The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Dondeh

Cove Rangers V Dundee 17th July 2019

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Having listened to the DeeTV audio commentary last night, I knew we'd had enough chances to win, but with 60+% possession still struggled to dominate the game. I watched the post-match interviews & highlights this morning, and started to watch the full-match replay....but like GeDee, found it heavy going....as I suspect did the players.

The commentators had mentioned the heavy rain all day & that the pitch (even being plastic) seemed 'heavy', and was certainly slow. I lived a couple of hundred yards along the road north of the stadium for 5 years....it wasn't called Redmoss Road for nothing, that area is a big peat bog on top of clay, hence the two lochs & boggy ground (which I think caused AFC to change location for their stadium). Knowing it was a plastic pitch, it actually looked like long, thick, heavy grass on the TV, presumably loads of pellets & water lying under it. The ball seemed to be played mainly in the air, I'm guessing the surface was a bit slow for a slick passing game?

We had enough good chances, Gowser deserved a goal for great positioning & a perfectly placed header down into the corner, but a bounce took it onto the inside of the post. Mulligan's header late in the game wasn't so easy to see with no 'zoom' replay, but apparently a bad miss. I know JMcP left out Todd & McDaid due to the narrow pitch, but we looked like this removed good options for wide passes & crosses, until he changed it on the hour.

It's not a good result, but it's not a disaster...Cove have been Div.2 standard for several years, maybe even Div.1, regularly thrashing Highland clubs, but unlucky with the playoff semis against Lowland/Central sides. They've been used to winning most of their games, and very well organised by Sheran, before he had to step down this summer. The way Cove demolished Berwick in the playoffs was as good as Ayr's recent 7-0 win & Dunfermline's similar hiding of Albion Rovers (who only avoided being in Berwick's shoes thanks to a bizarre SFA/SPFL points award), they're no wee hick heilan' outfit. 

The centre of the park, especially around the Cove box, was congested, and it surprised me that we weren't taking more shots from outside the box...a lot of passes/crosses went into a crowded box, which we didn't dominate.

In the end, we have 2 points instead of 3, top the group on GD, and now have two home games on a big, first class surface. Those games are far more a test of our readiness for the Championship season....and we can still finish as one of the top 4 qualifiers, to get a seeded draw. 

Unmistakeable, though, is the need for at least one good, fast, striking option with a habit of scoring regularly.

My son plays on a lot of artificial pitches here in Norway and they are all in various states of wear and tear. The club he plays for had a new pitch installed last year and it was initially very "springy" with a thick layer of rubber granulate that hadn't settled yet. Slick passing was difficult and the ball had a tendency to "sit up" when bouncing. I saw this yesterday when a long ball didn't carry through to Jack Hamilton. Not excusing yesterday's performance as both teams have to play on the same surface.

I thought our 2 centre halfs were solid and Marshall decent in the first half. Nelson should have scored a couple but buzzed about quite well. 

Todd and Mulligan did fine too when they came on.

It is hard to break down a team with so many behind the ball but if we'd taken our chances then we would have won comfortably even though we weren't at our best. 

Hopefully Ness isn't too badly hurt.

• Like 1

The name Cove Rangers screams out that is a disaster result. The reality is they are no longer a Highland League team and are by far favourites to win League 2. This game had all the haul marks of a banana skin tie. It's a poor result (or at least performance) from us, but its not one that will be remembered years down the line as a howler, especially if we go on to win the group. We are in a good position to win the group so we move on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

It would soften the blow of missing a home game at Dens because I have been invited to a wedding at the same time. 

👍

4 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

It would soften the blow of missing a home game at Dens because I have been invited to a wedding at the same time. 

👍

I’m sure I read that The cove chairman is Hartleys father in law

1 minute ago, dblair said:

I’m sure I read that The cove chairman is Hartleys father in law

Not the chairman, but the former manager, John Sheran, who had a heart attack just before the playoff final, is now a director. He's father of PH's current partner. 

I think the guy PH brought to Dens as one of the coaches, was the father of his (first) wife....and I think he's also a coach with PH at Cove now.

Taking the 'family club' a step too far? :)  

Alan McRae, the recently-retired SFA President, is back at Cove as Honorary President. I first encountered Alan as a player in the amateurs, then Cove's secretary, who led them to the top of the Aberdeenshire amateur leagues, through the juniors, to the top of the highland league. For all the sh*t he attracted in his SFA role, he was a good guy, with the drive to push a wee coastal village team right through the football league levels, and I don't think they're finished their journey yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody know the prices for the Peterhead game?

21 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

It’s under a week now until the first home match of the 2019/20 season when we face Peterhead at the Kilmac Stadium at Dens Park on Saturday 20th July.

Tickets are on sale now for the Peterhead match and the match against Inverness Caledonian Thistle the following Sunday.

Both matches are priced at £12 for Adults and £6 for Concessions.

James McPake’s side started the group section with a win at Raith Rovers and following Wednesday night’s match with Cove Rangers the home matches will be vital in the task of progressing into the knock out stages of the Betfred Cup.

Tickets are on sale from the Ticket Office inside Dundee Direct.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

I think all the games are £12 & £6. All the information is freely available on the official site though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OsloDee said:

Cove scored 100 goals and conceded only 12 in the Highland League, and won the pyramid play-off final comfortably. They have signed very few players so far this season, so the nucleus of the Highland League winning squad is intact. Average attendance is around 1500 per home game. They'll have a bigger budget that some Championship sides. Paul Hartley will be a full-time appointment. 

We drew with a Highland League side then?

1 minute ago, Prince Buster said:

Aye, the Highland League champions. Not that it makes it any better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince Buster said:

You could argue that the players they signed to win the Highland League were not Highland League players.

They are a League 2 side and favourites to win that league already.

We still drew with a sh**e side (in comparison), regardless.

20 hours ago, Aberdee said:

Bloody autotext - clearly should be Josh not John. 

Josh Mulligan isn't 17 yet. He was born on the same day as Fin Robertson, 12th November 2002.

See story on club website.

Incidentally, six of last season's Scotland Schools under 18 squad were from Dundee. Three of them have appeared in the Dee's first team this season, and all are still only 16.

Edited by Rumple
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Rumple said:

Josh Mulligan isn't 17 yet. He was born on the same day as Fin Robertson, 12th November 2002.

See story on club website.

Incidentally, six of last season's Scotland Schools under 18 squad were from Dundee. Three of them have appeared in the Dee's first team this season, and all are still only 16.

Well, apologies for the wild assumption Rumple. My son used to play with them in the Dundee youth set up until last year and, as he was one of the younger ones, I had incorrectly assumed, the others had either turned 17 already or were pretty damn close to it. 

Thanks for the additional stat on the Scottish Schools U18, makes good reading. 

• Like 2