Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Unpopular Opinions Thread

Cobra

9 minutes ago, GSD said:

Women footballers should get the same as men when the standard is the same,ie the USA team got hammered 7-0 by the under 16 boys team ffs.

It's baffling that women footballers are wanting the same wages as men, not so much because of the standard but because the earnings of male footballers are dictated by the revenue generated. If women get paid a % of money brought in they'll never earn the same.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
4 hours ago, Mev said:

They are former Dees who don't go to Dens very much nowadays and who are fed up with us getting thumped every week.  I don't think they could bring themselves to support anyone else though so are just lost to football.  I don't agree with their opinions on amalgamation but their argument is it worked for Caley and Thistle in Inverness who are a far bigger club together than they could ever be apart.  Personally, I don't think the two supports would collectively follow an amalgamated club.  Dundee and United both have a  history that Caley and Thistle never really did. 

Inverness Caley were the Highland League's big club back in the 1980s. The team regularly won the title, caused upsets in the cup and had a big, passionate support.

Caley and Thistle agreed to a merger/takeover because the Scottish League demanded it. The town gained a league team but it caused resentment that still exists today.

If ICT had refused to merge and joined a few years later like Ross County they would IMO be a far bigger club now as they would have retained their history along with their passionate fanbase and also benefited from the area's population doubling in size. Instead, they are a plastic club with very poor local support, zero passion and financial problems.

Anyone who expects a Dundee merger to result in a city powerhouse to challenge the big five clubs will get a big surprise if it ever happens. I wouldn't be massively surprised to see a merged Dundee team be a disastrous failure, possibly playing at Stirling Albion's level, with Dees and Arabs getting behind newly-formed clubs true their roots and starting in the Juniors, following other teams or giving up on the sport altogether.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

It's baffling that women footballers are wanting the same wages as men, not so much because of the standard but because the earnings of male footballers are dictated by the revenue generated. If women get paid a % of money brought in they'll never earn the same.

I mean, I'd like the salary of any of my peers who earned a lot more. They are doing what is normal, trying to push the boundaries and expand their earning powers.

I don't really think you'll find many (if any) making that argument though and I do think it's a unfair that there is a perception about it and think the media haven't really communicated their words well. There is more revenue generated in the US National Team so they are trying to push it for internationals but I don't think that it's true to suggest that women players are really commonly arguing seriously about matching. They just want to articulate that when you are proudly announcing investment in the sport and making a big push on it publicly and partnering with billion dollar businesses, it's a bit of a contradiction to want the sport to improve when it's not financially viable for many to train full time. It is better than what it was with the introduction of central contracts but it's still really just a few dozen on the national average (and they will be hurting other career prospects by not spending that time in the workplace) and there's a huge disparity with contracts that wouldn't be considered a living wage.

I get that entirely and I personally sympathise with it, they shouldn't stop trying to force the FA to try and provide more contracts and money into the game and I think the FA should also be reasonable when it's such a cheap endeavour for them in the grand scheme of things which could result in a positive societal impact with the expansion of a sport to include more people.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Inverness Caley were the Highland League's big club back in the 1980s. The team regularly won the title, caused upsets in the cup and had a big, passionate support.

Caley and Thistle agreed to a merger/takeover because the Scottish League demanded it. The town gained a league team but it caused resentment that still exists today.

If ICT had refused to merge and joined a few years later like Ross County they would IMO be a far bigger club now as they would have retained their history along with their passionate fanbase and also benefited from the area's population doubling in size. Instead, they are a plastic club with very poor local support, zero passion and financial problems.

Anyone who expects a Dundee merger to result in a city powerhouse to challenge the big five clubs will get a big surprise if it ever happens. I wouldn't be massively surprised to see a merged Dundee team be a disastrous failure, possibly playing at Stirling Albion's level, with Dees and Arabs getting behind newly-formed clubs true their roots and starting in the Juniors, following other teams or giving up on the sport altogether.

I stay in Elgin and folk here would say Elgin City were always the biggest club in the Highland League even in the eighties.  Elgin used to take eight or nine buses to away games before they joined the SPFL and the support dwindled because they were no longer winning games regularly.  They still turn out in numbers for big games though and outnumbered the home support when they met Caley in a cup game through there not that long ago.  If Elgin had a white knight like Ross County have they wouldn't be in the second division.

There were over 2,000 at the recent cup game against Hibs and that was on the telly. 

I do get your point about Caley though.

• Like 3

On 5 August 2019 at 16:35, GSD said:

When overweight munters wear the tight leggings,sorry it's not ok:stirthepot:

Yer too fussy GSD, what finer sight is there than an oversized women bending over showing her a**e cheeks whilst wearing her best primark thong ?💔🎣

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Janny62 said:

Yer too fussy GSD, what finer sight is there than an oversized women bending over showing her a**e cheeks whilst wearing her best primark thong ?💔🎣

Eh'm jist efter taking in that vision Janny ... I'm no' quite sure eh'll ever recover ... "Yes Nurse, more pills please" :jawdrop:

4 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Eh'm jist efter taking in that vision Janny ... I'm no' quite sure eh'll ever recover ... "Yes Nurse, more pills please" :jawdrop:

Apologies Gedee, that posting maybe should have come with a warning ....keep yer pills by your side before reading 😳

17 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Apologies Gedee, that posting maybe should have come with a warning ....keep yer pills by your side before reading 😳

It's OK Janny ...

Since taking those pills from that rather overweight nurse, I am not only warming to the idea. I am feeling a bit "hot" in all the right places :)

In fact she gave me two new pills which are not usually a part of my medication & said to expect her return very soon Sounds fine to me  :bouncy:

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

It's OK Janny ...

Since taking those pills from that rather overweight nurse, I am not only warming to the idea. I am feeling a bit "hot" in all the right places :)

In fact she gave me two new pills which are not usually a part of my medication & said to expect her return very soon Sounds fine to me  :bouncy:

If she tells you that you'll be on pills for the rest of your life and hands you a pack of two.....start worrying 😂😂

• Funny 2

Adblock Detected