The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

I've got to say as calamitous as some of his defending was I'd 💯% rather him as 3rd pick centre half than meekings.

Tbh I struggle to think of a handful of good performances from him since he signed.

He's slow, can't turn, can't pass and isnt great in the air against big strikers. Above all he ball watches constantly.

I'd ban him from the weights and get him to lose some muscle so he can get around the pitch better. 

I'd also get him practising his forward pass. Every single time he gets it he looks sideways instead of forward, slowing down the play unnecessarily.

Then I'd get Jimmy nic to give him individual coaching on how to watch for the opponent not the ball. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 2

7 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I've got to say as calamitous as some of his defending was I'd 💯% rather him as 3rd pick centre half than meekings.

Tbh I struggle to think of a handful of good performances from him since he signed.

He's slow, can't turn, can't pass and isnt great in the air against big strikers. Above all he ball watches constantly.

I'd ban him from the weights and get him to lose some muscle so he can get around the pitch better. 

I'd also get him practising his forward pass. Every single time he gets it he looks sideways instead of forward, slowing down the play unnecessarily.

Then I'd get Jimmy nic to give him individual coaching on how to watch for the opponent not the ball. 

The day I reminisce about Genseric Kusunga is the day I give up. 😉 

Agree with every word about Meekings though. 

• Funny 2

7 minutes ago, barkblue said:

The day I reminisce about Genseric Kusunga is the day I give up. 😉 

Agree with every word about Meekings though. 

I take it you'll not be joining the new DSC I've been working on then, The Big Gensy Dee Dark Blues?.😁

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I take it you'll not be joining the new DSC I've been working on then, The Big Gensy Dee Dark Blues?.😁

What do you get if you join? Two own goals and a penalty for handball? 

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, barkblue said:

What do you get if you join? Two own goals and a penalty for handball? 

I was going to offer free coach travel to all members but unfortunately the driver said he could only turn up 1 week in 3.😁

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I was going to offer free coach travel to all members but unfortunately the driver said he could only turn up 1 week in 3.😁

1 week in 3? That's ambitious! Where do I sign up?? 

8 minutes ago, barkblue said:

1 week in 3? That's ambitious! Where do I sign up?? 

I think the driver might actually be the big man himself, upped his game though if he's performing once every 3.

11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I think the driver might actually be the big man himself, upped his game though if he's performing once every 3.

If the big man is driving we'll be lucky if the bus doesn't end up on its roof about 300 miles from the ground! 

Would anyone take Julen back for a season as cover. He was injured heaps for us but he played almost a full season in Spain last season. He knows the club and Scottish football and was half decent.

9 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Got to agree with all of that.  I would also add in a lack of communication and it must be nearly a full house.  The ball watching thing reminds me of when I'm telling my young lad (who plays CB) that he has to learn to keep an eye on his man and also on what's happening in front of him.  If you pick it up early enough I think it becomes 2nd nature.  Meekings has either always had a weakness in this aspect of his play or he's lost it (temporarily I hope) owing to a lack of a significant run of games.  Unless he improves he will cost us goals.  He might prevent a few with some last ditch blocks but that is in his job description - being a chronic ball watcher isn't.

• Star Post 1

35 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Would anyone take Julen back for a season as cover. He was injured heaps for us but he played almost a full season in Spain last season. He knows the club and Scottish football and was half decent.

Yes I would pay for his airfare and throw in Gadz as well all deemed no good by a good few but would be starters now 

• Like 1

Would take Konrad in a heartbeat. Jules second, then absolute nobody after that. No Kusunga. No Gadzhalov and especially no Gomis. 

9 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Would take Konrad in a heartbeat. Jules second, then absolute nobody after that. No Kusunga. No Gadzhalov and especially no Gomis. 

Konrad was one of Hartley's big errors. Once he left, I think we realised how much worse it could get.

Kusunga and Gomis together though are the pair who on one day, would be comfortable dealing with Messi and Ronaldo together and on another, would be tangled by Steven Doris.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I think he'd probably break with the intensity of things here. I remember he was saying that he found the culture very different and it did seem that he just couldn't handle certain things before he broke down. He'd usually have 2 or 3 games back from injury making mistakes and not being totally fit then come on to a game for 2 or 3 only for the cycle to repeat again.

I'd rather go with someone like Niall Keown on a short term deal or just take a chance on one of the free agents down south.

I thought that Julen was pretty pish tbh, very prone to giving away fouls or penalties and totally f**cking up games.

Konrad was prob the best out of the few mentioned above but he wasn't that great either.

Especially when it came to derby games and he was always getting beat in the air to smaller guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I thought that Julen was pretty pish tbh, very prone to giving away fouls or penalties and totally f**cking up games.

Konrad was prob the best out of the few mentioned above but he wasn't that great either.

Especially when it came to derby games and he was always getting beat in the air to smaller guys. 

I think the Derby thing is a bit harsh tbf.

Hartley lined up his first couple of derbies very very attacking and he ended up in completely ridiculous situations with 3 on 2 and United's attack at that time being insanely good and was insanely exposed repeatedly and really had no chance. He did very little wrong in any derby but just happened to be the guy on his a**e when the flood of attacks come and everybody else was out of the game and McPake had a habit of being a bit rash in charging in for stuff which made it a bit worse.

For me, he was probably an average mid table top flight defender who was easily the most consistent defender Hartley signed.