Jump to content
The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Watching Scotland Is Like Watching....

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Dundee!

All huff and puff without getting anywhere!

Pass-back, pass-back and the goal keeper is looking for to do a pass-back..... and when Scotland do get in the final third they have a nose bleed!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iceland are 36th in the rankings with a population smaller than Tayside and we're 48th. If they can punch above their weight year after year surely we can be competitive.

Seems to me that no manager has been able to inspire the players since Walter Smith and Alex McLeish (first time around).

Steve Clarke had an astonishing record at Killie but his results in high profile jobs have been pretty poor. Maybe he belongs at a certain level where the scrutiny is minimal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Dundee!

All huff and puff without getting anywhere!

Pass-back, pass-back and the goal keeper is looking for to do a pass-back..... and when Scotland do get in the final third they have a nose bleed!

😁 Said similar in the Scotland v Russia post on Friday. 

Do you think it’s something to do with the dark blue and white? Maybe a change of colour may improve us🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lack of desire to get players forward when on attack as there is a fear of being caught on break.....due to a complete lack of skill on the ball and thus the ability to hold on to it. Plus a work ethic and fitness levels missing that compare to the worlds best.

It makes one wonder what these games are for when we can still qualify thru the playoffs in what has become a crazy thought out tourney. Surprised it is not sponsored by Tunnocks!

Edited by Billy Campbell's Ghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say though the Belgians are a fantastic team! That first goal was in our net 14 seconds after we take a free kick on the edge of their box, it’s no wonder we were scared to get caught on the break after that. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland were on an upward trajectory when the t*ts in charge decided to get rid of Strachan; we'd be in a better situation now if he'd stayed on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the problem is something to do with the coaching of the coaches. Same thing throughout the Scottish game. Lack of basic ball playing skills, lack of tactical awareness and complete lack of fitness. Can't play high tempo because they are not fit enough, can't press high up the pitch because they are not fast enough. Need to get coaches who understand what talents a good /great footballer must have, instead of teaching them how to train kids who will whilst willing and keen just don't have what it takes to go to higher levels.

British Olympics took a decision to look for Sporting Giants female athletes to see if they would be good at rowing. Heather Stanning and Helen glover who won Gold in London came from this programme. Think Gordon Strachan needs all the support he can get to try to bring new thought processes into Scottish Football coaching and hopefully DFC will be a big beneficiary.

strange that a wee footballer might actually make a big difference to DFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BCram said:

Think the problem is something to do with the coaching of the coaches. Same thing throughout the Scottish game. Lack of basic ball playing skills, lack of tactical awareness and complete lack of fitness. Can't play high tempo because they are not fit enough, can't press high up the pitch because they are not fast enough. Need to get coaches who understand what talents a good /great footballer must have, instead of teaching them how to train kids who will whilst willing and keen just don't have what it takes to go to higher levels.

British Olympics took a decision to look for Sporting Giants female athletes to see if they would be good at rowing. Heather Stanning and Helen glover who won Gold in London came from this programme. Think Gordon Strachan needs all the support he can get to try to bring new thought processes into Scottish Football coaching and hopefully DFC will be a big beneficiary.

strange that a wee footballer might actually make a big difference to DFC.

Exactly this. I remember when hearts played Tottenham in the europa league about 10years ago and the tottenham team were giants compared to the hearts side. And even when we played Blackpool in pre season, they were monsters and if it wasnt their 1st pre season game they would ha e destroyed us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cobra said:

Iceland are 36th in the rankings with a population smaller than Tayside and we're 48th. If they can punch above their weight year after year surely we can be competitive.

Seems to me that no manager has been able to inspire the players since Walter Smith and Alex McLeish (first time around).

Steve Clarke had an astonishing record at Killie but his results in high profile jobs have been pretty poor. Maybe he belongs at a certain level where the scrutiny is minimal.

I suppose Clarke has just had two games against the world no 1s and then the world cup quarter finalists, think it's very early days. Pretty sure Wales and NI took beatings for a while before they improved under their new management.

I think the key issue right now is that we are just very weak defensively. Craig Brown had Hendry and Calderwood then Smith/McLeish had Davie Weir (who was an excellent player) then guys like Caldwell and McManus who were playing for Celtic in the Champions League group stage and a lot of the time considered quite competent. Weir's departure and then decline of other defenders has been an ongoing issue for the last nine years and despite Strachan having a combination of Hanley and Martin who wee playing quite well, both of them then struggled club wise and it's been a struggle to get something competent.

We're not talking about needing world class players but when we talk about other smaller countries who seem to be doing well, they've generally got at least one centre back who is a regular in a reputable league and/or has European experience who seems to have the ability to bring the others up around them (Iceland specifically had Ragnar Sigurðsson who was one of the best centre backs in Russia at the time of Euro 2016). If we're struggling in other areas, we can maybe do a few awkward fixes (like Smith and McLeish who had no left back for most of their tenure with Gary Naysmith injured) but centre back is the hardest position to fix in that way.

We badly need McKenna or Souttar (or whoever else) to get a good move ASAP with a manager who rates them and trusts them to play at a higher level. It'd also help if Hanley plays regularly for Norwich and puts his injury hell (and transfer to Newcastle that stalled his career) behind him this season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland and Dundee similar problems, slow getting the ball forward, negative ball retention and no movement off the ball and nobody taking individual responsibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Exactly this. I remember when hearts played Tottenham in the europa league about 10years ago and the tottenham team were giants compared to the hearts side. And even when we played Blackpool in pre season, they were monsters and if it wasnt their 1st pre season game they would ha e destroyed us

Aye the Tynecastle game was amazing as Hearts were hammers throwers and big up here then Spurs bossed them, 5 nil maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland are ranked 48th in the world out of 211 members. We've got a population of 5m. Russia (pop. 140m) are one place ahead of us. Egypt (pop. 100m) are one place behind us. Are we really massive underachievers for a small country?

It's not a great period in our history but aren't we doing ok for a small country?

Lithuania are a country of nearly 3m and they are 130th in the world. They really are a joke for a country of that size.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Scotland are ranked 48th in the world out of 211 members. We've got a population of 5m. Russia (pop. 140m) are one place ahead of us. Egypt (pop. 100m) are one place behind us. Are we really massive underachievers for a small country?

It's not a great period in our history but aren't we doing ok for a small country?

Lithuania are a country of nearly 3m and they are 130th in the world. They really are a joke for a country of that size.

 

In spite of having the second highest population of any of the home nations, we're way behind the other four.

We're also miles behind Croatia, Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria, Slovakia, Serbia and Iceland. We have a bigger population than most of those and in others football isn't even the number one sport.

Compared to other European countries, we're massively underachieving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OCDee said:

In spite of having the second highest population of any of the home nations, we're way behind the other four.

We're also miles behind Croatia, Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria, Slovakia, Serbia and Iceland. We have a bigger population than most of those and in others football isn't even the number one sport.

Compared to other European countries, we're massively underachieving.

Wales are 14th in the Uefa rankings thanks to having a world class attacker in Gareth Bale. Northern Ireland are 18th, the Republic are 20nd and we are 28th. We want to be in the top 20 but being behind Turkey, Bosnia, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Russia is hardly a disgrace. These countries love football as much as us and if we don't have a big population I don't see why we should expect to doing better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Wales are 14th in the Uefa rankings thanks to having a world class attacker in Gareth Bale. Northern Ireland are 18th, the Republic are 20nd and we are 28th. We want to be in the top 20 but being behind Turkey, Bosnia, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Russia is hardly a disgrace. These countries love football as much as us and if we don't have a big population I don't see why we should expect to doing better. 

Fair enough Cobra.

The way I see it, we're behind lots of countries we should be ahead of and ahead of maybe Greece and Bulgaria who I wouldn't expect us to be above. We should be doing better.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanna know why we don't produce great hard working players?

 

Because the youth are spoilt and ruin and damage everything they get. They set fire to plastic pitches and doing wheelies on grass pitches on public parks. 

 

Spoilt and just disgraceful and parents either make excuses or don't even care. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cobra said:

Scotland are ranked 48th in the world out of 211 members. We've got a population of 5m. Russia (pop. 140m) are one place ahead of us. Egypt (pop. 100m) are one place behind us. Are we really massive underachievers for a small country?

It's not a great period in our history but aren't we doing ok for a small country?

Lithuania are a country of nearly 3m and they are 130th in the world. They really are a joke for a country of that size.

I think it's a 'yes & no', for different reasons. Comparisons with other countries can be both reassuring, and baffling (due to presence of exceptional player(s)), as other posts highlight.

Just catching up on the Scotland lowlights / Belgium highlights, and despite Clarke's tactical abilities, man-management skills, we looked very pedestrian. We've also apparently forgotten how to defend (collectively & individually). Just as a couple of examples, O'Donnell has looked very poor in the 2 games, and who the f*** is the clown Cooper, appallingly poor at marking, reading the game, stopping players, winning tackles....and he plays for Leeds, apparently?....he should maybe study old videos of Gordon McQueen. 

If Steve Clarke is given time & patience, he might find the core of a squad that can improve our results & ranking. but we tend to over-react to each campaign's adversities & change it all again.

[ps...forgot to add, an international-standard player has the ability to raise their club-level game another notch, boosted by playing with & against top quality players. Even Hegarty & Narey could do that when selected occasionally. For too long, Scotland have had very few of this type of player....good SPL/EPL guys, but that was/is their top game] 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OCDee said:

Scotland were on an upward trajectory when the t*ts in charge decided to get rid of Strachan; we'd be in a better situation now if he'd stayed on.

Well OCD, if you are right maybe (& I mean in time & indirectly) Scotlands loss will be DFC's gain.

Who knows what the future holds? And to be honest I have lost interest in International Football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.