The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
dblair

Why Liverpool Boo God Save the Queen

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, dblair said:

Came across this open letter today and found it an interesting read

https://apple.news/AZbZbSJCBQR2TegSzfA8edg

Prior to reading the above open letter I already knew that the city of Liverpool is well,known as the ‘Irish capital’ of the UK which might account for Liverpool supporters booing the National anthem. 

It is very interesting, and very well written. 

Plenty of bits I agree with or would comment on & not much that I'd argue with, but other than saying that, I suspect this topic is heading for the 'no politics' chop tomorrow?  

I read somewhere in youtube comments re Flower of Scotland, some english fans saying they like Scotland, Wales using their own anthems, they refuse to sing GSTQ as it's the 'British' anthem (though we know its origin was 100% english, composed & sung when the Jacobite army was on its way south through north england), and they think the FA ought to be using 'Land of Hope & Glory'.

Maybe the people's revolution isn't so far away, after all, but will it start at Anfield? ;) 

• Like 1

Impressive piece of writing. I'd be disappointed if such a well written piece was binned.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2019 at 19:24, dblair said:

Came across this open letter today and found it an interesting read

https://apple.news/AZbZbSJCBQR2TegSzfA8edg

A fair dose of scouse "wha's like us" and whining in there. Even though I sympathise with some of it, there's a lot of speculation and point scoring too. No mention of Heysel either.

Basically, pick a side. Pity, it could have been a good article instead of cliched crap.

• Like 2