The Dark Blues
Cobra

Unpopular Opinions Thread

Rate this topic

Just now, barkblue said:

Cammy definitely deserved to win POTY when he did, but just as with Ralph last season that was more down to a lack of competition for the crown than him being utterly outstanding. 

We've had a lot of players over the last few seasons that we've praised who are, in the cold light of hindsight, nothing more than average. That however has been good enough to be a stand out in our team - and we maybe still have that problem right now too... 

I agree with that but if he was the best player in our Premiership squad in 2016/17 you'd think surely we can get him playing at a level where he's an asset in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Harold Finch said:

The fans will turn on McPake and want Strachan to replace him if we're not in the top two at Christmas

Christmas?! You can't be serious Harold. I was thinking Halloween.

• Funny 1

21 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Depending on how Saturday goes it might be before the schools go back 

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

That's way too much latitude.

End of August.

We will play our first match at the new stadium in 2021, it will be a fantastic success and our team of youngsters under captain Cammy and boss JMP will storm back up to the premiership through automatic promotion in 20/21 and will finish 5th in 21/22.

What's unpopular is that some people on here and at matches will be furious to have so little to complain about

• Funny 1
  • Like 1

Just now, andrak said:

We will play our first match at the new stadium in 2021, it will be a fantastic success and our team of youngsters under captain Cammy and boss JMP will storm back up to the premiership through automatic promotion in 20/21 and will finish 5th in 21/22.

What's unpopular is that some people on here and at matches will be furious to have so little to complain about

You’ve not addressed double queuing ,access, paper towels to name but three🤣

Some of my mates think we should amalgamate with United to provide more of a challenge.  Now that really is an unpopular opinion!  😡

2 minutes ago, Mev said:

Some of my mates think we should amalgamate with United to provide more of a challenge. 

Don't start me off on that one again....

14 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

You’ve not addressed double queuing ,access, paper towels to name but three🤣

Fair point. But, then again, if we win the Championship, then finish 5th in the Premiership, who will care if some older fans can't make the games, or we're all trapped at Nou Campy from one week to the next because of the queue to get on the Kingsway, or if we all have piss-stained hands (or bloated bladders)?

11 minutes ago, Mev said:

Some of my mates think we should amalgamate with United to provide more of a challenge.  Now that really is an unpopular opinion!  😡

That’s beyond unpopular - names please and addresses so we can get round there and sort them out

22 minutes ago, Mev said:

Are they Dees?

If you're a Dundee fan who doesn't care about the club dying and being replaced by a new club with new colours, new badge, etc, because all you care about is challenging, why don't you just support one of the country's five bigger clubs?

• Star Post 1

12 hours ago, Cobra said:

I agree with that but if he was the best player in our Premiership squad in 2016/17 you'd think surely we can get him playing at a level where he's an asset in the Championship.

I think my worry with Cammy is that he has had two really tough seasons now, sometimes hard for a player to get out of that sort of rut. I'm not calling for him to be dropped yet but I think he was deffo a weak link on Friday and needs to improve on that performance with a bit more time.

Seeing the way the team is shaping up now as well, it's kind of become a bit of an issue I think as we seem to be relying quite a bit on the full backs to have some creativity in the last third. He had one really good cross on Friday actually and he was better in the second half but still seems to lack that bit of confidence is still not totally there, hopefully he pushes on though but if that's the style we're going to keep going, we'll maybe need to think about something else.

I think it probably is still a better scenario than under McCann though where we often played the ball about quite slowly and then passed the ball back to him in quite deep positions, sometimes on his wrong side and the opposition having plenty of chance to close down. He is very fast and quite prone to being fouled so I do think he can adapt and do quite well in the new set-up where he'll get the ball a bit higher up the pitch and more space hopefully.

Funnily enough, when he come into the side under Hartley after his loan spell at Peterhead, we had the complete opposite problem. For the start of the season when McGinn left, he was our main right back and he looked very much out of his depth defensively after the first few games - Hateley then come in and we experimented with him as an option there. After a few months, he did really calm down though and actually learned how to defend one on one much better and it is arguably the strongest part of his game now.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Are they Dees?

If you're a Dundee fan who doesn't care about the club dying and being replaced by a new club with new colours, new badge, etc, because all you care about is challenging, why don't you just support one of the country's five bigger clubs?

They are former Dees who don't go to Dens very much nowadays and who are fed up with us getting thumped every week.  I don't think they could bring themselves to support anyone else though so are just lost to football.  I don't agree with their opinions on amalgamation but their argument is it worked for Caley and Thistle in Inverness who are a far bigger club together than they could ever be apart.  Personally, I don't think the two supports would collectively follow an amalgamated club.  Dundee and United both have a  history that Caley and Thistle never really did. 

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I think my worry with Cammy is that he has had two really tough seasons now, sometimes hard for a player to get out of that sort of rut. I'm not calling for him to be dropped yet but I think he was deffo a weak link on Friday and needs to improve on that performance with a bit more time.

Seeing the way the team is shaping up now as well, it's kind of become a bit of an issue I think as we seem to be relying quite a bit on the full backs to have some creativity in the last third. He had one really good cross on Friday actually and he was better in the second half but still seems to lack that bit of confidence is still not totally there, hopefully he pushes on though but if that's the style we're going to keep going, we'll maybe need to think about something else.

I think it probably is still a better scenario than under McCann though where we often played the ball about quite slowly and then passed the ball back to him in quite deep positions, sometimes on his wrong side and the opposition having plenty of chance to close down. He is very fast and quite prone to being fouled so I do think he can adapt and do quite well in the new set-up where he'll get the ball a bit higher up the pitch and more space hopefully.

Funnily enough, when he come into the side under Hartley after his loan spell at Peterhead, we had the complete opposite problem. For the start of the season when McGinn left, he was our main right back and he looked very much out of his depth defensively after the first few games - Hateley then come in and we experimented with him as an option there. After a few months, he did really calm down though and actually learned how to defend one on one much better and it is arguably the strongest part of his game now.

I'd give him a defensive role. Get him trained how to defend against crosses and his duties when defending at the back post. Needs to be part of a defensive system and not given too many attacking duties, IMO. Rather have no goals coming from his side of the pitch, which I think is achievable, than having him trying to send in crosses at the other end for our forwards to score goals.

42 minutes ago, BCram said:

I'd give him a defensive role. Get him trained how to defend against crosses and his duties when defending at the back post. Needs to be part of a defensive system and not given too many attacking duties, IMO. Rather have no goals coming from his side of the pitch, which I think is achievable, than having him trying to send in crosses at the other end for our forwards to score goals.

For starters we can instruct him to never, ever pass the ball backwards again.  When in doubt, stick it up the line out of harm's way.

• Star Post 1

1 minute ago, Attilio said:

For starters we can instruct him to never, ever pass the ball backwards again.  When in doubt, stick it up the line out of harm's way.

Christ unless he’s 6 year old he should know that 😂

6 hours ago, Attilio said:

...and if that’s not on, ‘play for touch’ but preferably off an opponent. Not that a throw-in is usually any great advantage for us 😉 

21 minutes ago, Attilio said:

hit it nice and high, like a rugby up and under and get the forwards to know what he's going to do! Brilliant advice Attlilio.

Too many traffic lights,bring back free for all circles,and give way signs,put the speed limit on kingsway back up and put tunnels under to stop retards getting run over:stirthepot:😂

• Funny 2

Women footballers should get the same as men when the standard is the same,ie the USA team got hammered 7-0 by the under 16 boys team ffs.

• Like 1