Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Jack Hamilton

SaintMarieDees

It's over a year since we signed Hamilton from Hearts and there are still doubts over his ability. From what i have seen from him this season, i feel like he has potential to be a very good shot stopper. However, he constantly fails to deal with anything in his 6 yard box, i come to wonder if it is the coaching he is receiving or it is just how he is as a keeper, Thoughts?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Maybe there's something in the coaching. Not criticising the one to one stuff he gets, just think that maybe the club need to have a think about why we are so vulnerable to crosses, and what Hamilton is expected to do. Thought that Bain regressed from his initial commanding control of his area and felt that it was something to do with the way that defenders in front of him seemed to change very frequently.

Could hear Hamilton very clearly telling the defenders to push out and try to hold a line higher up the pitch against Alloa. It does look as though he prefers to push/punch shots away. Gives the defence a boost if he catches a cross and I'd hope that he manages to catch more crosses in future.

He's started 10 competitive games this season and has had 6 clean sheets.

Saves a penalty which in the end won us 3 points on Saturday.

Excellently punches a very dangerous one clear in his 6 yard box on Saturday.

Catches at least one or two very dangerous high balls in to our box a game that very few people in the stadium expect him to catch cleanly.

Not an overly commanding keeper in his box as you said like big Rab was for example but not sure we could have asked for much more from him this season bar the howler at East End Park. He's young and improving too.

2 minutes ago, BCram said:

Maybe there's something in the coaching. Not criticising the one to one stuff he gets, just think that maybe the club need to have a think about why we are so vulnerable to crosses, and what Hamilton is expected to do. Thought that Bain regressed from his initial commanding control of his area and felt that it was something to do with the way that defenders in front of him seemed to change very frequently.

Could hear Hamilton very clearly telling the defenders to push out and try to hold a line higher up the pitch against Alloa. It does look as though he prefers to push/punch shots away. Gives the defence a boost if he catches a cross and I'd hope that he manages to catch more crosses in future.

I completely agree mate, i felt that when Bain came he would command his area and claimed everything but after a season with us, this began to change, he wouldn't come off his line. I distinctly remember the game against  Aberdeen when we got hammered 7-0 at dens; he was glued to his line costing us about 4 goals. Fingers crossed that Jack starts getting into the habit of coming off his line and commanding his area as i think he has some potential to be good for us.

In his DeeTV interview, Hamilton refers to stability in the defence in front of him as a key factor in his/a keeper's game, I think he said the shutouts are partly due to an improvement in that this season....though we've still had a good few changes, given the changes in personnel. 

Getting the defence further out when we're defending high balls is definitely going to help a keeper deal with the ball....having to climb over your own defenders in the 6 yard box makes his job harder, far more likely to bump into someone when his eye's on a high ball.

24 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

In his DeeTV interview, Hamilton refers to stability in the defence in front of him as a key factor in his/a keeper's game, I think he said the shutouts are partly due to an improvement in that this season....though we've still had a good few changes, given the changes in personnel. 

Getting the defence further out when we're defending high balls is definitely going to help a keeper deal with the ball....having to climb over your own defenders in the 6 yard box makes his job harder, far more likely to bump into someone when his eye's on a high ball.

Chicken and the egg thing. A good defence gives a keeper confidence and then a good keeper gives the defence confidence to push out.

I still think Hamilton can mature quite well but for whatever reason, his range of coming for things isn't good enough right now IMO and it does make a massive impact. A keeper patrolling his area kills so many attacks before they've even started and contributes to possession overall. Siegherst in the Derby was very good at coming for things.

Typical example was Aberdeen at home. Makes a terrific save at the goal but really could have come and gotten a fist on the ball before it developed. Not an easy skill but it's hugely important if you find one.

Bain in his first season is the last we've really had who could do that from what I can see and for whatever reason, that seemed to regress afterwards. Not sure why but maybe it's indicative of the defence in front of them like you suggest.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Just don't get the constant criticism of Hamilton

Because certain aspects of our support need a boo boy to make their life happy on a match day.

Like other keepers, he has his strength and weakness and in my opinion will only get better as time goes on.

There is nothing worse for a keepers confidence than having a shitty defence in front of you and constantly having to deal with constant attacks. I am sure if you took the likes of Manuel Neuer and put him in Dundee's team last season, we would still have sections of our support calling him a shite keeper.

3 hours ago, SaintMarieDees said:

However, he constantly fails to deal with anything in his 6 yard box, i come to wonder if it is the coaching he is receiving or it is just how he is as a keeper, Thoughts?

Considering that every keeper since Bain has stayed on their line rather than coming out to deal with balls, suggest to me that this is either coaching or tactics. Bain used to come off his lines when he first came to us, then he more or less stopped doing this and every keeper has done the same.

Personally, if a keeper feels comfortable coming off his line to command his 6 yard box, then he should be left alone to do it and not have that aspect of his game taken away from him.

Then again I might be wrong. :)

Keepers commanding there box has, in my opinion,  been a problem for the last 6/7 years. Have always wondered if it’s something with our coaching as it’s effected nearly every keeper we’ve had in that time. Some started there careers with us as relatively good at commanding there box and dealing with crosses but after a while it went out of f there game (Bain being a prime example).

IMO the expectation levels here don't always reflect reality and that will put extra pressure on the team to perform. If someone like Bain comes in from Alloa where the expectation levels are fairly low and is then met with the expectation that he should be come for, and take, everything here then I think that would affect his confidence because it's not realistic because a lot of the time he's overworked and simply can't take every ball without ever any misjudgements. It's bound to affect the players confidence in coming out when they're being hit with some of the criticism they get here. 

Adblock Detected