Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The Cost of Watching Scottish Football

Double Blue

4 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Not at all and I was not being rude but just could not understand the contradiction in your post of having no interest in DFC or football?

I think my query was a fair one and had no malice intended.

I have to be honest and admit my first thought on reading Deeteck's post was, if he has no interest in Dundee FC or football, then why would he be looking at a Dundee Football Club forum?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

It's no great surprise than we are charging more than Mickey Mouse top flight clubs likes Livi and Accies, who will eventually return to where they belong.

Dundee and United can't afford to hand out peasant wages and be chilled about the prospect of dropping to the third division. We need to act like a top flight clubs to retain a top flight support. 

I’m on holiday in Copenhagen which most folk consider to be a ridiculously expensive place to stay but have managed to get a ticket for the Brøndby game tomorrow afternoon for 90 DKK which is less than £11.  If I had still been here on Thursday night I could have got a ticket for the UEFA cup for FC Copenhagen for about £14.  I’ve watched Dutch football and Austrian football for much the same price and have to say the quality on Holland and Austria was way above Scottish football for half the price.  Scottish prices are just ridiculous and the attendances prove the point with even posters like the chap above saying enough is enough and I have to admit I don’t go to as many games as I used to as I find the price hard to justify to myself.  I’ve said before standard ticket prices shouldn’t be more than two hours of the minimum wage and have never found anyone that didn’t think that sounded fair.  If your standard working man or woman has to work close on half a day to go to the football for two hours on a Saturday or almost a full day to take his whole family there is something perversely wrong with the ticket prices.  

• Like 3

I think that is probably a barrier to some folk that won’t be crossed but personally I think it’s still a bit too high.  I think closer to £15 as I say 2 hours work would psychologically be a selling point.  Even if you don’t have a great paid job and the family/mortgage/bills etc eat a lot of your cash it’s staying late for a couple of hours to pay for a treat or doing an extra shift to allow you and the kids to go to the derby and a big cup game.  Chris Boyd had a long rant on Sky about football being a middle class sport for kids with the cost of hiring pitches etc but it’s a middle class sport in the stands due to ticket prices.

• Like 1

Club lost half a million last year and fans expect a team at least capable of challenging in this league with far less revenue coming in.

it is expensive but it’s kinda needed.

Would supporters be happy paying £20 if it meant we couldn’t afford half decent players and putting a challenge in?

It’s not as cut and dry as that.  I’ve just watched a game where the attendance was close on 17000 in a 23000 seater stadium.  The game was good, the standard was better than the upper end of the SPL apart from the Old Firm and as I said last night it cost less than £11 to get in.  Looking about there were more scarves, flags and replica shirts in the stands than I think I have ever seen at Dens the home end was a sea of yellow.  People had a bit of food and a couple of beers and probably spent the same as I would going to Dens but got a whole lot more. The difference is that if I couldn’t afford the beers, the food and the merchandise I could still probably afford the match ticket.  There were teenagers and blokes in their early 20s that are priced out of Scottish football on the whole there in their droves and as young men do they had a good song and chant and the atmosphere was cracking.  Best entertainment and value I’ve had at the football since I watched Rapid Vienna for a similar price.  Having prices that only 4000 Dundonians can afford or are prepared to pay seems like crazy business sense if by halving the price more than double the people would be interested in going.

Adblock Detected