The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Graham Dorrans???  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Sign or dont sign?

If he’s fit and passed a medical then 100%. Likes to drive forward, can pick a pass as well as make those third man runs in behind the strikers. Would easily be the best player in the championship by a country mile. Unfortunately I don’t think our finances will allow this to happen 🙁

• Like 1

I think this is a distraction. There's more in need of fixing than bringing in a single player who has not got a history of playing a lot recently. The comparison is KT. I think we only really got going once he left and did not have the problem of playing in one set up with him and a different set up when he needed to recover. Just my opinion, and I can see the attraction if the player we were signing actually was the player who he was a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCram said:

I think this is a distraction. There's more in need of fixing than bringing in a single player who has not got a history of playing a lot recently. The comparison is KT. I think we only really got going once he left and did not have the problem of playing in one set up with him and a different set up when he needed to recover. Just my opinion, and I can see the attraction if the player we were signing actually was the player who he was a couple of years ago.

If he passes a stringent medical test and is clear of injuries then we should give him a chance at least up until January to prove himself and take it from there. As many have been saying recently we are crying out for good attacking midfielder and he does seem to fit the bill.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

If he passes a stringent medical test and is clear of injuries then we should give him a chance at least up until January to prove himself and take it from there. As many have been saying recently we are crying out for good attacking midfielder and he does seem to fit the bill.

A very fair point of view. What happens if he is a big success? My view is he will be off to a much wealthier team and we are under even more pressure in January. If he fails to stay healthy, or is crocked by some of the robust tackles that seem to be allowed in this division, we have not solved a problem. 

We need, IMO, to work on the training ground to build a better team, rather than persist in trying to buy a short term fix. I'm not gunning for Dorrans, merely trying to suggest that we have tried this type of approach before and in the end it didn't work. Caulker was another similar situation, but his issues were not physical.

6 minutes ago, BCram said:

A very fair point of view. What happens if he is a big success? My view is he will be off to a much wealthier team and we are under even more pressure in January.

If he comes in and is a success then it only helps us as a team and if he does go in January then good luck to him. If we bring him in just now then the club should treat this as a short term solution to our midfield problem and McPake should still be looking for someone when the January window opens.

If he fails to stay healthy, or is crocked by some of the robust tackles that seem to be allowed in this division, we have not solved a problem. 

That is the chance you take with every player regardless of their history or not. We sign a player who has never had an injury in his career and he could get injured in his first game for us. Those are the chances you take either way. Just because he was injured before doesn't mean he will get injured again and if we keep that train of thought, we would never sign players.

We need, IMO, to work on the training ground to build a better team, rather than persist in trying to buy a short term fix.

The point is, we are short of players right now in that department and we are crying out for some creativity to help our forwards and he fits that bill. Our manager could have gone the easy route and brought in a whole load of new players, but he seems to have gone more with the quality than quantity and Dorran would definitely bring a bit of quality to our side.

I'm not gunning for Dorrans, merely trying to suggest that we have tried this type of approach before and in the end it didn't work. Caulker was another similar situation, but his issues were not physical.

That's like saying I bought a bad apple before so I am not going to eat another apple again. Bringing in players is situational and will come with their own set of issues.

We also could have sold Caulker for over £1.5mil and that would have been seen as a good bit of business, but he chose to stay at Dens. Also, Caulker came up to Scotland thinking he could escape his demons and it didn't and that is why it failed with him. Dorran's injury was mush different, and he isn't running away from things and all he wants to do is get back to playing again.

• Star Post 1

If we can get an experienced pro who can dictate the midfield, and pick out 1/2 mobile strikers with a quick forward pass, and bring our wing-backs into the game, this might make all the difference to our performances....and reduce the perceived 'need' for the half dozen other players/positions frequently suggested as 'essential'.

A gamble? I think all the players we sign are, to some degree.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Head Shaker said:

Stringent medicals are fine but he still won't be ready to play for weeks maybe longer 

That's not true. Dorrans had trained with Rangers during the close season and made two appearances with Rangers at the start of the season (albeit in the cups). He left Rangers because he knew he wasn't going to get game time due to their recent signings.

Someone needs to do a risk assessment on him and in line with a cost/benefit analysis make any decision from there.

Seriously though, is he what we really need, bearing in mind his injury history?  I've a sneaking suspicion that Ness is going to be 'having a few knocks' so If possible I'd be looking for a hard as nails, box to box championship player who we'll get 30 games a season out of.

Either that or Gary Harkins.😉

23 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Either that or Gary Harkins.

Harkins is more crocked that Dorrans right now lol

2 hours ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

If there is a chance to get him should JMP go for it or not?

We require a big strong, tackling midfielder, far more than Dorans, as our current central midfielders, haven't broke sweat or looked interested, up till now this season, major attitudes, require sorted out ASAP, or we will finish 6/7th this season, JMP get it sorted, as these are taking the PHISH, it's f**cking obvious.

• Disagree 1

I’m really surprised 90% are in favour of him signing.

Good player in his day BUT very expensive and very risky.

11 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Tbh, I think if he's seriously a prospect, it'll be because he won't be able to pass a medical elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Tbh, I think if he's seriously a prospect, it'll be because he won't be able to pass a medical elsewhere.

Just as well we didn't sign Scott Wright, he's out for the season with a knee injury. Pity for the lad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boba Fett said:

Every signing is risky. Will he be anymore expensive (and risky) than Ness, Forster, Hamilton or Hemmings say?

1 hour ago, Blue4evr said:

Just as well we didn't sign Scott Wright, he's out for the season with a knee injury. Pity for the lad.

Sad news for the boy. Hopefully makes a full recovery.

Edited by WeighorstsWang

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

So why would he pass ours? Worrying implication that we are not stringent enough?