The Dark Blues
Cobra

Highlight of the 2010s

Rate this topic

Highlight of the 2010s  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best moment of the decade?

• Overcoming the 25-point penalty in the Deefiant season
    • Beating Accies to the Championship title
    • Relegating United at Dens in the Doon Derby
    • The 4-0 destruction of Killie at Rugby Park

The decade is coming to an end. Just wondering what Dees think was the highlight.

Let me know if I should add other options.

The Deefiant season was the greatest achievement for me (I met GGH is hospo and he could barely walk - these guys were giving more than what was expected of them as pro footballers).

The day of the Letheren save was massive and a truly magical day for the club.

I voted for the Doon Derby though. Not because of hatred for United. I just think we had to bury the ghosts of the early 80s when they made our ground their spiritual home. It was before my time but 1980 and 1983 still haunted me... until THAT day in 2016.

25 point penalty was magical, I honestly don't think fans of another club could begin to even imagine how that felt. Everyone feeling connected, we could go in at halftime behind and nobody would boo, knowing we'd somehow get something out of the game. 

That was the point I properly fell in love with this club and got hooked. I doubt I'd be a season holder now if that hadn't all happened. 

I'd do anything to win a cup or have a season that gets even close to that.

Doon derby all day long. Best moment of my life(which is sad I know) and I'm married with kids🤣🤣🤣 

And its purely down to my hatred for united 

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Doon derby all day long. Best moment of my life(which is sad I know) and I'm married with kids🤣🤣🤣 

Weighorst says it's tragic for a fan to revel in their rival team's failure.

I don't care who knows it. I was ecstatic when they lost that Uefa Cup final

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

I love the city of Dundee. My late uncle was a dab. My hatred for United is not rational but I hate them with passion. Football is not rational.

Their meltdown in the Mark Kerr final was fantastic. Them losing to the fermers after being convinced they'd win was glorious, but nothing will top the tears shed in the Shankly.

Winning the Championship properly made me a Dundee fan, so I gotta pick that. Though I would've been saved from a lot of pain had they not done that lol...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

Winning the Championship properly made me a Dundee fan, so I gotta pick that. Though I would've been saved from a lot of pain had they not done that lol...

Do most Dees have a good experience that made them become a fan?

My first game was a 5-2 derby defeat. I was so used to the disappointments and frustration I remember being a bit bemused and irritated when we were flavour of the month in the lead-up to the Coca-Cola Cup final against Aberdeen.

Looking back though we actually had a brilliant team with the the likes of McKinlay, McKimmie, Duffy, Coyne, Brown, Wright, Harvey and Rafferty but it's all relative and if your local rivals are slightly better you're pissed off.

19 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I love the city of Dundee. My late uncle was a dab. My hatred for United is not rational but I hate them with passion. Football is not rational.

Their meltdown in the Mark Kerr final was fantastic. Them losing to the fermers after being convinced they'd win was glorious, but nothing will top the tears shed in the Shankly.

My hatred for them is a personal thing. Last dundee game I got to with my dad was against them at dens and we got beat 3-0. Could have been any team but it was them

15 minutes ago, rossbatchelor9 said:

So you havent been since🤣🤣🤣

On a personal level, the most fun I've had at a game during this era is the Doon Derby, closely followed by McCann's winner against Raith in the Deefiant season (I actually said out loud walking doon the Provie road after that game - now THAT'S why I keep going!).

That said, and again I say personally, so I'm not knocking anyone here, but for us to be more satisfied with putting them down on one single night than turning around a 25 point deduction intended to kill us and more likely than not staving off extinction by doing so illustrates worryingly how a lot of Dees do indeed base our success against their failure. 

Not sure if this belongs on the list but I absolutely loved our KT-inspired win that ended (I think) our 10 year wait for a derby win.

KT to Stewart to the Heff. Beautiful football at any level.

I had already moved to Hong Kong and haven't been back home for a good few years so all i have to go on is my memories from the years before that.  Some good and a lot of bad but strangely it's the good ones that come to mind first!  

2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I had already moved to Hong Kong and haven't been back home for a good few years so all i have to go on is my memories from the years before that.  Some good and a lot of bad but strangely it's the good ones that come to mind first!  

Wildly off-topic HK (so apologies) but are you there now during the upheaval? Unbelievably brave defiance from the Hongkongers but I would have the thought ex-pats would be returning home to the UK as the Chinese look to tighten their grip on the region.

I'll nominate something a bit unconventional.

I was a bit delusional but my memories of watching Dundee in the top flight when I was young were quite miserable apart from the derbies where we generally seemed to have a decent record for a while and that odd game every so often where we'd click under Duffy and hammer someone.

When we actually won promotion in our own right, it was an achievement I'd never seen us looking close to in the past. In the season before, we weren't able to offer players more than one year deals as we simply had no way to fund it and it didn't feel like we were able to act as a proper club. Even when we went up with the Rangers debacle, we were relying on signing players who were failing to win contracts a league down and couldn't even find a way to afford to spend money which we knew was coming later so missed out on guys like Stevie MacLean and started the season with a geriatric 'keeper and a back-up who under no circumstances (including injury) was allowed on the pitch.

Hartley got us over the line to take us up and we started the season on this perfect pitch at Dens trying to play good football. It took us a few games to get that first win but I'd say that the moment we went to Rugby Park and won away from home, it was our third win in a row and I'd finally felt that we'd actually made it and Hartley would go on and achieve something with his team. I really thought he was going to perfect the squad when he headed into the next transfer window due to how well he put together that side in a short time period.

In true Dundee style though, we then didn't win again until January and looked like we'd get dragged into the relegation battle with our performances into the new year and alas, the Hartley era didn't quite hit the heights anticipated.

I voted for the Doon Derby but am pleased to see the Deefiant season winning the poll. I recall a fairly prominent player from the 60s era (maybe someone will clarify that) said the Deefiant era was on a par with becoming Scottish champions and I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say. It was an astonishing achievement especially considering we lost around half the squad if I'm not mistaken.

That winner against Raith was truly unforgettable. For some reason I was standing beside the tunnel with my video camera filming the dying seconds when McCann scored that winning goal. Unbelievably my camera died half way through the shot so I missed it live and failed to capture it on tape. Oh well. It was still a great memory to be standing opposite the Derry explosion.

58 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Wildly off-topic HK (so apologies) but are you there now during the upheaval? Unbelievably brave defiance from the Hongkongers but I would have the thought ex-pats would be returning home to the UK as the Chinese look to tighten their grip on the region.

Good to see you back posting Cobra!

I'm in the Philippines now -we left 4 years ago.  Actually, I see it  a wee bit differently in that I don't see this as any attempt by the Chinese to have greater influence in Hong Kong, rather a well-intentioned but politically crazy attempt to introduce an extradition policy between China and Hong Kong.  In itself it's hardly unreasonable but, as always, the people of Hong Kong see anything to do with mainland China as evil and will oppose regardless of the topic.  Poor leadership in Hong Kong has allowed the situation to escalate to where we are now.  The Chinese are showing restraint and i reckon highly unlikely they would send in troops to resolve things.  

• Like 1

Oft!!! Tough One!!! Being a kid/teenager in the 70s/80s I would have said anything that stuck it to those slavering Tangerine Gits would usually win my vote and I most certainly celebrated the Doon Derby !!..... But as Barkblue says I would agree that the Defiant season was something special!! and was more about our achievement rather than "other"teams efforts!!

• Like 1

Voted for the Deefiant season.

That season brought home to me (not that there was much doubt) just how much I love the club and everything associated with it (far too much). 

The way we all came together on and off the park was something very special, to be extremely proud of.

And it was no fluke, given it was for the majority of the season.

A period of our history never to be repeated (hopefully) but cherished and one which confirms that DFC is absolutely unique.

• Star Post 1

10 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Good to see you back posting Cobra!

I'm in the Philippines now -we left 4 years ago.  Actually, I see it  a wee bit differently in that I don't see this as any attempt by the Chinese to have greater influence in Hong Kong, rather a well-intentioned but politically crazy attempt to introduce an extradition policy between China and Hong Kong.  In itself it's hardly unreasonable but, as always, the people of Hong Kong see anything to do with mainland China as evil and will oppose regardless of the topic.  Poor leadership in Hong Kong has allowed the situation to escalate to where we are now.  The Chinese are showing restraint and i reckon highly unlikely they would send in troops to resolve things.  

I really appreciate your first line HK as I remember how annoyed you were by support of "The Pundit".

It's fascinating to read your take on Hong Kong. The Chinese have put the Uyghurs in concentration camps solely because of their beliefs and yet they are showing remarkable restraint in Hong Kong, It seems a little odd to me. Do the Chinese really give a sh*t about HK being a former British colony?

I'm surprised to hear you moved to the Philippines. Duterte is something else.

• Like 1