The Dark Blues
Dee_Dee

Celtic's Champions League Doon the Cluj

Rate this topic

It's terrific to see, it really is. Pat Bonner crying is terrific to hear, it really is. I just need Michael Stewart to et sacked and my night will be f**cking made, it really will. 

Disastrous result for the 'tic last night, after a good away 1-1 1st leg. Only saw the Cluj goals, but the defence looked like it was playing 'miles apart'....loads of space for Cluj to use, and they did. Bizarre decision to take perhaps their best midfielder out of there, and play him at left back....when they have decent defenders who could have played there.  :slaphead:  

Failure to win the next playoff, to get into the Europa League, could yet see Lennon's 2nd spell as manager coming to an earlier than anticipated end. Transfer policy has been daft, and they've now thrown away the benefit the Tierney fee was going to bring.

Unfortunately, a big drop in funds now, not just for Celtic, but for the other Scottish clubs.

....and having lost that late 2nd goal in the first leg, and with Cosgrove out, I suspect Aberdeen will go out on Thursday.

We'll a' be left supporting the Huns, eh :stop:

Whilst people rejoice at the fact that Celtic and other teams getting knocked out early from Europe, the gruesome fact is that Dundee FC are now reportedly 250k-400k worse off this season. This money is ring fenced for youth development football  at the club. Dundee we’re entitled to the money as it’s the teams who were in the league when they won it. Coupled with the previous seasons early pumping, you are talking at least £500k worse off! I’m sure Nelms, Strachan and academy directors throughout Scotland were about greeting when Celtic conceded each goal!

28 minutes ago, BigG said:

Whilst people rejoice at the fact that Celtic and other teams getting knocked out early from Europe, the gruesome fact is that Dundee FC are now reportedly 250k-400k worse off this season. This money is ring fenced for youth development football  at the club. Dundee we’re entitled to the money as it’s the teams who were in the league when they won it. Coupled with the previous seasons early pumping, you are talking at least £500k worse off! I’m sure Nelms, Strachan and academy directors throughout Scotland were about greeting when Celtic conceded each goal!

How can you be worse off for a payment you haven't received yet that isn't guaranteed and is dependent on a result in a game of football?

It's a totally bizarre set up anyway IMO that teams in Scotland are reliant on Celtic winning two legged games of football in order to have money for youth football.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

How can you be worse off for a payment you haven't received yet that isn't guaranteed and is dependent on a result in a game of football?

It's a totally bizarre set up anyway IMO that teams in Scotland are reliant on Celtic winning two legged games of football in order to have money for youth football.

Sort of get what you mean CW, but my point was, the implications of the defeat is that Dundee are worse off. Although this money can’t be budgeted for, I’m sure the club would be overwhelmingly thankful. The youth system is extremely expensive and a host of teams have now shelved them due to cost. 

For me, I was wanting Celtic to qualify purely for this money. 

However, next season we are not entitled to it due to being out the top league, 😉 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Think the payments for other clubs is a classic European bribe. Don't rock the boat or we'll take away the cash that the other clubs get. The ring fencing for youth development does not seem to have worked particularly well for Scottish players when you look at the number of imports that appear in the Champions League teams that feature regularly. Wonder what would happen if the clubs were allowed to spend the money as they thought fit?