Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

With Nathan Ralph presumably leaving I was just looking at possible replacements.

First option for me would be luke Leahy but Aaron Taylor Sinclair, Stephen hendrie and Michael Kelly could be possibles too. 

Saying that there are loads of left backs down south. Saintees showed this in getting tanser. I'd love us to get another Matt Lockwood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unfortunate that the Player of the Year award seems to have increased the likelihood that Ralph will walk away, as the media, and no doubt his agent, are using it to talk him up.

I'd like to think there's a chance we could persuade him to stay but if there is genuine interest from the likes of Hull and Barnsley he could probably treble his wages quite easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cobra said:

It's unfortunate that the Player of the Year award seems to have increased the likelihood that Ralph will walk away, as the media, and no doubt his agent, are using it to talk him up.

I'd like to think there's a chance we could persuade him to stay but if there is genuine interest from the likes of Hull and Barnsley he could probably treble his wages quite easily.

Yeah think your right mate. Not holding out any hope. Whatever happens I wish the boy all the best, he has always talked very well when I’ve heard him and had a lot of respect for the club. Think he has the potential to have a good career at championship level down south or maybe higher. Has all the right attributes for a modern day full back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cobra said:

It's unfortunate that the Player of the Year award seems to have increased the likelihood that Ralph will walk away, as the media, and no doubt his agent, are using it to talk him up.

I'd like to think there's a chance we could persuade him to stay but if there is genuine interest from the likes of Hull and Barnsley he could probably treble his wages quite easily.

It is unfortunate that those awards, maybe moreso the players' award, are likely to raise his profile a bit, though I'd imagine his performance stats might also confirm he had a fairly sound & consistent season in a team that struggled.

Hull's manager resigned last week, so their reported interest might drop while they search for a new manager....I had a quick look at the media articles, incl both Hull/Barnsley local papers, and they're all based on a single 'source'....the scottish sun. I wonder what their source was?....probably the agency Ralph's with? It doesn't seem clear whether he's just open to listening to offers, or if he's actually made a decision & advised us that he's definitely not staying here.

I'd like to see McPake try to talk him into staying (on an improved deal, I guess), as he'd certainly be a regular starter, whereas Hull, for example, appear to be looking for 'cover', so he'd maybe not get so much game time. At 26, he's in the middle of his career, but whether money or game time would motivate him most is impossible to say. We're his 7th club incl loans, he's only played for 5 of them & probably more appearances for us than each of the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

It is unfortunate that those awards, maybe moreso the players' award, are likely to raise his profile a bit, though I'd imagine his performance stats might also confirm he had a fairly sound & consistent season in a team that struggled.

Hull's manager resigned last week, so their reported interest might drop while they search for a new manager....I had a quick look at the media articles, incl both Hull/Barnsley local papers, and they're all based on a single 'source'....the scottish sun. I wonder what their source was?....probably the agency Ralph's with? It doesn't seem clear whether he's just open to listening to offers, or if he's actually made a decision & advised us that he's definitely not staying here.

I'd like to see McPake try to talk him into staying (on an improved deal, I guess), as he'd certainly be a regular starter, whereas Hull, for example, appear to be looking for 'cover', so he'd maybe not get so much game time. At 26, he's in the middle of his career, but whether money or game time would motivate him most is impossible to say. We're his 7th club incl loans, he's only played for 5 of them & probably more appearances for us than each of the others.

If someone offers him £6,000 a week (easy when we're talking about championship clubs) money will always, rightly, overrule game time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

It doesn't seem clear whether he's just open to listening to offers, or if he's actually made a decision & advised us that he's definitely not staying here.

Definitely this^^^. It's entirely possible that Ralph is an honest laddie and is showing us a wee bit of respect by indicating that his intention is to invite offers for his services. Nothing wrong with that and it may be that he'll receive nothing that floats his boat and decide to see out his contract here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, petercaproni said:

Calum Watters who is with Kilmarnock and has been on loan in with a Irish club was in my opinion the best left back in the Championship/League one when he played at Alloa. I recommended him to Paul Hartley who did nothing and he was signed by Killie. He hasn't broken through but that is probably because Kilmarnock have the boy Taylor in that position who recently had a Scotland call up. Watters was outstanding at Alloa. Originally at Celtic he was capped at every level up to u/19. Would be a good signing for us. Also Elliot Frear at Motherwell who can play in any position on the left side would be a great option.He is out of contract at Fir Park. Just as a side note I think it is annoying when clubs don't even acknowledge a recommendation. It sometimes comeback to bite them. I also alerted the club to a left back at Queens Park long before clubs began sniffing around. His name was Andy Robertson!

I was thinking of him too actually with the Goodwin link so did a bit of research. Waters was just given a new contract a few months ago which was a bit of a surprise and Clarke was praising him a lot and insisted he be kept around after a good loan spell the year before. It very much seems like they are maybe planning for life without Taylor, maybe a situation that will change over the summer. I may be wrong but I think he was taken around a few top flight clubs, including ourselves with Hartley knowing him through Celtic links (we opted to sign Daniel Higgins a few months after), and no one offered a full-time deal; Alloa then took him (he played against us in the friendly Duffy scored) and when he was next available, we had Holt signed up then McCann come in and choose to add the much higher pedigree Spanish Jon as competition.

tbf to clubs on Robertson, his rise was a matter of weeks! Shankland, Connolly and Robertson were all promoted to the first team squad in August (Connolly a wee bit later) and had the whole of the country watching them with Rangers being in their division and then all the papers drumming up interest after very few games; United had also just taken Barry Douglas and Queen's Park had a youth side that had about 6 or 7 players in addition to those mentioned who had been picked from higher division clubs (still playing senior football) so I think people were very interested in their set-up. It's incredible how many professional footballers come through from there at a similar time, I don't think any club apart from the Old Firm could match how many players are still playing. IIRC Shankland was the big one people were interested in because he was a goalscorer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Garageflower said:

Ashley Cole spotted at Lidl

I'm buying that Aldi long mate.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Do we asda do this?

Just being co-operative mate.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Just being co-operative mate.

You’ve hit a new (William) low

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DarkBlueKnight said:

You’ve hit a new (William) low

McColl me out all you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Garageflower said:

Ashley Cole spotted at Lidl

It was Greggs Stewart that was spotted mate. 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

McColl me out all you want.

You’re an R S !

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

You’re an R S !

VG.👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rosco said:

It was Greggs Stewart that was spotted mate. 

Apparently it was in the Currant Bun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

VG.👏

 

5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Apparently it was in the Currant Bun.

Half baked story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

 

Half baked story

Gotta roll with it mate.😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t be loafing about this forum all day - I’ve work to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

I can’t be loafing about this forum all day - I’ve work to do

Gotta earn your dough I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Gotta earn your dough I suppose.

I Donut believe where we are going with this 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.