The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Time to move on from yesterday and look for positives ahead of Fridays game:

• We looked good against Aberdeen so hopefully do better against a team who will have more possession and will attack us
  • JMP and JN have all week to review what went wrong yesterday and come up with a game plan so hopefully learn from our mistakes
  • We are fairly solid at the back and don't allow that many clear cut chances so hopefully restrict Shankland although he can score out of nothing
  • United have a full house and are favorites, we normally fall flat in those circumstances so hopefully they do too!
  • If Ness is back i'd fancy him Byrne and Robbo if fit to boss the midfield, 451 probably our best option
  • We have good options from the bench to change the game if needed
  • Robson is poor for them so we might get joy if we target that side
  • Johnson, Hemmings and Nelson are all capable of scoring and can trouble their centre halfs if they get service

That's the best i can do!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Only thing that worries me about the derby is the fact mcpake doesnt know his best 11 yet. If it was me I'd go

Hamilton 

Kerr Forster mcghee Marshall 

Todd Byrne Robertson Ness Mcdaid 

Hemmings 

I think he does know his best eleven and currently that’s the team you’ve said (only difference is maybe McPake coming in for one of the three). What I think the problem is is when one of the midfield two of Byrne or Ness is missing he realises that we don’t have anyone to really cover them so he switches to a 4-4-2 or he plays McGowan who although provides energy isn’t as good and is basically filling a hole.

If we play that 4-2-3-1 that you’ve said I think we get at least a draw on Friday. But I’m still hopeful we have one more key signing to come in this week to bolster the three. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bjs said:

I think he does know his best eleven and currently that’s the team you’ve said (only difference is maybe McPake coming in for one of the three). What I think the problem is is when one of the midfield two of Byrne or Ness is missing he realises that we don’t have anyone to really cover them so he switches to a 4-4-2 or he plays McGowan who although provides energy isn’t as good and is basically filling a hole.

If we play that 4-2-3-1 that you’ve said I think we get at least a draw on Friday. But I’m still hopeful we have one more key signing to come in this week to bolster the three. 

I'm usually wrong with these types of things but I honestly cant see us signing anyone else before Friday. If we do it will be King 

4 hours ago, Cobra said:

Great time to play Dunfermline. Their 120 minutes battling at Parkhead could be their highlight of the season. Their next match was always going to be an anti-climax with the usual bite missing from their game.

Cobra, the same can be said for us, almost feeling sorry for ourself for the result against Aberdeen and then believing we only have to turn up the following week, the classic Cup hangover game. 

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to start Kerr at LB. Got a horrible feeling that Marshall v McMullan is only going to go one way - not well. 

57 minutes ago, Cobra said:

They outclassed us at times five years ago with GMS and Armstrong. They don't have the quality these days to outclass us. They can beat anyone or lose to anyone, same as Dundee, but they are not going outclass us, Dunfermline or even East Fife.

If we match them for commitment the game will be about fine margins... who takes their chances, who gets the decisions.

They were undone by East Fife just by the shear hard work that EF put into the game and Shankland was playing, it can be done, I am sure that McP will have watched the video of that game a few times by now. 

Shankland started last season on fire and fell away as soon as the hype started, odds on the same will happen again, hence comments made by previous managers. 

We are unbeaten, Solid Defence, A Frustrated Front Line and looking for a couple of pieces to finish the jigsaw in midfield with less than 2 weeks to the transfer window closing.

A poor result next week could help us get the players we want / need for the season, as bitter a pill that is to swallow and for fear of stating the obvious, the league is not going to be won or lost next week.

we still hold the ace in that they are in this league because we put the final nail in the relegation coffin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

Cobra, the same can be said for us, almost feeling sorry for ourself for the result against Aberdeen and then believing we only have to turn up the following week, the classic Cup hangover game. 

Good point Huggs. It was indeed a good time to play Dundee. We didn't have the same appetite for ICT that we had for Aberdeen and unfortunately we don't have the quality to ease off and still claim the points.

Thankfully we've got a first league derby in years on Friday so we'll almost certainly see the team fully focused for that one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I'd be tempted to start Kerr at LB. Got a horrible feeling that Marshall v McMullan is only going to go one way - not well. 

WW, A reflection on the start that Kerr has had to the season, he has been solid so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

They were undone by East Fife just by the shear hard work that EF put into the game and Shankland was playing, it can be done, I am sure that McP will have watched the video of that game a few times by now. 

Shankland started last season on fire and fell away as soon as the hype started, odds on the same will happen again, hence comments made by previous managers. 

We are unbeaten, Solid Defence, A Frustrated Front Line and looking for a couple of pieces to finish the jigsaw in midfield with less than 2 weeks to the transfer window closing.

A poor result next week could help us get the players we want / need for the season, as bitter a pill that is to swallow and for fear of stating the obvious, the league is not going to be won or lost next week.

we still hold the ace in that they are in this league because we put the final nail in the relegation coffin.

Dundee struggled against Cove and Peterhead. Aberdeen struggled against Dundee. United struggled against East Fife. Even Celtic toiled against Dunfermline. There just isn't the quality at bigger clubs these days so effort alone can often bridge the gap between clubs in different divisions.

Shankland is a worry because he's having a Clarkson-style purple patch but it won't last and hopefully this is the week when his inevitable drought begins. If we deny him the space then we can keep another clean sheet and nick a win.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I'd be tempted to start Kerr at LB. Got a horrible feeling that Marshall v McMullan is only going to go one way - not well

I was thinking the same thing last night.  Marshall has far exceeded my expectations of him so far but I can't shake the feeling he often looks like he is a wee bit short of pace. As they used to say he runs like he is pulling a caravan.  It will be a test for him but you would think he must have faced McMullan a few times already.  Maybe a good time to start Todd in front of him to provide cover.  The two look like they have a very good understanding.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

I'm usually wrong with these types of things but I honestly cant see us signing anyone else before Friday. If we do it will be King 

If we don’t get a couple of players in, be aswel handing the league to United now..

That midfield will struggle all season to create...

Mcgowan Curran Davies out....(appreciate that’s not easy)

And a couple in....

Massive 5/6 days for the club.

4 minutes ago, Attilio said:

I was thinking the same thing last night.  Marshall has far exceeded my expectations of him so far but I can't shake the feeling he often looks like he is a wee bit short of pace. As they used to say he runs like he is pulling a caravan.  It will be a test for him but you would think he must have faced McMullan a few times already.  Maybe a good time to start Todd in front of him to provide cover.  The two look like they have a very good understanding.

Personally I think McPake will start on the left in front of Marshall. 

From what I seen yesterday he is a team player and will track back and won't leave anyone 2 on 1. 

A wide 5 will mean we can defend but support Hemmings. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Cammy is not a left back.That backfired spectacularly last season.Cant believe the hype over McMullan.He is nothing .Cut out the supply with strong defensive mid.Why was Jamie Ness not playing yesterday?

Just had a look at their starting 11 yesterday.....how do they keep winning because man for man imo we have a better starting 11. If we keep shankland quiet we will win but we need to win the midfield battle. Ness, Byrne and Robertson will over run and out muscle Stanton and harkes if they start with those two. 

What's really perplexing me is how every dabs I speak too thinks they are going to give us a complete doing, why? Just dont get it

1 minute ago, dfcman said:

Cammy is not a left back.That backfired spectacularly last season.Cant believe the hype over McMullan.He is nothing .Cut out the supply with strong defensive mid.Why was Jamie Ness not playing yesterday?

He was ill apparently 

34 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

He was ill apparently 

Hope he is back fully fit Friday.On his performance till subbed vs Aberdeen he is key player

We are 8 competitive games unbeaten so far in normal time. 

Let's ditch this doom and negativity right now and get right behind this club as one this week and on Friday. 

I'm not going in to a derby dreading it only three games into the season because one player is in good form for them.

• Like 4
  • Star Post 2

50 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Cant believe the hype over McMullan.

I completely agree. I think he's a very poor footballer but, he's got a helluva lot of pace, Marshall doesn't. 

McMullan's M.O is touch it by and sprint past, 99% of the time. Marshall will never catch him and that could leave us horribly exposed. I just reckon Kerr's pace will help us deal with that threat better. 

Marshall has been quality for us so far. There's no way I'd be dropping him to bring Kerr in at left back. 

McPake won't either.....

McMullan isn't all that good I wouldn't worry. If anything, the arabs should be worried about McDaid having another stormer against them.

If you compare their starting 12 to ours, it is pretty even. They have just had more time to gel together than us.

We need to get more creative though otherwise we will lose.

Edited by J_Kitamirike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I completely agree. I think he's a very poor footballer but, he's got a helluva lot of pace, Marshall doesn't. 

McMullan's M.O is touch it by and sprint past, 99% of the time. Marshall will never catch him and that could leave us horribly exposed. I just reckon Kerr's pace will help us deal with that threat better. 

Kerr isnt the fastest.And as I say cut out the supply.Yesterday Dunfermline had 55% possession butb werec heavily outnumberd by shots.That tells you a lot that they win it in midfield to supply forwards.So you have to counter that.And if we can be 1 minute and a bad ref decision away from beating Aberdeen we can control Fridays match.Scoring goals might be a bit of a problem for us but we keep a strong shape midfield and they wont get chances