The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Night Mode Theme Poll

Rate this question

Would you like a Night Mode Theme for the forum?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a Night Mode Theme for the forum?

Question

It seems that Night Mode is becoming popular on many other websites, Youtube, Twitter to name a few who have introduced and made this available to their users.

Would you like us to release a Dark/Night Mode theme for the forum?

14 answers to this question

I ticked under 3rd choice...a what?

And I see BigG has done likewise.

I googled it, and it didn't really help.

Shorter definition below, appeared to be the simplest explanation ...

"In photography and digital photography, night mode is a function of the digital camera that is used when you are taking photos in low-light situations -- or at night time. ... Macro mode to focus on subjects close to the camera lens"

Personally I don't like the feel of night modes. They often make sites look decidedly dull. I might be in the minority there though.

11 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Personally I don't like the feel of night modes. They often make sites look decidedly dull. I might be in the minority there though.

Is there any particular mode barkblue you could recommend, that could make oor forum (& me) a barrel of laughs?

Even the voices in my head are looking for a new home. They said they can only take so much of my recent misery :wacko:

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

I ticked under 3rd choice...a what?

And I see BigG has done likewise.

I googled it, and it didn't really help.

Shorter definition below, appeared to be the simplest explanation ...

"In photography and digital photography, night mode is a function of the digital camera that is used when you are taking photos in low-light situations -- or at night time. ... Macro mode to focus on subjects close to the camera lens"

Actually, Dark Mode would probably be a better term than Night Mode.

If you have every been on a website in the middle of the night, with the lights out (Hey what you do in your private life has nothing to do with me! 😂), you will notice that the light coming from the screen can be quite bright and this will affect your eyes. Dark Mode is a design to prevent that glare coming from your screen and it is also known to prevent eye fatigue from prolonged exposure to bright glare from websites who use white backgrounds especially in the Dark.

For example: YouTube in normal mode:

image.png

Now YouTube with Dark Mode on:

image.png

10 minutes ago, barkblue said:

I only tend to use Dark Mode when I am viewing websites in the middle of the night as my eyes are sensitive to bright lights. As our forum is a light theme, it's pretty bright during the night when you are viewing it in the dark.

58 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Actually, Dark Mode would probably be a better term than Night Mode.

If you have every been on a website in the middle of the night, with the lights out (Hey what you do in your private life has nothing to do with me! 😂), you will notice that the light coming from the screen can be quite bright and this will affect your eyes. Dark Mode is a design to prevent that glare coming from your screen and it is also known to prevent eye fatigue from prolonged exposure to bright glare from websites who use white backgrounds especially in the Dark.

For example: YouTube in normal mode:

image.png

Now YouTube with Dark Mode on:

image.png

I only tend to use Dark Mode when I am viewing websites in the middle of the night as my eyes are sensitive to bright lights. As our forum is a light theme, it's pretty bright during the night when you are viewing it in the dark.

At the risk of sounding like a smart a**e, I've gotten into the habit of lowering the brightness of my screen if I'm sitting in dim lighting later in the day. I find that Dark Mode makes me squint more. I need specs for reading but only for really close up or small text and can happily (and as recommended) not use them for screen work. With Dark Mode I find I start to lose the clarity round the text. That's only a personal thing though, obviously, everyone's eyes are different and Dark Mode would be an option we could switch on and off as we wanted to, so if there's a demand, why not? Unless it's a huge amount of work?

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Is there any particular mode barkblue you could recommend, that could make oor forum (& me) a barrel of laughs?

Even the voices in my head are looking for a new home. They said they can only take so much of my recent misery :wacko:

I prescribe delirium Gedee. One dose, twice a day. Start small, maybe just a quick trip round the tomato patch in your long johns, then maybe a jaunt down the road wearing just a hat and socks before progressing to a wander round your nearest Asda in the buff. 

I can also pretty much assure you that if your seen doing this a couple of times, both you and the voices will quickly be rehoused! 😉 

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, barkblue said:

At the risk of sounding like a smart a**e, I've gotten into the habit of lowering the brightness of my screen if I'm sitting in dim lighting later in the day. I find that Dark Mode makes me squint more. I need specs for reading but only for really close up or small text and can happily (and as recommended) not use them for screen work. With Dark Mode I find I start to lose the clarity round the text. That's only a personal thing though, obviously, everyone's eyes are different and Dark Mode would be an option we could switch on and off as we wanted to, so if there's a demand, why not? Unless it's a huge amount of work?

I think you are under the impression that the Dark Mode would be the default theme, and that wouldn't be the case. Just like other websites and forums, Dark Mode would be the users choice to switch it on or off and wouldn't be enforced on our members.

I have already started working on this, but will require testing at some point. If you look at the bottom of the screen, click on Themes you will see a link for Night Mode, so if members can give feedback on it that would be great :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I think you are under the impression that the Dark Mode would be the default theme, and that wouldn't be the case. Just like other websites and forums, Dark Mode would be the users choice to switch it on or off and wouldn't be enforced on our members.

I have already started working on this, but will require testing at some point. If you look at the bottom of the screen, click on Themes you will see a link for Night Mode, so if members can give feedback on it that would be great :)

No, I was just giving my thoughts mate. I realised we'd be able to switch between. 👍

Just had a wee look and Night Mode actually works really well. I'd maybe use it from time to time.

On first observations (without actually leaving this thread) - it, to me, makes the 'text/reply box' quite indistinct and it's very difficult to see the bar chart element of the poll at the top. Other than that, looking pretty good. 

• Like 1

Changed my vote to yes! 

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, barkblue said:

No, I was just giving my thoughts mate. I realised we'd be able to switch between. 👍

Just had a wee look and Night Mode actually works really well. I'd maybe use it from time to time.

On first observations (without actually leaving this thread) - it, to me, makes the 'text/reply box' quite indistinct and it's very difficult to see the bar chart element of the poll at the top. Other than that, looking pretty good. 

Cheers 👍

As I said, I am still in the process of working on it and there will be some issues and that is probably one of the many that still need to be sorted (especially on mobile phones).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Changed my vote to yes! 

Good man! 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

There are many drugs on the market, but stay off the hard stuff as you will turn out like @chomp my root 😂

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, barkblue said:

I prescribe delirium Gedee. One dose, twice a day. Start small, maybe just a quick trip round the tomato patch in your long johns, then maybe a jaunt down the road wearing just a hat and socks before progressing to a wander round your nearest Asda in the buff. 

I can also pretty much assure you that if your seen doing this a couple of times, both you and the voices will quickly be rehoused! 😉 

My good friend, it seems you are a little behind the times .. I am well past that process.

When there was talk of "rehousing" I did not realise they were referring to a "Secure Unit"

Furnishings are minimal. Food offered is basic. But at last I am with like minded people.

Medication however is not an issue. The scare stories around Brexit, means all Medical

Staff, have made the necessary arrangements to depart from UK to return to their home.

The small goup of employees left, now multi-task, & share. on a rota system, the roles of

Cooks, Cleaners, Nurse, Doctors (I noted today the one who was changing our bed pans,

only last weeek is now Chief Hospital Consultant) Last weeks Ward Cleaning Squad now

carry two buckets. One for the floors, whilst the other bucket is filled with a range of pills.

Prescription Medication's no longer necessary ... Help yourself as the mood takes  you :excited:

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

There are many drugs on the market, but stay off the hard stuff as you will turn out like @chomp my root 😂

I didn't want to name names John ...

But Chomp was the Chief Hospital Consultant I was referring to in my post above.

And he seems much better since he has been given this additional responsibility:jawdrop:

• Funny 1