The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Just watching the St Mirren v Dunfermline game and realised I don't like the design of the ball they are using.. crappy yellow... I remember the early 70's when balls were the classic white with maybe black polka dots.. I think those were my fav ball design.. also, when it was snowing.. (these are the days before matches were called off when there's a millimetre of frost) they used to break out a bright orange ball...or am I just talking balls?

• Like 1

And they were made of heavy leather back then too; didn't stay white for long either.

The dayglo orange balls were an insult to all right thinking football fans.

17 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

And they were made of heavy leather back then too; didn't stay white for long either.

The dayglo orange balls were an insult to all right thinking football fans.

But have you got your season ticket yet mate? 🤷‍♂️

#justasking

10 minutes ago, dblair said:

But have you got your season ticket yet mate? 🤷‍♂️

#justasking

No

7 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

No

spacer.png

1 minute ago, dblair said:

spacer.png

Will be paying at the gate, just missed too many last season and the way it looks Saturday afternoon kick offs will be rarer than United goals from the penalty spot.

• Like 1

Back on topic(ish) - what about the plastic Mitres that we used at school. When you got hit in the pus with one of them you stayed hit in the pus.

• Like 1

Just now, Prince Buster said:

Back on topic(ish) - what about the plastic Mitres that we used at school. When you got hit in the pus with one of them you stayed hit in the pus.

When only the bravest would be up for heading a up and under from the keeper and immediately regret it 🙈

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Freezing saurday mornings, rhyme hovering above the rock-hard pitch, getting thumped by Lawside, sliding 'block tackle' to stop a fierce goal-bound shot with the top/inside of your near-blue thigh....oya, oya, oya, oya wee 🤬 .....you could still see the imprint of the mitre's wee dimples on your leg at the end of the game. Worse than ten o' the belt on frozen hands after a playground snowball fight.   

Good 'grounding' for a career in the amateur leagues, though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Ahhhh the good old Mitre mouldmasters.........spot on PB when they smacked yer pus it stayed smacked,also winter time toe bashers fae the unskilled lads in the class and the stinging feeling on yer bare legs......brutal.

Edited by thegen65
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Was brilliant when (somebody else, preferably) took one anywhere really and it was smack bang on the 'MITRE' bit of the ball and it left them emblazoned with it for a good 15 minutes. 

7 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

It was the smack in the thigh that did me....wooof....bloody  sair with a red mark for days.

I don't know if there was any specific reason for it, but I do recall brown balls being used in some games in England but not up in Scotland.   My personal favourite was the all-white Mitre.

16 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

If it was cold and you got hit on the leg with a mitre that was  a real stinger. The mitres at Kirkton were like sandpaper. How pros now can't get past the front post with a corner using the balloons  they use now is  beyond me.

• Funny 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Parcbara said:

If it was cold and you got hit on the leg with a mitre that was  a real stinger. The mitres at Kirkton were like sandpaper. How pros now can't get past the front post with a corner using the balloons  they use now is  beyond me.

We did field at Riverside in the winter and a wallop from a Mouldmaster just added to the pain of a skinny wee laddie fae Charleston

They never seemed to be fully inflated either.

8 hours ago, Parcbara said:

It also seemed worse if it caught you through the nylon shorts we used to wear for PE at school, it hurt yer supposed mates as well as they always seemed doubled up when it happened. 😂

What about the leather ‘tubs’ that we used in the early 1960’s and they weighed a ton when they got wet. 

Dubbin and wintergreen,jotters for shinnies,cheengin ootside in January,cotton taps that weighed a ton when soaked.................😁

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, GSD said:

Dubbin and wintergreen,jotters for shinnies,cheengin ootside in January,cotton taps that weighed a ton when soaked.................😁

Now .... That eh can easily relate to GSD:chaplin:

Eh wis a bit short in the "skill department" but eh had a guid left fut & speed on meh side, so they stuck me on the left wing.

But in those days eh carried very little weight or/& muscle (skin & bone really) So if the rain came on & ptich really got heavy,

THEN BASICALLY EH COULNDNAE MOVE :wacko:

Certainly brings back fun memories. EVERTHING IN THEM DAYS, WAS  EITHER, HOME-MADE... OR BOUGHT, TO LAST FOREVER.

There wis never nae light-weight stuff aroond meh mither & dads hoose Being the youngest at that time eh got the hand-me doons.

Eh mind, asking meh mum if eh could get fitba boots for skale team (Tough times for near awebody then...it wisnae gonna happen)

Meh Grannie (Auntie) heard aboot meh plight & thought she were doin a guid turn, by buying me...A Pair o' Tackity Boots oot Coopy.

Wi' them on, I really couldnae move, whitever the weather wis like !!   Money wid hae been better spent on decent swimming trunks.

In them days, if/when money was short, it was either a case o' goin' swimmin' naked or wear the home-knitted kind yir granny made.

In truth it didnae make any difference whether you went public swimming naked or wore the wooly ains...Result ended up the same.

Once in watter got intae the Wooly Trunks, there was only one place in the watter they were gonna end up. BOTTOM O' THE POOL:jawdrop:

(Apologies for going off-topic):chaplin:

13 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

What about the leather ‘tubs’ that we used in the early 1960’s and they weighed a ton when they got wet. 

They certainly did. And if you headed the lace you knew about it. Saying  that, I got a T panel one Christmas and loved it.