The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Garageflower

Dundee V Peterhead Sat 20th July 2019

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, mitch said:

How the f**k can you make an atmosphere with a performance like that...absolutely pathetic 

It was a shitey home display coupled with a shitey home support. Catch 22. Demoralising for both sets.

7 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

Nobody gave the kids stick, any negatives were directed at the older players that were clueless.

What is it with modern coaches, one up at home against Peterhead, we should have dominated this game instead of treating them like Barca.

I certainly heard boos when Robertson made a side pass to Cunningham who then passed the ball back. Felt really sorry for them. Some boys in the Coxxy are a complete minter.

3 hours ago, sneddee said:

all about opinions. there is just no creativity at all we need a player

like gary harkins and quick!!!

Seen plenty creativity coming from the boy Robertson. Was making good quick forward passes/through balls. Think he wasted one pass all game when he scuffed his pass out of touch on the right side late on

• Like 5

4 hours ago, barkblue said:

*stuck record alert* so if negativity upsets, I wouldn't read on.

Said to a couple of lads today that I'm really beginning to question whether I actually enjoy football anymore. Not just going and watching games like today but just the overall lack of excitement, interest, incident or entertainment that the modern game provides. Teams happy to hold on to the ball without ever looking to score (we had a great period of possession with about 20-30 passes before losing the ball still inside our own half and almost getting caught on the break, for example) and just the general lack of character about anything that happens. We have not one player that gets you excited, or who tries something a little different. No one taking risks on or off he ball and since Greg Stewart was booed out of Dens, not one player that gets you out of your seat in expectation. 

The referee seemed to have never even been introduced to the game before, which doesn't help, and folk are so disillusioned that the whole atmosphere (which only really turned negative in the final 15 minutes when it was clear that we didn't have another gear) is just depressing to sit in. 

There were some positives (Robertson, Gowser for 30 minutes, another clean sheet (even if it wasn't really deserved) a very confident pen from Cunningham) but hand on heart, I was bored rigid for the entirety of that and am pretty pleased I won't be able to make next week. 

I was reduced to watching the seagulls a fair bit in the 2nd half.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Think I might bring my tattie gun next week!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charliedee said:

Peterhead seemed to do a fair bit of attacking today...we should have lost that game...I can think off the top of my head 4 great chances they had.....the problem was we were far far far too slow getting the ball back to front.

About sums up most of the game for me.  Our set up wasn't conducive to getting the ball forward early and this set up and style just invited Peterhead to take a hold on the game.  A better team up front would maybe have beaten us fairly easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

I never said penalties are a lottery.

Sorry it was Lovejoy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, barkblue said:

Said to a couple of lads today that I'm really beginning to question whether I actually enjoy football anymore. Not just going and watching games like today but just the overall lack of excitement, interest, incident or entertainment that the modern game provides. Teams happy to hold on to the ball without ever looking to score (we had a great period of possession with about 20-30 passes before losing the ball still inside our own half and almost getting caught on the break, for example) and just the general lack of character about anything that happens. We have not one player that gets you excited, or who tries something a little different. No one taking risks on or off he ball and since Greg Stewart was booed out of Dens, not one player that gets you out of your seat in expectation. 

The referee seemed to have never even been introduced to the game before, which doesn't help, and folk are so disillusioned that the whole atmosphere (which only really turned negative in the final 15 minutes when it was clear that we didn't have another gear) is just depressing to sit in. 

There were some positives (Robertson, Gowser for 30 minutes, another clean sheet (even if it wasn't really deserved) a very confident pen from Cunningham) but hand on heart, I was bored rigid for the entirety of that and am pretty pleased I won't be able to make next week. 

Sums it up for me for last three years.

Very worrying if we start feeling this way as youngsters will not be captured by watching dull fare. I also could not care that I am missing next week. Pars away is first game for me and I expect a step up in gear for the league challenge which will be brutally tough with the current squad. I am sure there are more to come in but we need them asap

15 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Gents

Our first League cup outing last year was a 4-0 win at Stirling and it went downhill from there, ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM.

4 Games on the trot and we haven't conceded a goal, Defence and Midfield look solid, vast improvement on last season, goal scoring woes are still to be fixed, 2 games against lower league opposition who have worked their socks off  and we haven't found the net in open play, clear clear message to the Management Team, we have improved 2 of 3 problems areas, if we don't fix the 3rd we will not be in contention at the top.

Still time to fix, lets keep the faith.

Bring on the Caley.  

Was at the match and we were woeful in first-half. Peterhead were first to every ball and winning second balls with ease. Things improved in second-half but we need some creativity. Ness and Todd were missed sorely today. What is the point of signing strikers if we do not create chances for them. Marshall and Robertson were the pick of our players I thought.

9 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Penalties are not a lottery. Players have to beat the goalie...its a skill. Tossing a coin is a lottery.

Stop being pedantic Billy, people are just saying that penalties can go either way, I'm sure they're aware that it's not actually a lottery.

2 hours ago, Attilio said:

There was a young laddie in the main stand with a belter of a mouser that caught our attention. The seagulls were a welcome distraction too.

10 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Stop being pedantic Billy, people are just saying that penalties can go either way, I'm sure they're aware that it's not actually a lottery.

Not pedantic, having a chat and an opinion.

• Star Post 1

Just now, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Not pedantic, having a chat and an opinion.

Whatever mate.🙄

• Funny 1

I bumped into Islay before the game. That was the most exciting thing that happened the whole afternoon.😉

• Funny 2

Dens is a fortress ....................... for visiting teams.

Starting to forget what it's like to win a competitive game at home .

Just now, Den Spark said:

I bumped into Islay before the game. That was the most exciting thing that happened the whole afternoon.😉

Ha, ha, me too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

7 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Ha, ha, me too.

Did either of you get his autograph?

• Funny 1

49 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Had a bit of fear when it went to pens. They won 11-10 last game, with every player scoring. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barkblue said:

Great post.

The only thing that keeps a lot of us going is blind illogical loyalty.

Entertainment, excitement, what’s that?

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

The only thing that keeps a lot of us going is blind illogical loyalty.

Something that I've been drained of the last two seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Prince Buster said:

Something that I've been drained of the last two seasons.

It’s understandable.

By the way am I the only one mystified at the lack of animation on our bench yesterday.

It seemed to me that the coaches were as bored as we were, only once did somebody make their way to the edge of the technical area to shout instructions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barkblue said:

I tend to agree with you about modern football being boring and lacking excitement. I mean how many of these English games get built up to death and end up being a total snooze fest. 

Dont get me wrong at times the Man City and Liverpool’s of this world can be fantastic to watch at times but for me the problem is you now get managers in Scotland with mediocre players trying to replicate what these teams do and they are obviously not good enough at it means we getting boring football which is a total snooze fest as we know having watched Hartley and McCanns teams in recent years. 

For me football can be just as exciting and a hell of a lot more productive getting the ball from front to back quickly, be that to a couple of decent wingers or a target man holding it up and bringing runners into the game. To often we are to f**cking slow getting the ball forward and gives the opposition time to get back and set up properly. That’s not just a criticism of Dundee it’s seems to be a general issue. 

Quick direct attacking football is not something we have seen a lot recently and for me that can get the fans of their seats and build a bit of atmosphere. 

• Like 2