Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The Curious Case of Kane Hemmings

J_Kitamirike

Where do I start with this one....

I absolutely love Kane Hemmings and he's probably my favourite Dundee player over the past 5 seasons. 

His first spell at the club was magic and he was a goal machine for us in the premiership. Ever since he left we've tried to replace him but couldn't.

He's now back at the club and we were all delighted especially as on paper,  he brings guaranteed goals.

Our star player now finds himself on the bench and it gives me a touch of anxiety knowing the quality we have stuck on that bench. 

Dare I say it, but do we really need him?  Johnson is more than capable of being that goal threat and plays a similar game to Kane.

I know it's early days and I'm desperate for him to perform but I worry we don't create enough for him and his second spell with us will be disappointing plus we only play one up top. 

A waste in my opinion...

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
8 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I absolutely love Kane Hemmings and he's probably my favourite Dundee player over the past 5 seasons. 

His first spell at the club was magic and he was a goal machine for us in the premiership. Ever since he left we've tried to replace him but couldn't.

He's now back at the club and we were all delighted especially as on paper,  he brings guaranteed goals.

Our star player now finds himself on the bench and it gives me a touch of anxiety knowing the quality we have stuck on that bench. 

Dare I say it, but do we really need him?  Johnson is more than capable of being that goal threat and plays a similar game to Kane.

I know it's early days and I'm desperate for him to perform but I worry we don't create enough for him and his second spell with us will be disappointing plus we only play one up top. 

A waste in my opinion...

I think his confidence is probably a bit low. If you look back to the 4-0 Hamilton game at Dens in his first spell, where I think he scored a hat-trick, as an example, Kane scored without any real service. Hoofs from our box were met with a decent first touch and then the strength and confidence to take on and out muscle a number of Hamilton defenders before scoring. There no doubt Hamilton were pretty poor defensively but Kane didn't know that at the time and played a great games as a one man strike force. So he can do it we just need to find a way of unlocking the potential that he has. In saying all that though I do think we've got a major problem with the strikers we have at the club with at least one of them being unhappy from week to week. With the benefit of hindsight I'd say two lesser players would've probably served us better than one (on paper) standout.

13 minutes ago, Bobby Dee said:

He can’t live on his last journey at Dens - needs to show a greater appetite .

the worry for me is does  he now want it enough 

He does look out of sorts, I don't know his personal circumstances but I wonder whether he's up here without family?. He left Dens the last time to be closer to family so I'm not sure coming back here just because we were the highest bidders will serve us, or him, too well. I think we've got to make him feel as welcome as possible and hope that a happy player can find his shooting boots again.

I think it's a mix of not being quite match fit and maybe lacking  a bit of confidence. 

We all know the quality he has and sure he'll come good. 

We haven't been particularly good but are only 4 points off top. 

If we can find away of getting Johnson and Henmings to play together without getting over run in midfield we'll be set.

We just need to stay in touch for now until it clicks which I'm sure it will.

Getting Dorrans in even until January would give us a massive lift amd the creativity we're crying out for.

Hemmings didn't exactly set the heather alight when he first came here. It took an injury to Loy before he started getting game time and he then started banging in the goals.

If we can sort out our midfield players getting further up the park and supplying our forwards then we will start scoring goals.

Makes a change from the last few years where we never had a decent striker, now we have three and we should let them battle it out for their places, it creates more competition and willingness to score goals, which can only be good for us in the long run.

1 hour ago, J_Kitamirike said:

A waste in my opinion...

I can't see the problem personally. If we only had Nelson and Johnson we'd all be saying that we're light up top and short of numbers. Would we rather we'd brought in someone with less of a track record than Hemmings so it wasn't a 'waste' having him on the bench?

Johnson has been excellent so far. He deserved to start yesterday and I'm pleased McPake had the strength to pick the right team and not the 'name' player, as he maybe has been up to now.

Will Johnson manage to score enough goals on his own though? Probably not. No one scores every game, no one stays fit/avoids suspension every week and players can have dips in form. With 25 minutes to go yesterday we had the luxury of replacing one really good striker with another and then still bringing on another after that to play in a deeper role. 

Surely that's a good position to be in and one we've been crying out for for seasons? 

That all said Kane does look a little out of sorts but it's early days and he has scored since his return so it's not all been bad news. It took a while to strike up a partnership last time when he was here and for him to hit top form. If I've one disappointment from yesterday, it's that young McPake had to go off before Kane came on, because he was providing the sort of service Hemmings could thrive off. 

What I'd give for a squad that has the strength and depth right across it that our frontline does right now. 

His first spell with us saw him on the bench for a long time until he found his range.

And we had a much better supporting cast at that time providing him with chances.

Given time he will come good again - we are fortunate to have Johnson and Nelson to compliment him and keep us scoring until he does.

Adblock Detected