The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Alf Resco

Lyall Cameron

Rate this topic

Based on his performance v. Brechin, a wee player with a very big future (imo).

• Like 2

Gordon Strachan coming in must help with his development 

Was really impressed with the lad yesterday, think we have a wee gem there.

Edited by Abernethy Dee
  • Like 1

There is something hugely satisfying about the club producing our own quality players. Hopefully this lad makes the first team on a regular basis and heralds a new era of the Dee producing talent like Wilkie, Gav Rae, McDonald and Robertson.

What makes it even sweeter is the fact that he was released by the DABS a few years ago. 

• Like 2

I hate it when kids get over hyped or lumbered with extra pressure at a young age. This lad certainly deserved praise for his performance yesterday though. The standout player yesterday for me. Hopefully he's an old head on young shoulders, takes it all in his stride and goes on to be a wee Dee star.

I've never seen Cameron but have heard a lot about him at youth level. Seems to be a very promising player who has the talent.

Only issue and quite a big one is how small he is? Do you think this could be a problem? 

Out of the current youths who r part of the first team (just now) who is considered the best aka the star player? 

Moore has been involved previously and a few others on the last game against St mirren.

19 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I've never seen Cameron but have heard a lot about him at youth level. Seems to be a very promising player who has the talent.

Only issue and quite a big one is how small he is? Do you think this could be a problem? 

Out of the current youths who r part of the first team (just now) who is considered the best aka the star player? 

Moore has been involved previously and a few others on the last game against St mirren.

I was impressed with Robertson v St Mirren, Cameron took things up a notch yesterday I thought though. Maybe because he was playing in an attacking area of the pitch and we had almost all of the ball.

25 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

Size really an issue dont think Messi is that tall

1 minute ago, Sinkie said:

He doesn't play in Scotland though.

28 minutes ago, Sinkie said:

Can't remember who said it but I recently read something by a top player. It was along the lines of 'if you're small then you had better be very good', and I thought that was interesting.

It made me think that maybe Strachan had a point after all in saying Griffiths lacked the height for international football. I think GS is of the mindset that unless you are a truly world class player like Messi, or Strachan himself, a lack of stature is a bit of a problem at a certain level.

Thinking back to my time playing, while I was more talented than most and quite aggressive, my lack of stature definitely was a hindrance and I simply lacked the ingenuity to compensate.

When I watch Messi it's extraordinary to see the things he does to make his lack of height irrelevant. Defenders don't get a chance to use their physical advantage because his brain and feet work so quickly.

Cameron is off to to Spain so obviously in McPake's immediate plans. No idea how many are away but imagine it will be carefully budgeted.

As much as I enjoyed Cameron's display yesterday, I was really taken with Robertson. Boy looks a class act.

8 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

As much as I enjoyed Cameron's display yesterday, I was really taken with Robertson. Boy looks a class act.

This ! Thought he was excellent, wanted the ball all the time, very composed as well, 😎😎

7 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

In my time watching Dundee, this is no doubt the best batch of youth players we've had coming through by far.

We've always had a few coming through and looking promising but now, it seems like almost every player who is coming up has a brilliant level of technical ability.

Tough road for all of them but if that's the standard going forward, I think we've got a great chance of seeing a few doing well for themselves.

• Like 2

In JMP's post match interview (I'm signed up again!), he said that he was going to play Cameron at some stage in the St Mirren game but events too over. He also said he thought the boy was going to score with his chance late on yesterday.

Edited by Dondeh

Any wonder the batch of youths coming threw are being given a chance considering they have been looked after by... the current manager. Promotion within. Liverpool boot room style. 

• Star Post 2

1 hour ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I've watched the youths quite a few times and lyall, Finn and Josh are the real standouts as evidenced by their call ups to the Scottish schools team. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

He doesn't play in Scotland though.

Even if he was playing in Scotland he would still be a standout.

18 hours ago, Sinkie said:

I’m with you! (that won’t  surprise those that know me)

Scott Brown, James Forrest, Ryan Fraser. None of them are giants and have done just fine. 

Gan yerself wee man!