The Dark Blues
Cobra

Our Forwards

Rate this topic

We're in Scotland's second division and we have Kane Hemmings, Danny Johnson and Andrew Nelson.

Is that not a pretty f**cking good situation?

Would we rather have Mark Stewart and John Baird and Colin Nish? I don't think so.

Our team has a lot of room for improvement but I have to say our frontline is quality.

• Like 6

Not shown enough but . Johnson fine well v Aberdeen and Nelson v ict but link up , hold up and chance creation not enough . Games not played on reputation need more 

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

We're in Scotland's second division and we have Kane Hemmings, Danny Johnson and Andrew Nelson.

Would we rather have Mark Stewart and John Baird and Colin Nish? I don't think so.

Our team has a lot of room for improvement but I have to say our frontline is quality.

Agree mate, got to be our best frontline in a few years... however it’s all well an good having a 12 Gauge shotgun primed and ready to blow a hole in the opposition goal but with nae ammunition being supplied from midfield, we might as well have a water pistol..

Hopefully mcdaid, Todd, mcpake (only seen him once against caley and liked what I saw tbh) etc.. show some bravery and confidence to get to the byline in coming games and maybe supply the crosses from wide areas to our starving strikers, be more direct and hurt the opposition in different ways, since we don’t have a classic number 10 in Scott Allan or GGH then we have to find other ways to penetrate defences and I actually think there is quality there.

Edited by Derrygunner
  • Like 1

Hemmings hold up play is exceptional but hes holding the ball up for no support to arrive. Forwards arent our problem, the problem is creating the opportunities for them. Johnsons finishing is very good and Nelson's energy is outstanding but it's all for nothing with no support for the midfield 

• Like 4

Sat in the Main Stand on Saturday which was a new perspective and felt like I could see parts of the game better and hear the players.

There were so many times where Meekings had the ball in defence and Hemmings was screaming his head off and charging forward only for him to hesitate and the window being gone, often then ending up under pressure and just hoofing it poorly when Hemmings wasn't in a good position. A similar story with Byrne and Ness in the middle who always wanted to contain, I don't dislike either and I think Byrne in particular could be a good defensive midfield player but they need to be playing things a lot faster if we're relying on them to attack.

I thought one of the games last season where we actually created a lot was St Mirren away on the first day of the season and most of that was down to Caulker linking up with Mendy and using his pace over the top. When Caulker left, we never really had a defender who would take that initiative again and the only player who I can remember who was similar playing out of defence in some way was Spanish Jon and all the stattos loved him. I think we've got to really drill the defensive players we have and just encourage them to not be scared to try a ball over the top when they hear the shout.

I'm not encouraging us to go total hoofball but I do think we've got to be much more confident with faster play in general, the run is being made and even if it isn't perfect then it's likely to put a lot of pressure on the defence to deal with it. Good long passing is a skill and we've got forwards and wingers who would work stuff out of it if we do it well and balance it fine. It feels like we're still doing McCann level stuff where the idea of holding possession is so well drilled in (which is great, I hate needlessly giving the ball away) to the point where it slows things down far too much. Young Finlay has a vision and technical ability which has got us by until now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, harry94 said:

Sat in the Main Stand on Saturday which was a new perspective and felt like I could see parts of the game better and hear the players.

There were so many times where Meekings had the ball in defence and Hemmings was screaming his head off and charging forward only for him to hesitate and the window being gone, often then ending up under pressure and just hoofing it poorly when Hemmings wasn't in a good position. A similar story with Byrne and Ness in the middle who always wanted to contain, I don't dislike either and I think Byrne in particular could be a good defensive midfield player but they need to be playing things a lot faster if we're relying on them to attack.

I thought one of the games last season where we actually created a lot was St Mirren away on the first day of the season and most of that was down to Caulker linking up with Mendy and using his pace over the top. When Caulker left, we never really had a defender who would take that initiative again and the only player who I can remember who was similar playing out of defence in some way was Spanish Jon and all the stattos loved him. I think we've got to really drill the defensive players we have and just encourage them to not be scared to try a ball over the top when they hear the shout.

I'm not encouraging us to go total hoofball but I do think we've got to be much more confident with faster play in general, the run is being made and even if it isn't perfect then it's likely to put a lot of pressure on the defence to deal with it. Good long passing is a skill and we've got forwards and wingers who would work stuff out of it if we do it well and balance it fine. It feels like we're still doing McCann level stuff where the idea of holding possession is so well drilled in (which is great, I hate needlessly giving the ball away) to the point where it slows things down far too much. Young Finlay has a vision and technical ability which has got us by until now.

I've been saying for seasons that we need to able to mix it up. Go long when it's the right option but still be able to retain and build from the back when it's not.

Unfortunately from Hartley's latter days through three other managers it's something we don't even try, never mind have managed to master.

unfortunately with the current side we cant play two of them together its just not working so of the 3 only 1 should start as things stand . 

On 10/09/2019 at 22:18, Cobra said:

Only a good situation if you can do something with them that gets results though.

Edited by Dondeh

our front three are good quality but we need to create more for them. Nelson in particular looks like the type who'll get frustrated and go charging about the pitch on his own and end up either injured or sent off.

3 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Only a good situation if you can do something with them that gets results though.

agree. Looks like they need to find a way for any 2 of them to play for each other. Also be useful to have much quicker pass overthe top from full backs and miss out midfield completely.

On 11/09/2019 at 09:25, harry94 said:

Sam fisher has a decent long pass but is obviously out on loan. Meekings tends to hit the ball very flat and probably can't play that type of ball.