The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Lovejoy

Jordan McGhee

Rate this topic

Showing my utter lack of Scottish football knowledge these days - I'd never been aware of the lad until today.

Hope he turns out to be  a great signing.  

• Like 1

I have not been following McGhee's career. Why has this guy fallen so far where he was once tipped as being a cert for the English Premier and was supposedly being looked at by some Italian clubs? He goes on loan to Middlesborough and then ends up at Falkirk with Hearts seemingly having lost all interest in him, surely something must have drastically gone wrong along the way? Any answers.

Also a player who appears to be fit to play every week. Something else that we haven't enjoyed for some time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

I have not been following McGhee's career. Why has this guy fallen so far where he was once tipped as being a cert for the English Premier and was supposedly being looked at by some Italian clubs? He goes on loan to Middlesborough and then ends up at Falkirk with Hearts seemingly having lost all interest in him, surely something must have drastically gone wrong along the way? Any answers.

It's not uncommon for players to break through at a young age and make a big impression and fall away a bit. Jack Hendry was similar when he came to us he was a stand out but has struggled at Celtic. He has played a lot of games recently at the same level we'll be playing next season so I'm not concerned. Hopefully he can improve under JM and he can kick on and lead is back to the premier league. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

Have you been to Middlesbrough ??? Poor lad is probably still traumatised. :lol:

• Funny 4

Hemmings was a top prospect at Ibrox and ended up moving to Cowdenbeath. Sometimes a good player will take a step back to prove themselves as a regular at a lower level. Shankland left Aberdeen for Ayr and now he's joining Sunderland. I'm not too worried about McGhee going to Falkirk from Hearts. It seems to have been a good move for him.

• Like 1

Really pleased with this signing. There aren’t many 22 year olds out there with that many senior appearances under their belt (Cammy perhaps) 

Speaking to a Falkirk fan there. McGhee seemed to lose his way last season then came on to a game near the end, prob trying to win a deal elsewhere. Good central defender, can play right back too. Maybe a bit full of himself.

Reading between the lines, he lost interest under McKinnon. Maybe that's why Falkirk got in such a mess, players losing heart.

Whilst some of us are expecting floods of signings (Me Included) i am liking the patient approach where we appear to be targetting players in the mid to low twenties and building what is the potential for a sustainable future, if we could also add Byrne to this, we are beginning to march, if it comes together we will be a side to be reckoned with.

We do not need anymore journeymen looking for the finall transfer. For the first time in 3 seasons we might go to Brechin and look like a top class side and not be bullied off the park.  😂

• Like 3

Byrne was the guy who was sent off after 14 minutes in our 2-1 win at their place. Thought so, but double checked there.

6 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

Whilst some of us are expecting floods of signings (Me Included) i am liking the patient approach where we appear to be targetting players in the mid to low twenties and building what is the potential for a sustainable future, if we could also add Byrne to this, we are beginning to march, if it comes together we will be a side to be reckoned with.

We do not need anymore journeymen looking for the finall transfer. For the first time in 3 seasons we might go to Brechin and look like a top class side and not be bullied off the park.  😂

I hope you've not jinxed it mate. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

I hope you've not jinxed it mate. :ph34r:

Chomp, I did say "might" it was a sit on the fence comment, i will say no more 🤐

• Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

Doolan, Byrne, Marshall & Ness and I think we'll be looking quite good. I've a feeling that the Vincent rumours might have some legs too, he's a known quantity to McPake and should come relatively cheap on a 1yr deal. He's just played 30 odd games for Dunfermline and could provide a decent bit of back-up.

• Wowzer 1

11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I've a feeling that the Vincent rumours might have some legs 

More than Vincent has himself!

4 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

More than Vincent has himself!

He's played around 300 career games. 26 last season for Dunfermline (Wiki). As a squad filler I feel we could do a lot worse.

58 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

He's played around 300 career games. 26 last season for Dunfermline (Wiki). As a squad filler I feel we could do a lot worse.

I know what you're saying. However, there is something that doesn't  sit right about it with me. The summer signings of Vincent, Williams, El Bak etc were a killer that we couldn't recover from and we've nose dived ever since. Although it is absolutely no fault of Vincent's, his signing, along with Williams and El Bak etc have hindered us massively over 3 miserable years. The failure of that summer window is probably, in a number of ways, contributory to us being where we are now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

I know what you're saying. However, there is something that doesn't  sit right about it with me. The summer signings of Vincent, Williams, El Bak etc were a killer that we couldn't recover from and we've nose dived ever since. Although it is absolutely no fault of Vincent's, his signing, along with Williams and El Bak etc have hindered us massively over 3 miserable years. The failure of that summer window is probably, in a number of ways, contributory to us being where we are now. 

Vincent was originally signed for the top league with reports of high expenditure, a long term deal and on the back of a Scottish cup winning goal. He was expected to be a fixture in our first team long term. If we're now talking low budget, short term, squad filler then I personally think we could do worse. We could gamble on an unknown or we could go with what we know.

It's all hypothetical at this stage though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Have you been to Middlesbrough ??? Poor lad is probably still traumatised. :lol:

I was in Yorkshire for a few years but never in Middlesborough. I have heard it is a drab place. Thanks for the answers. Young players do seem to lose their way from time to time only to rediscover their form at another club. Let us hope that this is the way it will be for McGhee at Dens.

• Like 1

I know we've got a terrible habit of signing former Dees but Vincent would be the first time I think we've re-signed a player who was rubbish the first time around.

Hopefully it's not true and he signs for someone else. It won't be Dunfermline though because he was rotten last season.

I'd much rather bring back Mr Versatility Jim Mac but I think he's tied down for next season at Morton.

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Doolan, Byrne, Marshall & Ness and I think we'll be looking quite good. I've a feeling that the Vincent rumours might have some legs too, he's a known quantity to McPake and should come relatively cheap on a 1yr deal. He's just played 30 odd games for Dunfermline and could provide a decent bit of back-up.

You seem surprised @Billy Campbell's Ghost

We said "Vincent is bound to be useful as he won the Scottish Cup with ICT", ignoring the fact that he struggled to get in the ICT team. Dunfermline thought "Vincent is bound to be useful as he has top flight experience with Dundee", ignoring the fact that he was part of a powderpuff midfield that lost 7-0 at home to Aberdeen and came within a whisker of relegation.

Now we're saying "Vincent is bound to be useful as he played 30 games for Dunfermline", ignoring the fact that the Pars would have got relegated if the season was a couple of games longer as they were in freefall.

Vincent is a genius. He left non-league football in England and has had a decent career at a fairly high level in Scotland without ever being particularly good. Getting a fourth year at Dens would surely be his greatest feat yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFC1974 said:

Maybe best just not signing anyone in case they turn out a bit crap. 

By all means, concentrate on the crap players we've signed in the past, I prefer to remember the Nathan Ralph's we've signed.

14 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Maybe best just not signing anyone in case they turn out a bit crap. 

By all means, concentrate on the crap players we've signed in the past, I prefer to remember the Nathan Ralph's we've signed.

Sorry Chomp, I've completely missed your point here, I think.

I'm not saying not to sign anyone in case they are crap, I'm saying why would we sign someone who has already been crap for us? 

While I would like us to concentrate on signing players like Ralph etc, the discussion surrounded the rumour we are re-signing James Vincent - hence the reason I was talking about James Vincent.🤔