Jump to content
The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Dundee 1 - 0 Ayr (Home, 10th Aug 2019)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Dundee get of to a great start at home with a 1 - 0 win against Ayr United.

A Nelson goal on the 74th minute was enough to keep the 3 points and Dens and the Dark Blues 2nd in the league table.

Dundee 1 - 0 Ayr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a clean sheet v a team who scored 4 last week v Morton...well done lads...i'll quite happily take scrappy 1-0 wins every single week.

  • Like 4
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed when Todd came on and Ness moved into the middle in my opinion. We started to get at them more. Delighted for Nelson. Good win. Tough opposition.  Starting  midfield setup was louping.

Dont think McGowan and the young lad in the centre of the midfield helps our cause in the slightest. 

  • Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a point. Why not play the team that ended last week as the starting lineup today?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delighted we got through that fixture with a win, obviously we need those wins if we're going to be in contention but Ayr are a tough side and don't gift anyone points easily.

Plenty to work on but I think the big positive is that the strength of our attack gives us a player like Nelson to introduce as a sub. I thought McPake was brave in hooking Gowser too but we were crying out for Todd and needed to sacrifice someone.

One issue for me though is that if we're going to play two forwards, we need to have a couple of wingers or creative outlets on the pitch IMO and all we've got there is McDaid and Todd. Really need one or two more of those sorts of options as I think we'd have issues if one was unavailable - it just gives us some outlet and movement up the park. It's not fair to expect three central industrial midfielders to do a job that they aren't natural with IMO.

A free hit against Aberdeen next week so an opportunity for McPake to maybe work on some other plans. It's perhaps a negative viewpoint but I think we've got a new team coming together and we maybe won't hit full steam until a couple of months into the season and still have a lot of learning to do.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BCram said:

Just a point. Why not play the team that ended last week as the starting lineup today?

f**cking HELL DUNDEE.....ONE UP FRONT AGAINST THIS PISH....WHURS HEMMINGS

  • Funny 1
  • Like 2
  • Star Post 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to get a league win at Dens with a clean sheet thrown in for good measure. My concern however is that we really struggled to get in behind the Ayr defence and imo i thought this game had 0-0 written all over it (although what a save from Hamilton at 0-0 when Ayr were clean through). 

Maybe a bit controversial after such an effective start to the season, but I felt that perhaps Fin Robertson was the weak point in midfield. Whilst its brilliant to have competition, imo, Byrne and Ness, at this stage in the season, have to start when available. This isn't a criticism of Robertson, I just feel he should be allowed time to develop rather having the added pressure of starting ahead of seasoned pros like Byrne.

Excellent performances from McDaid and Kerr. Shame Hemmings didn't get the debut goal but his work rate was also very good and he did come close on a couple of occasions. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Delighted we got through that fixture with a win, obviously we need those wins if we're going to be in contention but Ayr are a tough side and don't gift anyone points easily.

Plenty to work on but I think the big positive is that the strength of our attack gives us a player like Nelson to introduce as a sub. I thought McPake was brave in hooking Gowser too but we were crying out for Todd and needed to sacrifice someone. 👍

One issue for me though is that if we're going to play two forwards, we need to have a couple of wingers or creative outlets on the pitch IMO and all we've got there is McDaid and Todd. Really need one or two more of those sorts of options  👍as I think we'd have issues if one was unavailable - it just gives us some outlet and movement up the park. It's not fair to expect three central industrial midfielders to do a job that they aren't natural with IMO.

A free hit against Aberdeen next week so an opportunity for McPake to maybe work on some other plans. It's perhaps a negative viewpoint but I think we've got a new team coming together and we maybe won't hit full steam until a couple of months into the season and still have a lot of learning to do.

Could not have put it better 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Dundee get of to a great start at home with a 1 - 0 win against Ayr United.

A Nelson goal on the 74th minute was enough to keep the 3 points and Dens and the Dark Blues 2nd in the league table.

Dundee 1 - 0 Ayr

A win but could do a lot better. Good to see that the manager is able to change things for the better, as the match progresses. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BCram said:

Just a point. Why not play the team that ended last week as the starting lineup today?

Yes I agree. But it was right to drop Byrne. Robertson has been excellent and deserves to be persevered with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

Good to get a league win at Dens with a clean sheet thrown in for good measure. My concern however is that we really struggled to get in behind the Ayr defence and imo i thought this game had 0-0 written all over it (although what a save from Hamilton at 0-0 when Ayr were clean through). 

Maybe a bit controversial after such an effective start to the season, but I felt that perhaps Fin Robertson was the weak point in midfield. Whilst its brilliant to have competition, imo, Byrne and Ness, at this stage in the season, have to start when available. This isn't a criticism of Robertson, I just feel he should be allowed time to develop rather having the added pressure of starting ahead of seasoned pros like Byrne.

Excellent performances from McDaid and Kerr. Shame Hemmings didn't get the debut goal but his work rate was also very good and he did come close on a couple of occasions. 

Yes it's a great option having Nelson coming on as a sub, when the defence is tiring. 

We still need another couple of options in midfield. Perhaps King will provide that... 

  • Like 1
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eyeothedug said:

Yes I agree. But it was right to drop Byrne. Robertson has been excellent and deserves to be persevered with. 

I think the starting line up was a mistake and I think it was proved as the game progressed.

We are still missing something but we are not far away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank goodness that in the end we won but we rode our luck and could have lost a goal not long before Nelson scored.

I felt that McGowan looked a bit isolated at times in midfield and I was not surprised when he was substituted. 

I think it will take a few games until the team gels and Kane gets used to playing in the team. 

Today’s attendance was announced at Dens as 5,520 (243 Ayr United supporters) 

This equates to 5,277 Dundee supporters which is a bigger home support than at any home League game last season with the biggest home support at the Boxing Day game v Livingston being 5,060. 

Obviously the signing of Kane Hemmings must have boosted the home support but it shows that if we keep winning attendances will surely increase. 

  • Like 7
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I think Gowser going off was the thing that changed it. Todd gave more width but Gowser totally ineffective whole time he was on.

Unusual for Gowser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I think Gowser going off was the thing that changed it. Todd gave more width but Gowser totally ineffective whole time he was on.

Maybe not totally ineffective but I agree and get where you're coming from.  That will not go down in as one of his best or even average performances.  Maybe the Aberdeen game is the time to test our midfield options without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, islaydarkblue said:

Thank goodness that in the end we won but we rode our luck and could have lost a goal not long before Nelson scored.

I felt that McGowan looked a bit isolated at times in midfield and I was not surprised when he was substituted. 

I think it will take a few games until the team gels and Kane gets used to playing in the team. 

Today’s attendance was announced at Dens as 5,520 (243 Ayr United supporters) 

This equates to 5,277 Dundee supporters which is a bigger home support than at any home League game last season with the biggest home support at the Boxing Day game v Livingston being 5,060. 

Obviously the signing of Kane Hemmings must have boosted the home support but it shows that if we keep winning attendances will surely increase. 

Great home support. Am sure we could get to 6 or 7 thousand with a successful winning run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

Good to get a league win at Dens with a clean sheet thrown in for good measure. My concern however is that we really struggled to get in behind the Ayr defence and imo i thought this game had 0-0 written all over it (although what a save from Hamilton at 0-0 when Ayr were clean through). 

Maybe a bit controversial after such an effective start to the season, but I felt that perhaps Fin Robertson was the weak point in midfield. Whilst its brilliant to have competition, imo, Byrne and Ness, at this stage in the season, have to start when available. This isn't a criticism of Robertson, I just feel he should be allowed time to develop rather having the added pressure of starting ahead of seasoned pros like Byrne.

Excellent performances from McDaid and Kerr. Shame Hemmings didn't get the debut goal but his work rate was also very good and he did come close on a couple of occasions. 

I'm certainly not into the 'one of our own' thing' but I thought Robertson had another good game,  especially 2nd half.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

I think the starting line up was a mistake and I think it was proved as the game progressed.

We are still missing something but we are not far away.

Yes, I think it is just the midfield mix and the right formation that needs work. Today's defence looks like the best choice. Up front it will always be a choice between Hemmings, Johnson and Nelson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.