The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Huddersfield's New Kit

Rate this topic

Surely this can't be real?

Image result for Huddersfield Rochdale

• Funny 2

Apparently it breaches FA regulations as it's too big so may be a publicity stunt.  

Bowfin! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

Apparently it breaches FA regulations as it's too big so may be a publicity stunt.  

Bowfin! 

That's how I see it too.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the regulations for the size & position of the area allowed for advertising are well known to every club, confirmed by FA/EFL. 

This is obviously some 'cheap publicity' by the sponsor, perhaps in an attempt to get around current/imminent restrictions on advertising gambling. Huddersfield will likely sell loads of these shirts when they go on sale this weekend, before they're forced to re-design them. I feel confident we'll soon find that the sponsor has happily picked up the cost of this, as they'll have a few thousand dumb advertising boards walking around Huddersfield for the next year. 

Hopefully the club will also be fined, they know full well this is not permitted. 

• Like 1

This reminds me of the Bukta strip that Hibs wore in the late 70's - the Bukta logo was considered too big for televised games so they had to wear a different kit for the tele.

They wore the kit on Monday against Rochdale so I think it must be genuine although they have been contacted about breaching the rules.

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

They wore the kit on Monday against Rochdale so I think it must be genuine although they have been contacted about breaching the rules.

Nah, I really really really don't buy it. It's still got to be a stunt and that seems to be the general thoughts from their support, you can't even pre-order it or anything from their club shop - that's after millions of people worldwide have seen it and the selling potential has been maximised. Also not been confirmed by the manufacturer and there was a pic going round which was quickly taken down that claimed to show the real kit.

Paddy Power are just really good at publicity and I'd imagine they wanted to do this over two or three days and then reveal the real ones when they go on sale on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Cobra said:

Wot Harry said but I'll add that in a pre season game they could wear whatever they want, the sponsorship rules will cover League/Cup games. Its been a great PR stunt one way or the other.

The reason I thought it might be for real is they've been ridiculed all week and said nothing. It's not exactly good press if they don't actually announce it's a prank, and the longer they leave it the less likely folk will be willing to believe it was intended as a joke.

3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

The reason I thought it might be for real is they've been ridiculed all week and said nothing. It's not exactly good press if they don't actually announce it's a prank, and the longer they leave it the less likely folk will be willing to believe it was intended as a joke.

I'm sure the philanthropists at PaddyPower will make it all better. :lol:

• Funny 1

You were right Harry. Although quite a lot of people on Twitter have apparently been accusing them of spinning the story after seeing the negative reaction.

I think they waited too long for the punch-line. Should have been 24 hours I reckon.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 20:17, Cobra said:

You were right Harry. Although quite a lot of people on Twitter have apparently been accusing them of spinning the story after seeing the negative reaction.

I think they waited too long for the punch-line. Should have been 24 hours I reckon.

I thought they should have done it at half time in the match and come out with the new kit.

Thing is, I suppose Paddy Power know what they are doing. Free advertising everywhere in the media and managed to spread the story out - they know how to milk things and play the press. Remember this a few months back

Motherwell signed up too. Their away strip is beautiful and I might look at getting one if they're still available in a sale.