit technically limited. Just his talent to take a ball and get it under control as well, well beyond any player we've ever had in that role. I genuinely think he's the most talented natural footballer I've watched at Dundee.

His problem here is that when you spend years growing up in the Arsenal youth academy, you play in a totally different style of play and coming through that environment was a bit different to someone like Stewart who had the technical ability but had to come up through the ranks and drag teams up with him. In a side like that, you've generally got very well defined roles and the defensive midfielder isn't going to be helping the side by maybe taking the ball from distance and trying to hammer a shot at goal when there are a few other creative options there trying to find space. That sort of thing got people very worked up and he did need to be a bit more ambitious himself at times but you can appreciate why he did it. A player like Faissal was the total opposite in trying to be creative himself and take pops at goal and it didn't really help the team at all as he just wasn't good enough to do that.

If there's any player who could repeat what Andy Robertson has achieved and leave a Scottish club to go on and win a European Cup (rather than the other way round), it's definitely Kamara IMO. If he picks his next move well and gets a good manager for him, the sky is the limit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cobra said:

When Scotland appoint a manager from a provincial club they seem to feel obliged to cap guys who served them well at club level even though nobody else would consider them suitable for international football. This being a classic example...

kenneth.jpg.de426a1802c40c5420f5d22cfd37e8b9.jpg

In fairness to Clarke, we've really struggled with that main centre forward position and there aren't a huge number of options - I think when you go through this squad and write them out, it'd be very difficult to exclude Brophy from the squad. Clarke is just in the door so he maybe felt that he could try and at least offer a bit of familiarity to how he was going to set up. I don't think it'll be something he sticks at when McBurnie and Griffiths return but Brophy might get a good move for himself this summer so it could be that he's stepped up a level in a years time and can hit the ground running in the national set-up.

16 hours ago, Cobra said:

We really do make defending look so difficult... 

14 hours ago, Valentke said:

media and tartan army darling scores a screamer but is clearly at fault for equaliser- still the fans at Hampden tonight could see him do no wrong. Incredible strike but Fraser was MOM from my seat. 

Robertson was quick to admit he lost his player for the equaliser, no excuse, the 2 Cypriot players worked the move well, causing Robertson to be blocked for just a couple of seconds, but that's enough (no-one on the far post, though :P). Did he get MoM?....I only saw highlights, but Fraser looked in good form, several great crosses, especially for Burke's goal.

We made a couple of other errors that could so easily have cost us the game....when McGinn gave the ball away & left 2-3 players moving in on goal, only a great edge-of-box tackle slowed them down. The other was in the 2nd half (maybe when it was 1-1?), and we left a huge gap in their 'inside right' position with Robertson left with 2 players & the CHs too central. Hopefully SC will be highlighting, and fixing, this asap.

Some decent players in that Cypriot side.

13 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I've been very vocal about O'Donnell but I get that there's not many other options so he can kinda be forgiven for taking a place. 

Brophy though!? Stop this nonsense right now. There's not a hope in hell he should be in a Scotland squad never mind first eleven. 

I don't think you'll need to worry about Brophy after this week, WW....he's had a great league season, but I agree he's not at the level of the national squad. He'll be a sub on Tuesday, I guess. I'm giving SC the benefit of doubt, though, just in the door & his first half-dozen striking options all injured....so as Harry suggests, he seems to have gone for familiarity with a player he trusts, for a specific task. I was trying to think of another striker option (Mikey Johnston?), but struggling. I'd have thought he might have used Stewart, though I suppose he was wanting someone to occupy the 2 CHs through the middle.