Jump to content
The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Any Car Mechanics On the Forum?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Is it normal for a car to have 5 flat (different) batteries within two years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m no petrol head but I’d say no mate.

Alternator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2019 at 23:43, Boba Fett said:

I’m no petrol head but I’d say no mate.

Alternator?

No that was replaced and tested. I have a funny feeling it is the starter motor pulling too much power and draining the battery over time, but the garage is saying it was a faulty battery (Which I would understand if it was just the one, but not 5 in a row).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How old is the car, is it under warranty?

Check the cables to the battery - do they look damaged or corroded?

Are you doing lots of short journeys? The alternator might not be getting enough chance to charge the battery - but if its happening quickly with a brand new battery it sounds like something is draining the battery. Silly question but with it being light nights just now, could there be an internal light on in the car that you havent noticed?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve replaced the battery 5 times? 😮

Have the batteries been charged/tested once gone flat? No way 5 batteries would be gubbed in 2 years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can test for a drain by disconnecting your negative cable from the battery and connecting  a 12v test lamp between the end of that cable and the negative battery terminal. If the lamp lights, something is drawing juice when you think you are switched off.  Depending if and what that was, it could help explain things. Bad (corroded) battery connections could impair the charging of the battery.  All based on the alternator testing good and replacement batteries of course.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Parcbara said:

You can test for a drain by disconnecting your negative cable from the battery and connecting  a 12v test lamp between the end of that cable and the negative battery terminal. If the lamp lights, something is drawing juice when you think you are switched off.  Depending if and what that was, it could help explain things. Bad (corroded) battery connections could impair the charging of the battery.  All based on the alternator testing good and replacement batteries of course.

I'm no at all up on the mechanics of a car ... or a computer either for that matter (better no' tak this further or dwell on this, or eh'll end up feeling a depressed failure) But I like the logic of your suggestion Parc' & it sounds to me, the way to go. My own vehicle is not used too often, or on long journeys regularly & I ended up replacing the battery. The new battery has never let me down & as said before, my vehicle is used only occasionally.

The idea of 5 new consective batteries does not seem right at all ... I'll be interested to hear the final solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be downgrading my stereo system if I were TDB - this cannot be helping! 

Image result for pimped car audio

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

I'd be downgrading my stereo system if I were TDB - this cannot be helping! 

Image result for pimped car audio

HK: Magic or Radio Tay would sound “Awesome “ along with a bit of SABBATH at full pelt. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

HK: Magic or Radio Tay would sound “Awesome “ along with a bit of SABBATH at full pelt. 😂

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I'd be downgrading my stereo system if I were TDB - this cannot be helping! 

Image result for pimped car audio

You know damn well I would never have anything like that in my car...... the tangy eeewwww!!

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sebastiano Nela said:

How old is the car, is it under warranty?

Check the cables to the battery - do they look damaged or corroded?

Are you doing lots of short journeys? The alternator might not be getting enough chance to charge the battery - but if its happening quickly with a brand new battery it sounds like something is draining the battery. Silly question but with it being light nights just now, could there be an internal light on in the car that you havent noticed?

It's not under warranty,

The cables are fine and not damaged or corroded and the connections to the battery are clean with no build up of crap.

The car is used everyday and the garage claims that the alternator and startermoter are good. When this happened to the first battery that is what we thought as well, but the car was last used about 7 pm the night before so no need for any lights.... plus if you leave any lights on there is a warning sound when you open the door that there is a light on.

20 hours ago, dblair said:

You’ve replaced the battery 5 times? 😮

Have the batteries been charged/tested once gone flat? No way 5 batteries would be gubbed in 2 years

Well in honesty, it is just under 3 years, every time that the battery goes flat the garage says that they're dead and they need replaced. The last time it cost us over £90 to get replaced.

19 hours ago, Parcbara said:

You can test for a drain by disconnecting your negative cable from the battery and connecting  a 12v test lamp between the end of that cable and the negative battery terminal. If the lamp lights, something is drawing juice when you think you are switched off.  Depending if and what that was, it could help explain things. Bad (corroded) battery connections could impair the charging of the battery.  All based on the alternator testing good and replacement batteries of course.

The garage as already done this and said that there is nothing on which is draining the battery. We have now booked it in with the Toyota garage instead of using our local garage. Hopefully the can find out the reason why.

5 hours ago, Gedee said:

The idea of 5 new consective batteries does not seem right at all ... I'll be interested to hear the final solution.

So would we bud, so would we!  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

giphy.gif

That looks like the passengers in any council single-decker bus driving up the Broughty Ferry Road near the old Halley's Mill site....the only corrugated road in Scotland? ....and louder than Sabbath/Zep! 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would suggest taking the car to Kevin Pirries on dock street mate. Auto electrical specialists. Ask for Mickey, big Dee and he’ll sort you out 👍🏻

Edited by dblair
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dblair said:

Would suggest taking the car to Kevin Pirries on dock street mate. Auto electrical specialists. Ask for Mickey, big Dee and he’ll sort you out 👍🏻

I have visions of this being a wind up, does he also answer to Mr M Mouse ????? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I have visions of this being a wind up, does he also answer to Mr M Mouse ????? 🤣

Should actually be spelt Micky I think 🙄

No wind up honest guv 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2019 at 22:10, TheDarkBlues said:

Is it normal for a car to have 5 flat (different) batteries within two years?

Any joy with yer power issues mate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dblair said:

Any joy with yer power issues mate? 

Funnily enough, put the car into the Toyota garage in Dundee today and they found the reason for the issue regarding the Battery. Seems that the Car Radio was shorting out and after taking out the fuse it fixed the issue.

So it wasn't the battery after all and all that money spent we could have bought a new car radio :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.