Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Policy Change: Off-topic Posts

Support

We would like to inform our members of a policy change regarding Off-Topic posts and our method when dealing with these posts in future.

While we understand the frustration to some of our members with threads going off-topic, and the subsequent moderation of these posts, we have found that sometimes the moderation of off-topic posts causes more issues than the thread going off-topic.

After a discussion with our moderation team, we feel a change of direction in dealing with off-topic postings is required and we hope that the changes will help prevent the issues we had last week:

We as a moderation team will not actively seek out off-topic posts, and this is for two reasons:

1. We realise threads will veer in a different direction naturally, and may start with one topic and naturally end up in another, and this unfortunately is just the nature of forums.
  2. We as a moderation team cannot be expected to read every single post posted on the forum and in all honesty in is just not plausible.

So in future, if a thread goes off-topic and you feel that this disrupts your viewing pleasure, then we suggest that you use our "Report Tool" (which is viewable at the bottom of each post) to notify our moderation team and we will use our judgement on how to best deal with the report.

If our moderator team judges a thread to have gone totally and utterly off-topic, rather than hide these posts, we shall split the thread into another topic and place this into a more appropriate place. We will also create a link to the newly created topic, just for those members who wish to continue participate in that discussion.

Thanks for your understanding on this matter.

The Moderation Team

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
3 hours ago, Support said:

We would like to inform our members of a policy change regarding Off-Topic posts and our method when dealing with these posts in future.

While we understand the frustration to some of our members with threads going off-topic, and the subsequent moderation of these posts, we have found that sometimes the moderation of off-topic posts causes more issues than the thread going off-topic.

After a discussion with our moderation team, we feel a change of direction in dealing with off-topic postings is required and we hope that the changes will help prevent the issues we had last week:

We as a moderation team will not actively seek out off-topic posts, and this is for two reasons:

1. We realise threads will veer in a different direction naturally, and may start with one topic and naturally end up in another, and this unfortunately is just the nature of forums.
  2. We as a moderation team cannot be expected to read every single post posted on the forum and in all honesty in is just not plausible.

So in future, if a thread goes off-topic and you feel that this disrupts your viewing pleasure, then we suggest that you use our "Report Tool" (which is viewable at the bottom of each post) to notify our moderation team and we will use our judgement on how to best deal with the report.

If our moderator team judges a thread to have gone totally and utterly off-topic, rather than hide these posts, we shall split the thread into another topic and place this into a more appropriate place. We will also create a link to the newly created topic, just for those members who wish to continue participate in that discussion.

Thanks for your understanding on this matter.

The Moderation Team

From a very personal point of view ... Although I am not sure above, is the ideal solution to what I accept is a very difficult situation, it does appear to be a big step in the right direction.  I totally understand the feelings of dismay/anger, of any member coming enthusiatically onto a topic/thread, either as a reader or contributor (or even worse, where posters are actively involved) & then find the thread has entered "organic tomatoes or long-john territory" by some demented, more than slightly mad, auld git, that spends far too much time following the "voices in his heid"....That said, although I'm no willing to accept awe the blame, I like to think I am up there wi the best of them.

Again, taking it from my own perspective ... Usually, if a serious thread, is creating interest, I am happy enough, just to follow the development of it (or/&) if the mood takes me, attempt to add a serious contribution. Some threads however perchance. or through necesssity, seem to demand an injection of "attempted" humour ... rightly or wrongly I & a good few others, seem to be happy to "take a walk on the mad side" ...And for others more sane & serious, I accept, this can & will frustrate.

The recent dumping of a bunch of posts (including mind) was I accept, probably justified. But it did (& has) made me reconsider, if the policy of "never allowing a thread to go off-topic" (wise & correct as it is) was compatible to my style of posts/posting ... (whatever that is) And with that in mind, I have been taking a few days off the forum, to try to think this through....Still thinking ... Although above post is helpful in the process.

TDBF has surely got to be, the best of it's kind. Knowledgeable. helpful, honest, genuine, tolerant & fair. And that should always be it's aim...(With or withoot me)

Adblock Detected