The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
DBDU

Whats Still Required ?

Rate this topic

As the start of the season draws closer what do we require to mount a serious title challenge ?

I haven't seen any of the pre season games as yet for various reasons so maybe others will know better than me  but on paper I  have been impressed with the signings so far and think the manager & BOD deserve credit for the way they have recruited post relegation .

That being said my personal opinion is if we are seriously going to mount a challenge for the title and get back up at first time of asking then  , as a minimum , we need at least 1 quality proven striker and a good goalkeeper added to our squad  .

I hope the lad goes on to prove me wrong if given the nod as our No1 but I simply do not see us winning the title with Hamilton as our 1st choice keeper in fact id go as far as saying we have no chance .

Likewise if we are looking across the street to our neighbours striking options then in all honesty  Craig Curran wouldn't start ahead of at least 3 of United forwards  which tells its own story in terms of the lack of quality we have in that department aside from Nelson ! 

I just hope JMcP has a few aces up his sleeve ahead of the big kick off and can add strength and quality to these two areas that desperately need it !

Edited by DBDU

For me, I'd like another 'keeper but I don't think it'll be as disastrous as you reckon and it's lowest priority for me right now. Letheren come on a great deal but he was very ropey aerially and flogged a fair few goals over the course over the entirety of the season, I think he did improve a lot with us though but we definitely could have had someone much better but we put our resources into the right places that year and it paid off. Hamilton has not really delivered so far but I think his lack of ability has been exaggerated a great deal tbh, get a steady defence behind him and be well organised and that will take a bit of the pressure off, just like it did for a period of his season in the top flight when McIntyre come in.

Target Man Striker

I know Craig Curran is derided but when Nelson has been on form, Curran has played a pretty essential role to all his goalscoring exploits. His goal at Tynecastle come from Curran charging down the flank and his work rate getting the better of the Hearts defence and then leaving Nelson the space to do the business. Against Killie, Curran was fighting for everything in the air and won a ball which he really had no right to against Scott Boyd (who is a good physical centre back) which provided the first; the second was a great individual effort but Curran's work rate and off the ball positioning had Broadfoot preoccupied and that provided Nelson with enough space to do his magic.

I think Nelson thrives too much off a target man to disregard the importance of Curran IMO and I could see the goals drying up if Curran ends up out and we don't replace him or play him with someone who is quite similar (which I think is the bigger risk tbh). We could sign someone a bit different from Curran (I'd take the same with goals!) but I think it's going to be really important to have someone who is more back to goal and has a really high work rate.

Poacher Striker

The term maybe does Nelson a disservice as I think he's more than just a poacher but we need someone similar to his style of play to come in when he's injured. Rudden would fit the bill from how he's been described.

Winger

We only have two signed up as senior players and then there's a consensus from his previous clubs that Todd is actually better inside so it's maybe the case that he isn't natural. If one of them gets injured, we've either got to rely on young Mulligan or play a narrow formation.

Centre Back

We have Forster, Meekings, Davies and McGhee here. Meekings has a very long injury history and we've not seen Davies yet, Forster also previously struggled early in his career. It's very conceivable that a couple of injuries could happen here very quickly into the season and see us struggle.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, harry94 said:

get a steady defence behind him 

Unorthodox Harry but could be a plan!

• Funny 3

I still think we’re 4/5 players short. 

2 forward players / strikers 

left midfielder winger

left back

and if needed: creative attacking midfielder (possibly Todd or McGowan could play this role so not essential if other positions are filled)

Was impressed with young Fin Robertson last night and could see him as an essential squad player for this season so that to me is like another signing for this season.

• Like 1

Just now, DarkBlueKnight said:

Unorthodox Harry but could be a plan!

Kick the ball in the goal more times than the opposition and we'll be grand IMO

4 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Kick the ball in the goal more times than the opposition and we'll be grand IMO

Preferably not our own goal right enough 

Think for the first time in years we have a pretty good spine.

Hamilton was very good last night and will surely improve with a settled defence.

Forster, Meekings and McGhee. Any 2 from 3 look miles better than last year.

Byrne and Ness. Strong and physical. Some really clever passes especially from Ness .

Nelson. Should score a good number given the service.

Just need to fill in the blanks!

Its farcical that we are 3 days from the season starting and we are at least 5 players short. Another winger, 2 strikers and another LB must be priority 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Its farcical that we are 3 days from the season starting and we are at least 5 players short. Another winger, 2 strikers and another LB must be priority 

Remember that the Betfred cup games have basically become the new pre-season games. We're still searching for match fitness, trying out new players and new formations and topping up our squad numbers. We can still have a poor result and progress in the cup. 

• Like 4

Leagues priority for me this year.. as long as we have all our cards in the deck by 2nd August, that’s when the real season begins.. cup run would be nice but we’ve been pish in the league cup for a while now and I’m not expecting much difference this season tbh.. 

just getting the excuses in early ya know 🤪 cough..

• Funny 1

49 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Its farcical that we are 3 days from the season starting

It's farcical we're taking part in this charade of a 'cup'. 

I think McGhee will cover left back if marshall is out. 

I think we need a right midfielder and a striker at the very least. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I think McGhee will cover left back if marshall is out. 

I think we need a right midfielder and a striker at the very least. 

Agree with all that S. Imagine we’d be looking at another CH too if Davies isn’t staying 

• Like 1

I'd agree at least five players as the squad is so thin, decent starting 15 but we need a bit of depth when injuries kick in, if we only have room for three I'd pick two more strikers and a midfielder. I'm thinking were a good bit short of cruising this league but if we can hang in there until Christmas and strengthen again we've a fair chance of being there at the end. Playoff's are definitely achievable. 

3 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

It's farcical we're taking part in this charade of a 'cup'. 

its the league cup nothing of a charade about it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, charliedee said:

its the league cup nothing of a charade about it.

Apart from it being absolutely tinpot and glorified friendlies.

50 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Apart from it being absolutely tinpot and glorified friendlies.

You won't be saying that when we're in the final. ;)

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, Derrygunner said:

Leagues priority for me this year.. as long as we have all our cards in the deck by 2nd August, that’s when the real season begins.. cup run would be nice but we’ve been pish in the league cup for a while now and I’m not expecting much difference this season tbh.. 

just getting the excuses in early ya know 🤪 cough..

Sounds a bit like last season's excuses.

Although most folk then extended that until the end of the transfer window. So this season doesn't really start until 3rd September - plenty time 😀 

Edited by Dondeh
  • Funny 1

Of course the league is massive compared to the league cup, but decent solid performances in these upcoming 4 games is what’s needed to take into the league campaign...

Plus the fact if we get to last 16, a decent payday could await, where another player could be signed on the back of it.

Think there will be close on 2000 through on Saturday, I genuinely can’t wait to see these new players and a couple of youngsters.

Roll on Saturday....

Edited by Mr Sensible
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Of course the league is massive compared to the league cup, but decent solid performances in these upcoming 4 games is what’s needed to take into the league campaign...

Plus the fact if we get to last 16, a decent payday could await, where another player could be signed on the back of it.

Think there will be close on 2000 through on Saturday, I genuinely can’t wait to see these new players and a couple of youngsters.

Roll on Saturday....

And I guess being the cup we get a share of the gate money so the more the merrier.