The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Should we play our youngsters and reserves in this cup to concentrate on the bigger prizes/picture? The first two rounds that we are in are free/international weekends but the remainder are on Saturdays which would involve the postponement of our league games at ICT and at home to Partick and QOS (pushing yet more league/season ticket matches away from Saturdays). The latter two home games, which would assume going all the way to the final, would not be imo best played in a fixture pile up. My opinion is that we should not play first team players or any likely to get injured again and state from the outset that we will play fringe players letting the fans know what to expect.

• Like 2

Play the kids and any firmer Dee-Lites we still have contact details of in both this and the League Cup. 

I suspect we'll play Moore and all the rest of the young team.

Gents, this is the time to use the big boys to help them gel as a unit, we need to hit the league season at full pelt. 

2 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Gents, this is the time to use the big boys to help them gel as a unit, we need to hit the league season at full pelt. 

Troodee's referring to the 'Tunnocks Challenge Cup' (the real mickey mouse one), and not the Betfred League Cup, I believe.

I'd absolutely agree that we need to use the LC group to get the team ready for the opening Championship games.

...but I'd be absolutely fine if McPake decides to use the Challenge Cup to give the rest of his squad & the kids he feels ready for first team duty, competitive game time. I've not seen any confirmation yet, but I was under the impression the club said some weeks ago that we won't be entering a team in the Reserve League this season, so the Challenge Cup seems the obvious alternative to giving these lads more experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

Troodee's referring to the 'Tunnocks Challenge Cup' (the real mickey mouse one), and not the Betfred League Cup, I believe.

I'd absolutely agree that we need to use the LC group to get the team ready for the opening Championship games.

...but I'd be absolutely fine if McPake decides to use the Challenge Cup to give the rest of his squad & the kids he feels ready for first team duty, competitive game time. I've not seen any confirmation yet, but I was under the impression the club said some weeks ago that we won't be entering a team in the Reserve League this season, so the Challenge Cup seems the obvious alternative to giving these lads more experience.

I've no problem blooding the youngsters in the Challenge Cup but if they do well then I would hope that we'd be taking it more seriously if we started to be successful. Winning it was a bit of a morale boost.

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

I've no problem blooding the youngsters in the Challenge Cup but if they do well then I would hope that we'd be taking it more seriously if we started to be successful. Winning it was a bit of a morale boost.

It was, especially the way we came from behind at HT to beat ICT, a team we were never confident playing.

However, if we're not entering the Reserve League, this is the only competitive competition where we can test young guys, or bring back injured players. I think it's been devalued in recent years, with the 'colts' teams & the foreign teams invited to participate. JMcP might decide to use bounce games though, if he wants to have a serious go at winning the lifetime supply of Tunnock's Caramel Wafers.

15 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

It was, especially the way we came from behind at HT to beat ICT, a team we were never confident playing.

However, if we're not entering the Reserve League, this is the only competitive competition where we can test young guys, or bring back injured players. I think it's been devalued in recent years, with the 'colts' teams & the foreign teams invited to participate. JMcP might decide to use bounce games though, if he wants to have a serious go at winning the lifetime supply of Tunnock's Caramel Wafers.

Not trying to be contrary for the sake of it but our season actually fell apart after that cup win. It was a good day though. 

7 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

Should we play our youngsters and reserves in this cup to concentrate on the bigger prizes/picture? The first two rounds that we are in are free/international weekends but the remainder are on Saturdays which would involve the postponement of our league games at ICT and at home to Partick and QOS (pushing yet more league/season ticket matches away from Saturdays). The latter two home games, which would assume going all the way to the final, would not be imo best played in a fixture pile up. My opinion is that we should not play first team players or any likely to get injured again and state from the outset that we will play fringe players letting the fans know what to expect.

It's a tough one really. In an ideal world we'd be resting our starting 11 and playing a mixture of first team subs and youth players. Would imagine the likes of Ferrie and Robertson would play from the start. I quite like the idea of winning a cup, even a chocolate covered one, so hopefully by the time it comes around we'll have another 4/5 first team players on our books. Winning it last season didn't do Ross County any harm and for all we know it helped them push on for the league. Plus I'd be up for a wee trip down to Wales or England if we got drawn against one of those teams. 

31 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Not trying to be contrary for the sake of it but our season actually fell apart after that cup win. It was a good day though. 

It was a fecking marvellous day, the only fly in the ointment being my Ingerlish team getting pumped rotten by Spurs. I won about a hundred and twenty quid on an accumulator which more than covered my rearranged travel back down to Lahdarn tarn (including Spurs to beat Wigan). Ah.... halcyon days.....

• Like 1

If we are serious about blooding youth then we 100% have to play the youth team in this cup. Only chance our youth team get to play competitive football against men. Also, playing our first team against a St Mirren Colts team for example would be a bit of an embarrassment.

Personally was never interested in this cup when we were down before. I think even fans of smaller teams find it a bit of a joke now with colts and non league England teams etc. playing in it.

13 hours ago, barkblue said:

I thought it was more that ICT 'woke up' after that & Butcher took them on a lengthy unbeaten run, while we drew too many of our games.

I'd have swapped that 'great day' for promotion.

• Like 1

I want Dundee to always try win. Imagine pumping United in the final And Winning the league. 

• Like 1

I think we'll see the likes of Robertson,  Mulligan etc at times in the first team. This competition though is ideal for them to gain experience against experienced players.

7 hours ago, WoodStein said:

I thought it was more that ICT 'woke up' after that & Butcher took them on a lengthy unbeaten run, while we drew too many of our games.

I'd have swapped that 'great day' for promotion.

Aye, that's a fair assessment WoodStein. I was just trying to (in my own special killjoy kind of way) illustrate that last time we won it, it did nothing for out short term confidence or form.

I'd happily go out in the first round of every cup this season if it meant winning the league. 🙂 

Worthless tournament  in my opinion. Play players who wouldn't normally play. As our squad stands it is far too small to be doing anything else.

On 12/07/2019 at 10:26, Edin_Dee said:

If we are serious about blooding youth then we 100% have to play the youth team in this cup. Only chance our youth team get to play competitive football against men. Also, playing our first team against a St Mirren Colts team for example would be a bit of an embarrassment.

Personally was never interested in this cup when we were down before. I think even fans of smaller teams find it a bit of a joke now with colts and non league England teams etc. playing in it.

Two seasons ago our Under 20 team were drawn at home against Alloa. We lost 2-4 but if we had beaten Alloa our Under 20 team would have played the Dabs at Tannadice in the next round.