The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Inverness Heading for Admin?

Rate this topic

Looks like it?

This seems to have been coming for quite some time. Never had much affinity with that club but my heart goes out to the support.

1 minute ago, barkblue said:

This seems to have been coming for quite some time. Never had much affinity with that club but my heart goes out to the support.

You have to wonder how small clubs like Inverness and County manage to survive on the crowds that they get, especially when in this league.

7 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

You have to wonder how small clubs like Inverness and County manage to survive on the crowds that they get, especially when in this league.

Much like we have and still do, both of those clubs have spent much of their time in the pro leagues being completely reliant on wealthy individuals continually pouring money in for no more return than a bit of fun.

14 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Much like we have and still do, both of those clubs have spent much of their time in the pro leagues being completely reliant on wealthy individuals continually pouring money in for no more return than a bit of fun.

Still I think that only getting around 2k support compared to 4-5k would make a big difference. I honestly would find it hard to find a club these days who do not rely on our sources of income rather than just on gate money alone.

I think our Melville situation is a little different from theirs.

Edit: Just read that it was their Chairman and Director ended their spell, and their backing from the Muirfield Mills consortium.

Hasn't there not been a club that Scott Gardiner hasn't ruined during his tenure at those clubs? Didn't Hearts go tits up while he was there as well as well?

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I'd imagine Cobra may have some better 'local knowledge', but ICT, to a lesser degree than County with 'uncle Roy's' sponsorship & loans, have relied a lot on the SPFL sponsors/tv income, and local sponsorship from Orion Engineering. These business sponsorship deals don't go on forever, and I'm sure I recall the director (chairman?) who was Orion's owner had left ICT's board at some stage, maybe a couple of years ago? You take one of those income sources away from a club with a very small fanbase, and it's a huge problem for them to make ends meet. They offloaded quite a few players in summer, and recently loaned out a lot of young players to Ft.William, which may have seen the end of their youth/dev team.

They'd also suffer a lot from becoming a regular yo-yo club, a prolonged spell out of the Premiership will be very damaging.

You can probably put a few clubs into that 'precarious existence' bracket, where crowds rarely reach 3,000....ICT, County, Livi, Hamilton, Falkirk, Raith with the 4-5,000 crowd clubs slightly less precarious.  

I hope ICT survive (& County, if Roy's support ends someday), they've been an interesting addition to the top 2 leagues, but I'm not sure their area can realistically support both in the top league. It might help if we regionalise the leagues from or below championship level.

59 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Still I think that only getting around 2k support compared to 4-5k would make a big difference. I honestly would find it hard to find a club these days who do not rely on our sources of income rather than just on gate money alone.

I think our Melville situation is a little different from theirs.

Edit: Just read that it was their Chairman and Director ended their spell, and their backing from the Muirfield Mills consortium.

Hasn't there not been a club that Scott Gardiner hasn't ruined during his tenure at those clubs? Didn't Hearts go t*ts up while he was there as well as well?

I think that it illustrates just how (and I'll be kind here) 'carefree' we've been run since Keyes came in, we've spunked more cash against the wall than a lot of clubs combined during that time on player and manager contracts alone. The figure(s) we must have and still are paying towards ex-employees must be astronomical. ICT, for example, haven't really done that. They've allowed higher wage players to move on but still evolved their squad slowly, even when things have or haven't gone well. 

They also, probably, don't have the same overheads we do with regards their stadium and they've also had some generous friends in terms of sponsorship etc. Considering the problems we've had over the last couple of decades, it's fascinating (and worrying) just how untight a ship we run. If Keyes/Nelms/McPake are to be believed we've already extended the budget twice on big ticket players this season alone (Hemmings/Dorrans). Are clubs like ICT or Ross Co doing this? Or do their managers know that if they use the budget, then basically, that's it?

All that said, at ICT, the money men have dried up and, as I mentioned this has been mooted for months now with the changes behind the scenes basically confirming that the cash-flow would be ending. 

The thing with Melville was - much though he was a Walter Mitty - his business circumstances changed mid-investment AND he was, shall we say, led down the garden path in terms of the financial situation of the club when he walked in. He was meant to be an investor, not a sugar daddy. He also met some financial obligations after it all hit the wall that many would not have. (not that he was anything other than a chancer, mind).

From memory - so not sure - but was Gardiner not brought into Hearts after Budge saved the day? He was punted quick sharp though. He also came into Dens after Admin 2 not before. Bomber was his managerial appointment, remember... 

2 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Inverness chose ambition over living within their means (the same as Dundee and United) and it's a dangerous thing to do when you're reliant on decent crowds and your top flight status to pay the bills.

When Caley were in the Highland League they simply used their income to match their expenditure but once you've lifted silverware and gone toe-to-toe with the Old Firm just surviving is no longer good enough.

• Like 1

f**k'um. 

They got 25 years out of it. Off they pop back where they belong, hopefully. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeighorstsWang said:

f**k'um. 

They got 25 years out of it. Off they pop back where they belong, hopefully.

How's things in the Diplomatic Corps?

• Funny 4

22 hours ago, Cobra said:

Inverness chose ambition over living within their means (the same as Dundee and United) and it's a dangerous thing to do when you're reliant on decent crowds and your top flight status to pay the bills.

When Caley were in the Highland League they simply used their income to match their expenditure but once you've lifted silverware and gone toe-to-toe with the Old Firm just surviving is no longer good enough.

Think our problem is that we don't own our own ground so we have a significant cost that other teams don't have. According to Spoofer, ICT own their own ground, and don't have any bank debt. I'd love to know what a basic pro team costs. 22 players manager, coach, couple of assistant coaches, grounds staff, office staff, etc. anyone got some numbers?