The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Napper

Mid Table Mediocrity

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, barkblue said:

And my point is that it will be as helpful, right now, if Ayr and ICT drop points too. Why does it all have to about United? 

Cause if we finish above them we win the league.

And the fact that I hate the [email protected]@@s

But agree that it would be nice for other Ayr and Inverness to drop points also.

Edited by Mr Sensible

6 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

But that’s one or two on a forum....

The general fanbase were more than happy first what I recall.

Remembered they got applauded off at Tannadice last game despite the defeat...

I think this board gives you a pretty good sense of how the fanbase are feeling generally. I find it tends to match what folk are saying in the pub. I'm not talking about that section of the fanbase who are always very supportive even when things go wrong.

2 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Cause if we finish above them we win the league.

And the fact that I hate the [email protected]@@s

But agree that it would be nice for other Ayr and Inverness to drop points also.

I watched youtube highlights of Ayr vs United a few weeks back. Ayr absolutely played them off the park for large parts of the game. Honestly, we need to stop fixating on United, it's not helpful to anyone.

The bit in bold is key. That's what matters to you (not criticising I may add) and that's why so many are so bothered about their results. I honestly believe some would be giving McPake more slack if we were ninth and they were tenth. I couldn't give two fucks about their results other than I want all the teams above us to lose.

Anyway, we're going round in circles mate. There's no right or wrong, we just see it a little differently. 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

I think this board gives you a pretty good sense of how the fanbase are feeling generally. I find it tends to match what folk are saying in the pub. I'm not talking about that section of the fanbase who are always very supportive even when things go wrong.

No sure how many post on here regularly, do they all go to the games even?

But that team was applauded off the pitch that day, not of course for there performance in particular but for the season on a whole...

6 minutes ago, barkblue said:

I watched youtube highlights of Ayr vs United a few weeks back. Ayr absolutely played them off the park for large parts of the game. Honestly, we need to stop fixating on United, it's not helpful to anyone.

The bit in bold is key. That's what matters to you (not criticising I may add) and that's why so many are so bothered about their results. I honestly believe some would be giving McPake more slack if we were ninth and they were tenth. I couldn't give two fucks about their results other than I want all the teams above us to lose.

Anyway, we're going round in circles mate. There's no right or wrong, we just see it a little differently. 👍

Like I say mate, if we don’t get our act together they win the league by a distance.

Thats why we need to start chipping away at there lead.

Despite there good start, Ayr United won’t win the league, hence the reason Uniteds results are paramount to our success this season...

Edited by Mr Sensible

5 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Like I say mate, if we don’t get our act together they win the league by a distance.

Thats why we need to start chipping away at there lead.

Despite there good start, Ayr United won’t win the league, hence the reason Uniteds results are paramount to our success this season...

Only if you are purely basing our success on either winning the league or finishing above United. I'm not.

1 minute ago, barkblue said:

Only if you are purely basing our success on either winning the league or finishing above United. I'm not.

If we finish above United it will have been a fantastic season...

Just now, Mr Sensible said:

If we finish above United it will have been a fantastic season...

And if we go up through the playoffs it will also have been a fantastic season. It really isn't all about them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, barkblue said:

And if we go up through the playoffs it will also have been a fantastic season. It really isn't all about them. 

That’s my point

Rather go up automatically than risk the lottery of the play offs....

8 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

That’s my point

And that's my point. No matter who was appointed our manager for this season, with the circumstances they came into I thought/think it was highly unlikely we'd win the league. 

As discussed on a few threads now, it all comes down to what our expectations were coming into this season. Fair to suggest yours were much higher than mine. 

19 minutes ago, barkblue said:

And that's my point. No matter who was appointed our manager for this season, with the circumstances they came into I thought/think it was highly unlikely we'd win the league. 

As discussed on a few threads now, it all comes down to what our expectations were coming into this season. Fair to suggest yours were much higher than mine. 

My expectations are to compete with United they are our main block to winning this league...

If the owner hadn’t given the manager such a generous budget, my expectations would have been less...but I would imagine also the owner expects us to competitive also at the top end of the league.

Edited by Mr Sensible
  • Like 1

Seven games in and the league table is a pretty good reflection of how we would have expected the season to pan out. United favourites to win the league are sitting top, Ayr, Inverness and Dundee fighting out the play off places.

McCall leaving Ayr might see them fall away as the season goes on but we might see Partick progressing up the league the challenge for the last play off place

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

My expectations are to compete with United they are our main block to winning this league...

If the owner hadn’t given the manager such a generous budget, my expectations would have been less...but I would imagine also the owner expects us to competitive also at the top end of the league.

And as I said, those were never really my expectations and as I've mentioned on another thread I don't think our squad, no matter the budget, is that far ahead of many other teams in the league. 

Never the twain shall meet, so I'll leave it there mate.

3 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

Seven games in and the league table is a pretty good reflection of how we would have expected the season to pan out. United favourites to win the league are sitting top, Ayr, Inverness and Dundee fighting out the play off places.

McCall leaving Ayr might see them fall away as the season goes on but we might see Partick progressing up the league the challenge for the last play off place

Did you expect to be 9 points off two teams after 7 games?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Sensible said:

Thing is....

Say they lose Friday or even draw, it’s a massive boost to us, you just had to see the impact the Celtic draw with Hibs in the early ko had on rangers, gave there players and fans a massive lift.

If you finish above the Arabs, you win the league, it’s as simple as that.

I love Utd losing but to be brutally honest (and sensible) I'd much rather they took points off of our rivals and ran away with the league, that would massively increase our play-off hopes. 

10 hours ago, Mr Sensible said:

That’s my point

What lottery is that?

2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

What lottery is that?

?

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I love Utd losing but to be brutally honest (and sensible) I'd much rather they took points off of our rivals and ran away with the league, that would massively increase our play-off hopes. 

If we are relying on help from other teams to help us get a top 4 spot in this league then we are in trouble...

Edited by Mr Sensible

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I love Utd

Just as well you didn't have a heart attack mid-sentence Rev.

• Funny 2

Problem i see is that up until quite recently, most fans (and the board IMO) probably saw this season as one of consolidation, rebuild, and if we didn't get up then it wasn't the end of the world.

However, the board have now backed the manager in signing Hemmings and Dorrans. I'd say expectations have now been raised both at fan and board level and the pressure is on mcpake more than it was prior to these two signing.

• Like 2