The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Den Spark

Yellow Perils

Rate this topic

I see the traffic wardens were out in force in Maryatt Street tonight. 10 cars ticketed while the match was underway. A bit of overtime, perhaps? Wonder how many other streets in Dundee were patrolled tonight?

Nothing to do with clearing obstructions, all about making money. And no, one of the cars wasn't mine.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

I see the traffic wardens were out in force in Maryatt Street tonight. 10 cars ticketed while the match was underway. A bit of overtime, perhaps? Wonder how many other streets in Dundee were patrolled tonight?

Nothing to do with clearing obstructions, all about making money. And no, one of the cars wasn't mine.

See loads of cars getting tickets on matchday, particularly the street between Provie Rd and Caird Ave, not sure if that's the street you're on about.

14 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

People shouldn't park illegally then they won't get tickets. It's about everyone's safety not the convenience of people going to Dens. If people stop doing it these people will stop going there to bag the easy money.

• Like 7
  • Star Post 2

3 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

People shouldn't park illegally then they won't get tickets. It's about everyone's safety not the convenience of people going to Dens. If people stop doing it these people will stop going there to bag the easy money.

I don't wish misery on people but walked past and observed plenty of no stopping markers and was thinking of it at the time with some cars even parallel parking between the cones. I get that people want to park close but the council have a job to do and have had the residents complain about this issue for years.

• Like 2

It's not overtime, they're contracted to 10pm nowadays although it only seems to be enforced on match days. 

8 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Yup, I'm guessing they're reacting to residents complaints instead of seeing it as low hanging fruit.

The thing is, they claim the cars are causing an obstruction, but they never remove the obstruction, they just stick a bit of paper on the windscreen. How does that help the residents who can't park near their houses?

It might deter those who received a ticket last night, but come next match day, a new batch will take their place.

I saw numerous instances of dodgy parking on my way home last night, but none had been ticketed, just the streets around Dens.

I'm going to stop there. I'm beginning to sound like Islay. 😧

• Funny 2

34 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

Not possible surely? Unless you're going to put in an objection to Dundee FC's plans to play league games at Dens Park this season on the grounds that there is limited street parking available in the area?

1 hour ago, Den Spark said:

The thing is, they claim the cars are causing an obstruction, but they never remove the obstruction, they just stick a bit of paper on the windscreen. How does that help the residents who can't park near their houses?

It might deter those who received a ticket last night, but come next match day, a new batch will take their place.

I saw numerous instances of dodgy parking on my way home last night, but none had been ticketed, just the streets around Dens.

Submit a freedom of information request 😎

The blanket closing off of streets for parking around the stadium for games such as tuesday and most of the games we will play this season is just plain daft. Why the area outside the Dump on Tannadump St is coned off down at the Arkley St. end together with Isla St., Fairbairn St., etc is beyond me other than to collect fines from folk daft enough to park there. It seems that closing off as many streets as they do puts the pressure on slightly farther away streets causing congestion, poor parking and more fines. I am convinced that it IS a money making exercise and like a previous poster would state that I have never been ticketed yet. Do residents have special parking arrangements? I've often wondered about someone leaving a car in the area that gets the cones put out on match days. I know that advance notice is given but it is not beyond possibility that a game e.g a replay can be arranged with a week to 10 days notice while somebody's car is parked outside their own house in an are normally used, while they are away. Big games no doubt require larger areas cleared for buses etc. Finally some of the cars parked ludicrously have blue badges on them but the police never seem to do anything about this. Of course the Disabled require suitable arrangements but is it a common fallacy that blue badges allow parking anywhere including yellow lines. You can only do so if the car does not cause an obstruction, if it is safe to do so and never within 15m of a junction or on pavements. These laws are flouted all the time but the police and wardens never seem to do anything about it.

Money making exercise - Hell Yes!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, troodee1893 said:

The blanket closing off of streets for parking around the stadium for games such as tuesday and most of the games we will play this season is just plain daft. Why the area outside the Dump on Tannadump St is coned off down at the Arkley St. end together with Isla St., Fairbairn St., etc is beyond me other than to collect fines from folk daft enough to park there. It seems that closing off as many streets as they do puts the pressure on slightly farther away streets causing congestion, poor parking and more fines. I am convinced that it IS a money making exercise and like a previous poster would state that I have never been ticketed yet. Do residents have special parking arrangements? I've often wondered about someone leaving a car in the area that gets the cones put out on match days. I know that advance notice is given but it is not beyond possibility that a game e.g a replay can be arranged with a week to 10 days notice while somebody's car is parked outside their own house in an are normally used, while they are away. Big games no doubt require larger areas cleared for buses etc. Finally some of the cars parked ludicrously have blue badges on them but the police never seem to do anything about this. Of course the Disabled require suitable arrangements but is it a common fallacy that blue badges allow parking anywhere including yellow lines. You can only do so if the car does not cause an obstruction, if it is safe to do so and never within 15m of a junction or on pavements. These laws are flouted all the time but the police and wardens never seem to do anything about it.

Walking along Marryat St after the game, I saw most had tickets but several didn't. Don't know if they were residents who had permission or only those who parked beside a cone.  Don't really have sympathy. Most turn up and have a 5 minute or so walk. Others like to turn up and cheekily park on the pavement virtually at the door. On the way in I saw a couple of lads park their car but move a cone beside another car. 

In the 1980s (when Aberdeen were a good side) I had a flat near to Pittodrie and on a match day I would never think of driving the car away from the street then expect to be able to park there later on. So it was a case of either getting a bus into the city centre or walking. Unless you have your own driveway you cannot expect to be able to park right outside your house at any time of day.

3 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

A good case made for the big stadium carpark at the Noo Campy  👍  ;)  

It's just a money making exercise fir the council... When I lived up in menzieshill just across from the community center you very rarely saw a traffic warden at the weekend.. But anytime there was a big event on they were out mob handed ticketing everything in sight They know full well there ain't enough spaces yet don't give a f**k. 

41 minutes ago, charliedee said:

They know full well there ain't enough spaces yet don't give a f**k. 

As do the folk parking their cars illegally. There is plenty of public transport available. 

• Like 1

Have took my car to Dens for about 90 percent of home games for well over a decade. Have never once parked on double yellows or anywhere where there's police cones so have funnily enough never received a ticket.

Means I've got a 5 to 10 minute walk to the ground but also means I'm not parked like an @rsehole on double yellows on the corner of a road blocking other drivers views which happens where I live daily making my street a dangerous blind corner exit daily for me.

Double yellows are on the corners of most streets for a reason. No sympathy whatsoever. 

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 4

If anyone is looking for a guaranteed parking space only 5 mins away, the car park at the old Fit4less in the Hilltown has plenty of spaces with quite a few supporters already parking there currently. 

Saves you looking for a space or parking like a tit on the roads beside Dens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charliedee said:

It's just a money making exercise fir the council... When I lived up in menzieshill just across from the community center you very rarely saw a traffic warden at the weekend.. But anytime there was a big event on they were out mob handed ticketing everything in sight They know full well there ain't enough spaces yet don't give a f**k. 

Sorry, I don't buy into the 'not enough spaces' stuff. If there's not enough spaces you go early or park further away, it's a bit self absorbed to assume that somehow YOU are entitled to a space just because YOU want one and are too lazy to park further away.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rosco said:

If anyone is looking for a guaranteed parking space only 5 mins away, the car park at the old Fit4less in the Hilltown has plenty of spaces with quite a few supporters already parking there currently. 

Saves you looking for a space or parking like a tit on the roads beside Dens. 

This. Parked there for years now when sitting in the Derry. If in the main stand then either cleppy road or sometimes even old glamis road if late